Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

proof of concept : peterlynn charger 12

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
funalex
Very Frequent Poster

proof of concept : peterlynn charger 12

Postby funalex » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:47 pm

No, not the naish charger... it's a review of the 2010 Charger kite, a peterlynn kite. -> http://www.kite-line.com/images/headers/peter-lynn.jpg

Normally I needn't to pay my gear, but my girlfriend wanted to change her venom, so I bought a charger 12 (mostly for autozenith), she always wants to ride only that kite :P
So I gave it a try to see if a foil kite like that would be a good kite for freestyle...for those who don't want to read all...the answer is YES. (pmu will kill me)

During the previous hour, I've tested the torch 12m 2011, so I'll compare with it.

Winds : 14 increasing slowly to 18 knots (average)
board : xenon laluz+bindings, 72 kg
level : most of actuel freestyle moves, a little of oldschool. no wave, sorry.
kite knowledge : I owned hadlowpro, hifi comp, tryed a lot vegas, torch, and every famous actual kite...I've also designed my own prototype

First, great for bindings, the autozenith is great to attach them and to recover after a crash...I enjoyed it a lot for that. Most of the time, the kite on suicide leash doesn't fall on the water when you crash a blind judge for example, it would be good for kickers and sliders, or to learn mobes.

The quick turns are great but different than on the torch (same bar size), quicker than the torch when the kite speed increase, but lower when the kite is at the edge. When the kite is parked, at the very beginning it dives slower, then it takes a lot of speed and it reaches the edge of the wind windows so quick !... probably good for wave rider...but slighlty disturbing when you dive the kite for the first time to go, prepare to send it again to park and ride.

So remember, when the kite is static, the kite won't show you its power

For freestyle, I managed a backmobe and a frontmobe directly at the beginning of the session, I hadn't to take time to adapt my technic. I throw moves as usual.
To compare, I can't say a torch is easier or not, because it's slightly different, the charger is more smooth to pop, and you need a lot of speed and power to have a good pop, and freestyle beginner will be disturbed on that (most of them are too slow), but the confort make the pop easier in moderate winds because you are not disturbed by gusts.

The slack after pop is not as on-off as on tube-kite, the charger does the same, but you need to change a little your timing and your angle of approach. After 30 minutes of moves, it's ok, you've found it, absolutely no need for more strength like on bow-kite for example, it's true C-kite.

Upwind is normal for a c-kite, depower is on par with the torch 12, maybe a little more, high jump are really ok, you are high, but float is really lower than with the torch 12.

For the same size, the charger is really faster than the torch, less float, and maybe higher jump, finally should be compared more with a 10,5m C-tube-kite, for kiteloop also. I never had the impression of a 12m kite !

I think, we shouldn't be afraid of getting a 15m, to compare it with a 12-13m tube kite, I think for this concept, size doesn't matter, you don't need to pump ;) and so speed !

pros:
-autozenith for bindings advanced wakestyle and beginners
-confort, helping a massive pop in gusty winds
-really a small size bag, no pump, no tube to fix, great for traveler

cons:
-this kite don't like to be static, it comes alive only when you move it, it doesn't match with a slow board, you need speed.
-no instant depower in full wind window like on some SLE tube kite, you need to wait the kite to reach the edge, it's a c-kite.
-you need to practice the relaunch/launch/landing technic

I couldn't believe it before, but for sure it could be used in PKRA, if you can try one, do it.
I just hope this concept to be continued !

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: proof of concept : peterlynn charger 12

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:13 am

Good review, nice to hear from a freestyler on the arc as opposed to us freeriders :thumb:

Agree with the speed - they like to ride fast so flat water helps too - and the lack of float - hard landings from a good height but they should top loop ok? I'll get to that, one day.

What's the projected area of the Torch?

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MonkeyAir » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:51 am

Yep, would have to agree with your review Funalex. Thanks for that. On a efficient directional the kites work very well. On a twin tip as a free styler, you had some great observations. Funny in that the arcs of old were always superior to tubes for float. The charger is much quicker so it took us a bit to figure how to actually sheet in to keep the kite over head after throwing it back forward. A bit more than the arc designs of old. Stoked you liked it. Ironically PL makes a great tube kite as well and had a great day in super light stuff with an old school fish surfboard and then a basic thruster strapless haveing a blast. They do have good fun products in a broad range of kites and we too hope they don't stop making the arc designs. Really don't think they will. Thinking a 15 charger with a SUP board in the light stuff could be a real blast with the ease of them staying up in the light air and auto zenith.
Thanks again for a realistic review.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Got any more info or pics on the PL tube?

maddy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby maddy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 pm

good to hear you have been so positively impressed .
tks for the report, it fits a lot with the ones I have been checking since summer 2010.

The size comparaison goes like 7/9 tube 10 Charger, 9/11 tube 12 Ch and yes 12/13 with 15 CH
wind ranges speed and turning is working like that because of the C shape and because of the arc structure but it's not a limit at all. Even in the sky the CH looks smaller than it's size.

I think we should say thanks and BRAVO to all the people who has been working on this concept since the very beginning of it.
Having a four liner NO pump kite, performing like that, looks likes a sort of a miracle to me.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Personally i felt the autozenith on this kite left alot to be desired. Especially in gusty conditions. Left alone the kite has a mind of its own.
The kite turns super quick but has no power in the turn. This combined with the fast acceleration of the kite made the power feel very off/on when flown agressively. I found myself doing more of a lazy turn to keep the power up through the turn.

Return to “Reviews”