Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Single skin sizeing for snowkite? Peak vs Explore?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
aidy makeando
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: lyall bay, wellington
Favorite Beaches: wherever the wind blows the sun shines and there's a good craic
Style: whatever suits my mood
Gear: slingshot RPMs 4.5m - 10m
shinn Ronson 136
north freestyle fish 5'
handmade carbon and paulownia foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Single skin sizeing for snowkite? Peak vs Explore?

Postby aidy makeando » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:27 am

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 pm
fernmanus wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:23 pm
If you primarily free ride, a single skin kite us a step backwards IMHO.
Depends also where or how you ride, but if there's a bit of backcountry walking involved to access the snow line or the right ridge to setup, then the size and weight of your pack does matter a lot, and the Peak wins there. Also the Peak is arguably easier to fly or forget, which matters when negociating tricky terrain. But I'm not really jumping on snow, so the lift advantage of the twinskins don't matter too much for me.
I use the 8m below 14kts, the 5 from 11 up to 18-20, and a 7m LEI afterwards which is a pain to carry, but a joy to fly. But I just bought a 4m Peak so as to have all options covered in a light weight fashion.

Hopefully the season ahead is full of snow, and limits the amount of walking involved to reach good terrain.
Bragnouff, If you were to have one dedicated snow / Hydrofoil kite what size Peak would you choose ?
I'm looking at 5 or 6m Peak 4 atm for both light wind hydrofoiling, and yet light enough to take on multi day Splitboard missions.
Living in Wellington its rare I need a light wind kite but for summer light wind days or roadtrips a Kite that stays in the sky quite appeals to me. Unfortunately I don't get down to snowfarm regularly enough to justify a snow quiver, but could happily throw a 1kg kite in on any trip

Aidy

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:11 am

That's a tough question, in my case at almost 100kg, the 5 doesn't really cut the mustard for sub 12kts on water, and I'd probably need about 10kts to achieve anything on the snow. In those conditions a typical 9m wave kite performs OK, hangs in the air, can relaunch correctly, is nimble and can deliver good peaks of power to deal with the terrain. So the 5m Peak is more a luxury to me. It's fun to fly, quick to setup, packs light, goes super deep downwind, it's a great kite but it's not actually a big game changer for me. Not as much as the 8. The 8 flies in almost no wind, has some usable pull in very light wind, is quite nimble and pleasant to fly on the snow to generate a bit more oomph, and as such it beats a 12m tube kite hands down. Same on the water, if I'm not powered enough with it, I can't get my ass on the board, but I can keep trying, I can also take a beating trying to bodydrag through the surf and keep the kite in the air. On my previous 12m one strutter, if I wasn't powered enough to get on the board, the kite wouldn't really stay in the air, and that would end in swimming. So many sessions I didn't even try to go out assuming it would be too light. With the Peak, I still tried to go out, and most of the times it lead to a decent session. Never dropped it, ever, in 18mths.
But a 8m would be a bit limited as a one size only, as it gets quite uncomfortable over 15kts, and a waste of good conditions. Doesn't really work as a one kite quiver, hence why I have a 5 (and a 4). And of course the smaller ones are much more fun to fly IF windy enough.

Since then, the 6m arrived, and from the discussions here, it seems like it can work on foil in about 10kts for average weight rider, so this could be a more valid one-kite-quiver option.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
Delta99 (Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:02 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:59 am

6 is likely a great crossover size. Used it at least a dozen times on snow. I think an 8m would be very nice on snow but as soon as there is a solid 10 knots the 6m is usable. Snow depending, 12-20 knots is ideal. Used the 5m only once and two stellar sessions on the 4m.

Interested to see how much use it gets on water. 10-12 knots is the plan.

aidy makeando
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: lyall bay, wellington
Favorite Beaches: wherever the wind blows the sun shines and there's a good craic
Style: whatever suits my mood
Gear: slingshot RPMs 4.5m - 10m
shinn Ronson 136
north freestyle fish 5'
handmade carbon and paulownia foils

Postby aidy makeando » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:21 am

Thanks, for the opinions ,
I weigh 70kg and my hydrofoil is pretty lifty, being approximately 1500 square CM custom wing that I made a couple of years ago, It keeps me flying on a lot smaller sizes at a lower speed than other riders. It maybe that when i finish the next wing I will need more power to get me up and riding but not sold on getting the 8m Peak atm
On the Snow, if its Sub 10 knots I'm happy to use the splitboard, the 6 seems to have a good range, and if i like it and use it enough I could add in a 4m for windier days
I'm thinking I'll try the 6m and see how I go.

Aidy

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:42 am

Sure, at 70kg, the 6m will be a great option to start with.
I don't think the size of the foil matters that much for the low end of the Peak. It really is about lifting your bum out of the water first. And from then on, a kite loop or two will typically accelerate you enough to get on the foil. Of course, big foil will take off faster at that stage, but that's not really the limiting factor at play here. It's the initial pull that matters.

Return to “Snow / Land”