Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135
Brand Affiliation: None

PLKB Ibex vs Ozone Chrono Exp

Postby lederhosen » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:28 pm

Has anybody tried the Ibex in 10 or 12 and can compare to Chrono? Has it even been seen in the wild? There seems to be almost no information on the ibex but it looks like a reasonable kite for low wind ride up and fly down.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Re: PLKB Ibex vs Ozone Chrono Exp

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:58 pm

I do not know the Ibex but looking at the design specification and shape, they are hardly comparable and not in the same category ! Chrono is a closed cell performant kite , Ibex is open cell lower aspect ratio dedicated to snow ... there are plenty of kite in each of these two catogories ... low ratio closed cells for example as another in-between category.

I have not tried but Chrono should me more rapid, more lift during jumps or change of ride size, larger turns, more instable in extreme wind window, less instant depower, less pull when crossing the window, less constant loop to climb the slope , less secure when actuating the safety on snow because it keeps the air inside... very different unless I miss something...

Do you want to compare because you know the chrono well or to make a choice without knowing them ?

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:08 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:58 pm
I do not know the Ibex but looking at the design specification and shape, they are hardly comparable and not in the same category ! Chrono is a closed cell performant kite , Ibex is open cell lower aspect ratio dedicated to snow ... there are plenty of kite in each of these two catogories ... low ratio closed cells for example as another in-between category.

I have not tried but Chrono should me more rapid, more lift during jumps or change of ride size, larger turns, more instable in extreme wind window, less instant depower, less pull when crossing the window, less constant loop to climb the slope , less secure when actuating the safety on snow because it keeps the air inside... very different unless I miss something...

Do you want to compare because you know the chrono well or to make a choice without knowing them ?
The parts in bold above are not correct. The Chrono EXP (as referred to by the original post) is the open cell snow kite version of the standard Chrono (closed cell), and the EXP version also includes Ozones internal re-ride system to allow the kite to fully collapse and depower when required.

It's worth noting that the Chrono V4 wasn't offered in an EXP version. Whereas the Chrono V3 was.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:26 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:

I am interested in a light opencell with some glide and a bsafe-like safety. The ibex is new and costs less, so maybe it is a good idea.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:12 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:08 pm
Regis-de-giens wrote:

The parts in bold above are not correct. The Chrono EXP (as referred to by the original post) is the open cell snow kite version of the standard Chrono (closed cell), and the EXP version also includes Ozones internal re-ride system to allow the kite to fully collapse and depower when required.

It's worth noting that the Chrono V4 wasn't offered in an EXP version. Whereas the Chrono V3 was.
Ah ok thank you for the clarification, I did not know and just learned something new ! :thumb: I had indeed the "standard" Chrono in mind;

PS :
- Just a side remark (not applicable to Chrono which is a real open cell kite ) : some closed cell kites like Little Cloud Pelican are "convertible" to open cells by opening some valves ; good idea for more versatility, but they keep however part of their pressure inside longer than full open cells ; so when you have to land the kite very rapidly at a crest of a hill, where wind can be very violent and dangerous, they are more dangerous because they present more surface exposed to wind during a longer time; (however I only uses closed cell kite for my own snow kite practice);
- I have found here that Chrono v3 also exists in EPX ; with this magic re-ride line

Sorry for my his "unspoted" message :bye:

Return to “Snow / Land”