Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

BEST yaga11 Thanks Eric...

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
jmdpkgfnw
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jmdpkgfnw » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:20 am

My two pence on the 9 metre yarga. For the past seasons I have been struggling with higher aspect kites in gusty conditions that have been too strong for me. The wind picks up and its suddenly game over, with a fast kite like a yarga even if it is underpowered its quite easy to work it by fast turning and still keep ground. I do not understand why people do not think its a good beginner kite - much nicer to have a kite that easily relaunches & doesn't pull you down wind like a trojan when things get hairy. Or maybe I just need to be better at holding my edge??

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Wetstuff » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:16 pm

15jun

Aaaaaaaaaah...that's better. Three hours of heavy (heavier) air. The air, bayside, was small whitecaps with dark wind lines w/occasional heavier gusts*. It still does not rock back on its heels, but never fell out either. (there's only single front and back points per tip - so what's a 'beginner' setting?)

In the strong puff's she'd jelly a tick, then set her teeth like a wiling mule. I had more damn fun jamming my back foot .. digging a furrow and muscling the kite.

...as good a session as this was: it still wants more air for my weight. I'd suggest anyone my size get a larger one for general useage.

...and I'll have another major-brand 12 to try it with soon.

Jim

*windsurfers taught me to ignore meters - just look at the water. ....or see what the best guys are flying and reduce the size of your kite by something equal to your lesser skills.

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:08 pm

Este cometa es Se Vende. Spanglish for: this kite is For Sale. I've got 9 thru 20 and am finding that 12-16 are probably all I need, as I'm not going out in squally, North Atlantic hurricane s__t ...and, on the other side; anything under 10kts-and-increasing is a pure exercise in futility - at my weight of 85k's. As this is the review section, it's posted in the Used Kite section of Toby's forum.

Jim

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:02 pm

Summary: I've had a few more hours with this kite. It's still faster than sh_t which is good/bad. I gather you can slow it down with the inboard connections, which would be a good for a beginner - because you'll either get hammered, or the kite will be trashed from you zooming thru the power zone all the time. I prefer it faster, but will use the slower settings for winds 20kts+ because it's a handfull when you have an angry ocean to deal with at the same time.

After attempting to sell it for two months with only one decent prospect, I'm not convinced the 'buying cheap' mantra will benefit anyone except those who will simply fly them 'till they're trash - which may after all, be the real way to approach this sport because all kites have gotten so much better. I was looking at a new Cabby 16.5 and the list was $1900. Get serious!

I'm still convinced that the best buys are branded kites sold as excess inventory (if you HAVE to have new...) in the Fall, or simply a used branded kite.

This will join my North 9.3 as another rarely used, but ready-to-fly companion.

At 85 kilos it seems I can do 90% of my business with a 12 & 16.

Jim

Return to “Reviews”