Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help Please...14m evo 2011 or big mamma?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
luckymitchell
Rare Poster
Local Beach: isle o' white, worthing, hove, boscome, hua hin, koh samui, koh pha-gnan
Favorite Beaches: hua hin, mui ne
Style: wake, freestyle
Gear: 2010 north evo 9&12m wainman 15m big mama!!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help Please...14m evo 2011 or big mamma?

Postby luckymitchell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:12 am

i'm looking for a larger kite for light(er) wind but i'm stuck between the 14m evo(2011) and the 15m big mamma.

i'm not looking for new school tricks, just old school riding with a light feeling kite and generally not sitting on the beach bored waiting for the wind to pick up!

i have tried a 14m rebel which i thought was ok and a 14m switchblabe that felt was so slow and heavy.

i have a 12m evo but not sure how much more powerful the 14 will be..then again will the extra 1m of the wainman make much more difference then the 14 evo?

i'm able to try the mamma when the wind picks up, but not the evo..i have the north bar already so its cheaper..but cost isnt really an issue....any info will be grateful.

can anyone tell me the the pros n cons for each

thanks

james

sojopo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tawas, Metro Beach, Michigan, USA
Favorite Beaches: Tawas
Style: noobie
Gear: 12m Cabrinha Convert, OR Mako King

Re: HELP PLEASE...14m evo 2011 or big mamma??

Postby sojopo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:12 pm

I had a 16m havoc and traded it for a 14m epic screamer. Pulls like a 16 and turns like a 12. You'll see lots of foment on the brand, Dmitri does alot of promotion on this forum, and some don't like that. But the kite is solid. Check one out if you can, you won't be sorry.

And no, I don't sell for them or anything, just appreciate a good product!

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Help Please...14m evo 2011 or big mamma?

Postby Ned Divine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Maybe you know all that and have read about it but just in case you haven't :
1/ new closed cell foils (eg Flysurfer Speed3) are superb lightwind kites to my experience
2/ A bigger lightwind board helps a lot to kite on lightwind days

tree
Rare Poster

Postby tree » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Haven't flown the Evo, but I love the Big Mamma. Demoed the BM and the Zephyr and it was a really easy choice for me because the BM turns so much more quickly. Thought the Zephyr was a snoozer by comparison. I love being able to ride my normal twin tip in light wind.

Litewave Dave
Frequent Poster

Postby Litewave Dave » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:32 pm

We did a head-to-head test with a Big Mama and a GK-Trix 15m at the L.A. Expo last summer and the Trix turned faster, went upwind better, and had more pull. This was a test in about 12-13mph with a 175lb. rider.

Upwind ability was obviously better from the shore, but turning, was what the rider, Mat Sweeting told me.

Give the Trix a try, you won't be disappointed. The review on http://www.sbckiteboard.com/2011-kite-r ... ws_id=1599 is a good one. Also ask any kite-repair person about the quality of construction compared to other kites.

Return to “Reviews”