Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

which freeride board for weak knees / antivibration?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: which freeride board for weak knees / antivibration?

Postby mr moon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:25 pm

yeah... pads look real good! I got some nice one also on my new blunt, 3d too. They are amazing as they take your feet shape and they absorb so much!

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart
Been thanked: 0

Postby Galeltic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 pm

mr moon wrote:yeah... pads look real good! I got some nice one also on my new blunt, 3d too. They are amazing as they take your feet shape and they absorb so much!
Glad that u got pads also what kind board u got ? just curious

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:13 am

mr moon wrote:Thanks everyone for your great input on this post. In the end I've bought a Wainman Blunt 135 and I've already tested it in 25knots on a 9mt for around 3 hours and the following day in around 15kn on a BiG Mama for another 2 and half hours... Normally I'd be in pain on my right hand trashed knee, now absolutely NO PAIN!!!

This board rocks, is sooooo smooth that you feel like flying on the water! it's lightweight, great for control in the air, and the landings? You don't even feel like landing, in fact it's lie landing on fresh powder when you go back country snowboarding!!!

The shape is so right that you don't get any splashes around, it's a real dream board. The pads are super soft and shock absorbing, it's like kiting with suspensions.

The quite pronounced rocker makes it real fun in carving without affecting the great pop...

Two of my friends borrowed it to try it and one of them has already placed an order!

Well done Wainman.
lion wrote:Howdy. Had some kite related knee issues a few years back which I eventually traced to using a twintip. The main problem with a twintip is that your back leg, which has the most pressure on it, has the foot pointing not in a straight line with your leg as it should be, rather it is 'duck'. This lack of alignment was causing my knees to ache & feel dodgy bigtime after kiting.

I did some research on this forum at the time and there were some great older articles with lots of people having the same issues & even some docs/physios etcs adding comments.

They were all recommending switching to a directional/surfboard as your back leg is then aligned correctly. I did this (ended up with a naish custom surf 4'10 - nice & small) & had an immediate improvement on the knees - I've not had any issues beyond a very light aching when it's heavy chop. I really enjoy the board - it's very nice for jumping so I don't feel I've lost anything in the switch.
This was a lifesaver as I was almost at the point of considering quitting kiting

So for those of you out there with knee issues, have a think about your footstrap angles (the more duck, the worse the alignment issues) & maybe switching to a surfboard - there's plenty to choose from these days...

Cheers and happy kiting
You made a good point and I can agree to a certain extent. The stance is important and yes can affect the knee with the foot torsion.
What I find very trying on my knees are the vibrations too, especially on choppy waters, together with landings etc..

I too have moved for this reason to surfboards, got a 6'2" which is my allround board. I ride mainly strapless as I do get some benefits from it on my knees: the freedom of movement and the general loose feel of the feet and knees not forced to the board by the straps, but the stiffness of the epoxy together with the poor absorption of the thin pad, that alone can really hurt my knee.

I like jumping, so I end up putting straps on the board and going for it when you get the irresistible kickers, but hey that ride with straps and hard landings really cost me days to recover afterwards.

So I've now decided to get myself a super soft and absorbing tt and enjoying airs and chop with it. I wish I did it earlier!

As mentioned above, I went out 3 days on a row, on 12mt the first day for 2 hours, then on a 9mt the second day for 3 hours on over 25kn and lastly on a 15mt for 2 hours, and I don't take breaks when I kite! Now on normal conditions I'd be dead... While I'm here writing at 1:20am without even feeling anything on my knees! Legs are a little tired of course, but my knee is soooo good.

This is to say that it all depends from what you do, how you ride and where...

Thanks again to you all.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Re: which freeride board for soft landings / weak knees?

Postby EvanOR » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:56 am

mr moon wrote:yo dudes! how many replies here... I was out on an epic session today with my 7mt on a surfboard. I love surfing and I usually go strapless but today I've tried strapped and I have to say it was real tough on my knees. With overhead waves and chop of all kind (UK South coast style) it was a real killer for my injured knee, probably even worse than a twin tip.
sojopo wrote:Another vote for the blunt, I have completely trashed knees, and the landings are butter smooth. Plus, it's light so that it doesn't torque you around. Don't wear heel straps, and be sure and bail both feet if one comes out. Nothing like a nice lever arm to twist your leg around, with only one foot in the straps. Good luck!!
Can't wait to try the Blunt.. And yes I always kick my board off if I get stuck with one foot in it.. I also keep my straps quite loose for that purpose :wink:

Yo Rosen, how are ya? It's been a while since we last posted here... You reckon to give the Trax a go? I thought it was a stiff-ish board, maybe not enough for the freestyle junkies, who are probably after steel!!!

