Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up
Brand Affiliation: None

Comparison of 5-line foil-kites

Postby jbrodin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Kiting is an endless process of optimization. Last summer I tried to prepare for winter (while kiting on the water) by planing the perfect set-up for snow-kiting. I landed on a combo of a 10m2 FS Soul, with an extra bar with 45 m lines, and 4m2 Peak4. It's a pretty good combo, but if I was to settle on this, what should I then be thinking about while I kite all summer?

The main weakness in the set-up is the Soul. While it is a perfect kite when the wind is right, it has three draw backs for my needs. It is not quite good enough when the wind gets really light, even with the long lines, when the wind is really strong, I miss the 5-line safety, and it is still a bit big and heavy when I pack it down. The solution might just be to replace it with a 8m or 11m FS Peak4. But what about all the other brands?

Here is my question: My requirements are 5-line safety, excellent light wind capability, and overall excellence. Has anyone out there tested all the relevant brands? Ozone, Flysurfer, Gin, Peter Lynn etc.? Is there a good side-by-side test out there?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Re: Comparison of 5-line foil-kites

Postby joriws » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:57 pm

Sorry cannot answer your question, but I'd like to question your requirement of 5th line on foil kite (or kite in general). Sure Peak4 at snowy mountain peak howling winds with 5th line is nice to take kite down and pack. But on summer I disconnect Peak's 5th line and use traditional front-line-safety (FLS). This is due to fact that if kite inverts in crash&water or in-air-luff or really any (user)error, 5th line would be "wrap" line prohibiting relaunch. Without 5th you just relaunch kite and fly lines crossed. Also easier setup before launch as less lines to sort out.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:35 pm

Not answering the OP, but more the follow up.

Used Peaks all winter on snow and only rigged the biggest one 5 line. Pulled out the others a few times so have a pretty good feel for direct comparison 4 to 5 line.

Where I would never rig them 5 line for water use, I will definitely convert my biggest kite to 5 line again next winter. Once I got over the learning curve of do's and don'ts, 5 line was a dream for snow use often in places with no sheltered spot to land. You have great control to back it down and park it straight downwind, no flipping or rolling. Can simply wind your lines to the kite with the 5th pulled for super fast and easy no tangle wrap up. Simply reverse steps for just as fast and easy launch next time out. The 5th only messes up when you try and land it 4 line style at the edge of the window. Use the 5th every time when taking it down and its super convenient to launch, land or simply take a pee break no matter the location. Love it. Not enough to go through the hassle of rigging all my Peaks that way when they only get used a couple times, but for the daily driver, its well worth the 10 min it takes to convert the bar.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
jbrodin (Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jbrodin
Medium Poster

Postby jbrodin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:06 pm

joriws wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:57 pm
Sorry cannot answer your question, but I'd like to question your requirement of 5th line on foil kite (or kite in general). Sure Peak4 at snowy mountain peak howling winds with 5th line is nice to take kite down and pack. But on summer I disconnect Peak's 5th line and use traditional front-line-safety (FLS). This is due to fact that if kite inverts in crash&water or in-air-luff or really any (user)error, 5th line would be "wrap" line prohibiting relaunch. Without 5th you just relaunch kite and fly lines crossed. Also easier setup before launch as less lines to sort out.
The requirement for the 5th line is precisely because of the howling winds on the mountain peaks, which happen to be a not uncommon occurrence (I live and snowkite in Norway). I will still hold on to my Soul for the summer and for those occasions in the snow where I play under predictable circumstances.

Meaning, I am about ready to get a Peak 8m or 11m, but it would be nice to know how the comparable kites from other brands compare.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:03 am

I don't think on recent Flysurfer kites you get anymore option for 5th line safety except the Peak. Speed3, maybe Speed4lotus also had attachment points for fifth line.

I think the general problem with fifth and closed cell kite is that attachment points are few, like 4 to kite. If you activate safety in howling winds the lift from kite is enormous and during safety extension cause load to one cell wall ripping attachment and opening up the seams.

With fls the load distributes more throughout into kite.

I though as summer is coming you were more looking solution for the liquid water where 5th line is a con.

I've flown Sonic1-3 15m, multiple Speeds at Finnish lapland fjells. Sometimes even overpowered, but I've always managed to self land with backstalling and pulling a line to flag out. Sure the Peak4 5m is nice to 5th line backstall and steer to ground.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
jbrodin (Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jbrodin
Medium Poster

Postby jbrodin » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:30 pm

joriws wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:03 am
I don't think on recent Flysurfer kites you get anymore option for 5th line safety except the Peak. Speed3, maybe Speed4lotus also had attachment points for fifth line.

I think the general problem with fifth and closed cell kite is that attachment points are few, like 4 to kite. If you activate safety in howling winds the lift from kite is enormous and during safety extension cause load to one cell wall ripping attachment and opening up the seams.

With fls the load distributes more throughout into kite.

I though as summer is coming you were more looking solution for the liquid water where 5th line is a con.

I've flown Sonic1-3 15m, multiple Speeds at Finnish lapland fjells. Sometimes even overpowered, but I've always managed to self land with backstalling and pulling a line to flag out. Sure the Peak4 5m is nice to 5th line backstall and steer to ground.
When I specified 5-line foil kites I meant single skins or open cell kites that collapse into a ball when flagged out.

Return to “Snow / Land”