Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How much of an annoyance are hourglass skis?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Craddock
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: 175
Gear: Slingshot fuel
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: How much of an annoyance are hourglass skis?

Postby Craddock » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:20 am

Three pairs of my skis have non-indemnified bindings. Personally I am less worried about them not releasing then releasing when I don't want. This applies to the hill not kiting. Have not snowkited yet and only have a 13m fuel to play/learn kiting on at the moment I don't think older bindings are less prone to release. I think the opposite maybe. I have one pair of skis that binding was recalled due to heal piece cracking. The older that plastic gets the more I worry. Its a GS system ski that is a blast on groomers but that binding scares me. I wish I saved some old straight skis for this kite I'm learning

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:11 pm

Big snow dump in Illinois right now, going to have to dig out my old skis and have a go. Only tried it a few times in the past 15 years and in addition to being bloody cold after a good dump, there are no hills here so it is all open country and harvested fields. The snow sticks to the harvested corn fields, but they are very rough, so we prefer to go on harvested soybean fields, but the snow gets blown off them so it tends to be thin. I know a large soybean field nearby with no powerlines near it. Wish me luck!

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:34 pm

Da Yoda nails it.

If you want to get a non-indemnified binding serviced or if you want to be set at a DIN setting outside spec's, shops have the option of having you sign a waiver. But most won't take it on.

In regard to how side cut affects the ride. It depends a lot on how hard you engage the edge, how hard the surface is and how fast you are moving.

At moderate speeds and soft snow, just weighting the edge, most skis are tolerable.

Here's what we recommend to our clients.

https://www.hardwaterkiter.com/skis-boards-boots.html

Return to “Snow / Land”