The Mako as I said it's great I'm just not sure about the construction as a demo failed under my feet :-?
Mr Moon,

To address your concerns re Mako construction, we did have a very small percentage of Makos delam, often as a result of a ding allowing water ingress.....regardless we were quick to replace them under warranty. That being said, for 2011 we changed the construction of our Makos to utilize a wood vs foam (2010 and prior) core, and since we began shipping them in the fall of 2010, to my knowledge there has not been a single delamination/warranty reported. :thumb:

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:22 am

hey ,, mr .moon
final solution for u ! :thumb:

dooza
Rare Poster

Postby dooza » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Come on Mr. Moon, hand your board over....you know you want to give it to me. A Shinn Twin is what you've always wanted, you're just to scared to ask. No more Mr. Nice Guy, just a straight swap. I'll throw in a pump for good will too. And some sunscreen.

last chance.......

:argue:

mr moon
Frequent Poster

Postby mr moon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:02 am

dooza wrote:Come on Mr. Moon, hand your board over....you know you want to give it to me. A Shinn Twin is what you've always wanted, you're just to scared to ask. No more Mr. Nice Guy, just a straight swap. I'll throw in a pump for good will too. And some sunscreen.

last chance.......

:argue:
ehi dooza I think you are in the wrong forum or topic??? you sound quite confused in your post, I'm not sure what you are talking about... swapping my Blunt for a Shinn? Dude, you've got a good sense of humor :runaway:
Mr Nice Guy, sunscreen and pumps? What's that all about???

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Re: which freeride board for soft landings / weak knees?

Postby unbob » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:21 am

ktflyer381 wrote:I'm using the Cabrinha Caliber 136 this year after a couple of years on the Mako 140. I am truly surprised by the performance and comfort of the Caliber this year. It is as easy to ride and comfortable in the chop as my Mako was ...K
2X this comment re the Caliber. I switched from the Mako 150 wide to a 2011 Caliber 133x41 and I'm much happier!

I'm still at the beginner level so not jumping, etc - just mowing the grass. But the Caliber feels so much more "locked-in" on the water and just plain easier to get up and ride. I did not demo the board but purchased on the recommendation of reviews and Gorge locals. Wished I had started out with the Caliber - I'd be a lot further along with my riding skills.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a Mako bashing. I'm sure it's a great board. Just saying that for me as a beginner it was not the right board. My major complaints are that it was too big (I'm 78kg) and it had a severe tendency to "skip-out" sideways when water-starting. Granted. that was partly my fault, but I've had no such problem with the Caliber.

Again, I can't comment on the Caliber's "pop" and jumping/landing characteristics, but for just cruising across the water it feels great! Smooth and solid. No spray in the face either!

Also, I think the overall build quality of the Caliber is just outstanding! I compared it to several other major brand/models, and concluded the Caliber was simply a higher quality board! The Sync footstraps also are excellent! Once adjusted to your foot, they are super cushy and comfortable.

Sorry if I sound like a Cabrinha salesman - I'm just an average Joe who's very happy with my purchased product! Kudos to Cabrinha!

At this stage of my kiting career, I couldn't be happier! Hopefully, I'll continue to feel the same way as my skills progress.

Pilsner14
Rare Poster

Postby Pilsner14 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:43 am

On the flip side of the last post.......when I was beginning I had a good TT to learn on and struggled and struggled. Too choppy, not being able to get or stay upwind and frustrated as hell. Traded it in on the advice ( from reading posts on this site) for a OR Mako 150 wide. My game completely changed and progressed my riding to another level.........staying upwind, learning to edge, riding the chop competently etc,etc, etc. Great board and can't say enough about it. Highly recommended product and allowed me to accelerate my learning curve for sure.

Just my two cents.

JD

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:05 am

Pilsner14 wrote:On the flip side of the last post.......when I was beginning I had a good TT to learn on and struggled and struggled. Too choppy, not being able to get or stay upwind and frustrated as hell. Traded it in on the advice ( from reading posts on this site) for a OR Mako 150 wide. My game completely changed and progressed my riding to another level.........staying upwind, learning to edge, riding the chop competently etc,etc, etc. Great board and can't say enough about it. Highly recommended product and allowed me to accelerate my learning curve for sure.

Just my two cents.

JD
Glad your happy with the Mako. Different strokes for different folks. Just goes to show what works for one does not necessarily work for another. To each his own ... yada yada.

Return to “Reviews”