Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Single skin sizeing for snowkite? Peak vs Explore?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Delta99
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stockholm
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Single skin sizeing for snowkite? Peak vs Explore?

Postby Delta99 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:58 pm

What is a recommend size on a single skin kite for snowkiteing?

For eg, will a Peak 4 8 sqm do it all? Or do I need a 5 and 8 to be comfortable? I only snowkite in wind below 16-18 knots. Preferably 8-12 knots. But I don't want a big kite. I have several double skin ram air foil kites but in the larger sizes they are a hassle and I'm looking for easier general "administration".

I have no preference between Peak and Explore. What do you think?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Single skin sizeing for snowkite? Peak vs Explore?

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:51 am

Delta99 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:58 pm
I have no preference between Peak and Explore. What do you think?
Pretty big price difference! Why go Ozone when the peak 4 has resale value to hydrofoilers?
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Delta99 (Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:58 pm

Have been using the 6m peak on snow with snowboard (175 lbs). It's perfect for my needs: riding flat terrain in 10-20 knots. I am sure the 8m is a really great snow kite, with more utility if you are going to ride uphill, but wanted the summer foiling utility with quicker handling of the 6. I am not regretting that choice at all. The 8m would no doubt have me powered up sooner, but it would definitely start flapping in under 20 knot where the 6m better covers my desired range. Super light wind moments are usually just a part of winter kiting and so far I can't see anyone, regardless of kite size having a whole lot more fun on the low end. With the 6 I can work it to just tool around unhooked and have just as much fun as everyone else on bigger slower kites. As soon as the wind hits 12 knots the 6 is firing on all cylinders and I really appreciate the playful handling.

If you are heavier, want to ride uphill, routinely deal with deep snow, the 6 is likely not enough kite.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Delta99 (Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:14 pm)

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Postby Sceotend » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:54 pm

I have a Peak 4 8m kite. I'm 200 lbs / 90 kg and a novice on skis. I have now had about ten starts. I think it's a great snow kite at least for a novice. It's a really safe kite, collapses instantly when it hits the ground. Also, if you grab either steering lines high enough the kite flags instantly. B-safety is very effective, yet I'm using it only at the upper end of my wind range. The 5th line is a hassle and I have tangled the lines badly with it. I might use it later on, when I never tangle the lines without it. I can handle it quite easily up to 15 knot, when gusts are around 20 knot on the ice. The only real downside for me has been the modest upwind capability. My upwind angle is probably max 20 - 30 degrees when the wind is constant and at around 15 knot. Also, the highest angle slows the speed down a lot. I seem to lose either some speed or angle to foils and LEIs - other novices included. The Peak 4 8m is a relatively slow kite. I have read that smaller Peaks are significantly faster. 
These users thanked the author Sceotend for the post:
Delta99 (Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:32 pm)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:55 pm

So looking up the price difference

8m Ozone "Explore" with bar is $1600

8m Flysurfer "Peak 4" with bar $1100

What would make the Ozone possibly worth that much more than the Flysurfer???

Again, given the "Peak 4" is a highly desirable kite for hydrofoiling AND snow - why would anyone consider the Ozone "Explore"?
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Delta99 (Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:42 am)

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:23 pm

I own 4 single-skin kites - Peak 4 5m, 11m, 13m and Peak 3 8m.

The Peak is great for beginners and high mountain touring on the snow and hydrofoiling on the water. However, for free riding on the snow, I think a closed cell kite like a Soul or Sonic are a lot more fun. I can do just about everything with a Peak that I can do with a Soul, the Soul just does everything better. It boosts higher, glides better, it is more stable and more fun to fly. The Sonic is less stable, but boosts higher and glides better with less bar pressure. If you primarily free ride, a single skin kite us a step backwards IMHO.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
Delta99 (Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:43 am)

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:14 am

Delta99 what is your weight? For 8 - 12 knots, I probably wouldn't go any smaller than a 8m, unless you are pretty light and/or riding on pretty hard snow.

The Gin Shaman3 is another option you might look at. I'm 190lbs and 6-15 knots is my preferred wind range for the 9m when riding in a few inches of powder.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:23 pm
If you primarily free ride, a single skin kite us a step backwards IMHO.
Depends also where or how you ride, but if there's a bit of backcountry walking involved to access the snow line or the right ridge to setup, then the size and weight of your pack does matter a lot, and the Peak wins there. Also the Peak is arguably easier to fly or forget, which matters when negociating tricky terrain. But I'm not really jumping on snow, so the lift advantage of the twinskins don't matter too much for me.
I use the 8m below 14kts, the 5 from 11 up to 18-20, and a 7m LEI afterwards which is a pain to carry, but a joy to fly. But I just bought a 4m Peak so as to have all options covered in a light weight fashion.

Hopefully the season ahead is full of snow, and limits the amount of walking involved to reach good terrain.

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:08 am

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 pm

Depends also where or how you ride, but if there's a bit of backcountry walking involved to access the snow line or the right ridge to setup, then the size and weight of your pack does matter a lot, and the Peak wins there. Also the Peak is arguably easier to fly or forget, which matters when negociating tricky terrain. But I'm not really jumping on snow, so the lift advantage of the twinskins don't matter too much for me.
Agree on all counts. If you are doing any amount of hiking/skinning, want a small pack size, with fly-and-forget/easy handling - single skins are hard to beat. I can now fit 2 kites, 2 bars and all my backcountry gear in a 32L bag for a day trip and cover pretty much any foreseeable wind range. Weight also makes a difference so that you don't feel top-heavy and off-balance when skiing with gear packed away.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:47 am

. Depends also where or how you ride, but if there's a bit of backcountry walking involved to access the snow line or the right ridge to setup, then the size and weight of your pack does matter a lot, and the Peak wins there. Also the Peak is arguably easier to fly or forget, which matters when negociating tricky terrain. But I'm not really jumping on snow, so the lift advantage of the twinskins don't matter too much for me.
I use the 8m below 14kts, the 5 from 11 up to 18-20, and a 7m LEI afterwards which is a pain to carry, but a joy to fly. But I just bought a 4m Peak so as to have all options covered in a light weight fashion.

Hopefully the season ahead is full of snow, and limits the amount of walking involved to reach good terrain.
You are going to like that 4m Peak a whole lot more than packing a 7m LEI and a pump!

Get a lightweight bar to go with it. :thumb:

Return to “Snow / Land”