toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board
Brand Affiliation: None

Snow kite Idaho need advice riding partners

Postby toddsphresh » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:51 am

In Idaho staying in McCall. Was curious if riding anywhere around here is possible
Was thinking lake Cascade would be okish to get my started. Been kiting for 20 years on water and have all my kites and a snowboard here. Don't mind driving all the way to Fairfield but figured their has to be somewhere closer

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Omega board

Re: Snow kite Idaho need advice riding partners

Postby toddsphresh » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:49 pm

2023 out for all next month February. same question

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:04 pm

Be willing to travel to get the best conditions. Luckily there are highway web cameras at many of the great kite spots in Idaho, Wyoming, & Montana. You can even get up-to-the-minute wind reports from most of them. I think the closest to McCall might be Pine Turnoff, but there's Tom Cat Summit, Antelope Flats, Gilmore Summit, Henry's Lake, in Idaho, Monida Pass, Reynolds Pass, Big Hole Pass in Montana and Bondurant in Wyoming all within striking distance of McCall. Use NOAA point forecasts for staying up to speed on which location might have the best option for any particular day and check into the state's highway web camera systems to get the current status. It can vary quite a bit from 1 spot to the next on any given day. I'm headed to Monida Pass tomorrow - conditions are great & the forecast is solid.
These users thanked the author lewmt for the post:
toddsphresh (Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

watercamper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 146
Local Beach: US: the Columbia river Gorge, lower Columbia river, Oregon coast. Mexico: La Ventana (Rasta beach in El Sargento) BCS
Style: Foil mostly, Surf, TT on the ocean
Gear: Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8 UFO V2; 3, 9m V1.1
Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8,9m SST
Flysurfer Peak4, 4, 5, 6, 8: Peak5, 4
Flysurfer Hybrid 3.5
Naish Pivot 8,9m
Liquid Force Mission Control bars modified for foil with Infexion seat belt, DIY lines
Ocean Rodeo click bar
Lift Classic 150, 101 cm mast
Sabfoil W590/S330, 101 cm mast; W550/S325; W679/S483
Slingshot 2020 107cm micro Dwarf Craft board strapless, 11 liter
Slingshot 2022 100 cm Dwarf Craft, strapless, 11 liter
4'10" Firewire Evo Helium
Cabrinha 137 n 141 Tronic
Mystic, Ion, O'Neill, Buell, Patagonia, Pro-Tec, Liros, Infexion

Postby watercamper » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:39 pm

Go join the google group kiteboardidaho and ask your question there. Lots of local knowledge.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:49 pm

I have kited on Lake McCall in the summer, it was a pain as it is mostly tree-lined, but should be fine in the winter. There are also a lot of fields on the way into McCall that look good. Of course, you have to be careful not to kite on private property without permission.

Once you get bored, of going back and forth on a frozen lake, try some of the other spots. The Camus Valley is incredible.

I wish that the Idaho/Wyoming/Montana kiters would give us a better 411 on the spots and conditions. It would be good to know the altitude at each location, what wind direction works best, terrain, snowpack, etc. Some places mentioned by lewmt are world class and others not so much, but they are rattled off in the same sentence as if they are all equal. To be sure, they are not.

I am curious if Craters of the Moon has much snow this year? That place is epic.

This is a good year to hit up the Fish Lake Complex in Utah.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
toddsphresh (Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:17 pm)

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:34 am

Virtually all of the places mentioned can be world class if conditions are right. To go into details for each spot with wind directions and when its -on- or not would take pages of writing. Some of the MT & Idaho spots have very specific conditions needed and some offer different locations within the "named" area depending on wind direction & current conditions. Some I've never kited but heard good things about. Most I have, and have decent knowledge on when & how they work. The best idea is to pm me with questions & based on your timing and location I'll be happy to give more details. With snow a lot can change in the course of a season. If you're planning a trip in March - an epic spot today may turn to boiler plate sastrugi or be baring off between now & then. It's best to get beta very close to the timing of your trip.
These users thanked the author lewmt for the post:
toddsphresh (Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:29 am)

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:45 pm

@toddsphresh - I may be heading over from PDX to McCall and/or the Fairfield area in mid-February 2/16-20. I’m leaning more toward a dedicated snow kiting trip but I also have a couple Brundage tickets to use. I’ve never snow kited but I’m itching to give it a go. I’ll check in with you if you are still around when I come.

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:21 am

sounds good just got out here and available now. Down to ride Brundage or Tamarack any day. looked like camas valley soldier field had 20 knots wind all day windiest ive seen it since i stared monitoring it. ready to go check it out now got a 17, 13 , and 9

Return to “Snow / Land”