-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switchkites - Element?

Postby Telekiter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 am

Hansen Aerosports wrote:Interesting discussion!
The Element is clearly somewhere between the Park and Bandit. Element has smaller tubes - especially in the wingtips so we needed better support there which is supplied by the mini - 'V' wingtip bridle. I don't compare across brands but can say the main design criteria for the Element are ultimate stability, low bar pressure (but not so much you cannot feel the kite,) quick more pivotal turning (than the Method or Nitro,) good upwind and easy relaunch. The intent is a user-friendly, all-round, multi-use kite that does not sacrifice performance. My other Switch designs are highly targeted to specific uses. The Element embodies much of each but in a comfortable and tasty, cuvée-like blend.
Cheers! :thumb:
Sounds good there Bill. Now, can I get a Element 12, yes a 12, pleeeease :P

/Urban.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 pm

comparison of these kites reminds of the ad,sounds just like a golf.Tony

jb8431
Rare Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: freeride, freestyle
Gear: core kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jb8431 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Telekiter,

Here is what Felix said to the 10m or 12m request. :o interesting take on it I think. Seek help for your fixation on size man.

by felix » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 pm
Hi,
No there will not be a 10 or a 12 .
Please try the size's we have and I bet you will be very happy with what they do.
People sometimes get a number fixated in their head and need to see this number.
Just like surfers and the dimensions of their boards.
The 11 and 13 are great all round sizes
Enjoy
felix

snorr
Rare Poster

Postby snorr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:54 pm

I am super excited because my 11m Element is in the mail...should fit nicely within my quiver of 9m Method and 14m Nitro...will demo near the Toronto, Ontario area.

screwfootsc
Medium Poster
Style: strapless

Postby screwfootsc » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:24 am

Element 11M Review...

My new favorite kite. I am so stoked with this kite I first must say. I had a few solid sessions on this kite. Some key features:

1. Soars upwind...
2. Punchy, solid low end (15-18 mph for 200+ lb guy->me)
3. Turns quick in the surf
4. Super light bar pressure, nothing like the method or nitro
5. Super easy relaunch
6. extremely stable even in punchy gusty winds

This kite performed very well for me in the surf. It is very smooth through the turns and cranks a lot of power. One push out on the bar will kill this kite, which makes it very safe. I dropped it in the water once as it was light inside...it quickly relaunched without any issue, and rolled properly on its side as it should. Almost like a bow...that easy.

I would recommend this kite to any surf kiter and even those freestyle riders who love to boost. I love my nitros and the method, but as of right now, this kite might be surpassing them...Nitro for low end grunt in light wind plagued areas...element for the 15+ days if you want a multi-purpose kite. That's it! It just works insane!

As felix says above, don't get fixated on the number on the kite, this 11M is a good central kite. I have a 14M Nitro, 11M Element, 9M element soon, and my 7 M method. Thinking of switching to a Element quiver! GET SOME!

As always, the kites are built as good or better than ANY kite on the market. THe bags are also improved tremendously with super duty zippers...Switch keeps amazing me at their dedication. No BS, just straight solid equipment. Guys and Gals, these kites are top notch.

Cheers

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:20 am

I recon this was with a surfboard and not a TT?

/Urban.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:40 pm

screwfootsc wrote:Element 11M Review...
My new favorite kite. I am so stoked with this kite I first must say. I had a few solid sessions on this kite. Some key features:
1. Soars upwind...
4. Super light bar pressure, nothing like the method or nitro
5. Super easy relaunch
This kite performed very well for me in the surf. It is very smooth through the turns and cranks a lot of power. One push out on the bar will kill this kite, which makes it very safe. I dropped it in the water once as it was light inside...it quickly relaunched without any issue, and rolled properly on its side as it should. Almost like a bow...that easy.
I would recommend this kite to any surf kiter and even those freestyle riders who love to boost. I love my nitros and the method, but as of right now, this kite might be surpassing them...Nitro for low end grunt in light wind plagued areas...element for the 15+ days if you want a multi-purpose kite. That's it! It just works insane!
As felix says above, don't get fixated on the number on the kite, this 11M is a good central kite. I have a 14M Nitro, 11M Element, 9M element soon, and my 7 M method. Thinking of switching to a Element quiver! GET SOME!
As always, the kites are built as good or better than ANY kite on the market. THe bags are also improved tremendously with super duty zippers...Switch keeps amazing me at their dedication. No BS, just straight solid equipment....Cheers
i'm ok with the moderate advertizing, but i hate lies.
it is just two options: you are lying or you consider everyone who read it stupid.

there is no such thing with the nitros as low end grunt! its canopy profile is probably lowest in industry.
in fact, i think switch has to add the disclaimer about the windrange with every kite sold. it certainly has to explain the conditions for which it designed: perfectly flat water and rider's weight under 80kg.
i live in the northern europe. i'm 185cm tall, 107kg. everywhere i go - city streets, mall or beach i see guys sized like me or bigger. under the 80kg are mostly women and teenagers.
if switch makes kites for the liteweight riders only it has to warn about it publicly on its website!

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:32 am

screwfootsc wrote:Element 11M Review...

My new favorite kite. I am so stoked with this kite.

Some key features:
1. Soars upwind...
4. Super light bar pressure, nothing like the Method or Nitro
5. Super easy relaunch

This kite performed very well for me in the surf. It is very smooth through the turns and cranks a lot of power.
One push out on the bar will kill this kite, which makes it very safe.
I dropped it in the water once as it was light inside...it quickly relaunched without any issue, and rolled properly on its side as it should. Almost like a bow...that easy.

I would recommend this kite to any surf kiter and even those freestyle riders.
I love my Nitros and the Method, but this kite might be surpassing them
If you want a multi-purpose kite. That's it! It just works insane!
11M is a good central kite.
I have a 14M Nitro, 11M Element, 9M Element soon, and my 7M Method.
Thinking of switching to a Element quiver!

As always, the kites are built as good or better than ANY kite on the market.
Switch keeps amazing me at their dedication. No BS, just straight solid equipment.
Guys and Gals, these kites are top notch.
Grant,
Interesting post.... confusing but interesting.
Based on your (and several others) past posts on the Switch Kites lineup, I thought some of the team (the more expert athletes) riders were going to really HATE the Element kite when it came out.
Your description of the Element's behavior sounds like everything that the Nitro and Method kites are not.
The Element sounds much more "mainstream" and similar to other popular kites, not "purpose specific" as Bill Hansen might say it.
You (and other team riders) have vigorously recommended the Method (even for beginners) specifically for some of the "unusual" attributes that it has, and several of those are polar opposites of what you found out you like about the Element kite.

So, ..now it's good to have a kite that can sheet out in a gust and the kite behaves well?
Don't have to always fly a small kite, fully powered and fully sheeted in to keep it from backwinding..... to feel that Method Magic?
Now you/we want a kite that can turn power on and off easily and safely?
Faster and easy turning is better now?
Extremely stable in punchy winds is a good thing?...and not the sure sign of a weak, boring kite?
Low bar pressure is a good thing? ..and does not mean you can't tell where the kite is?

Element attributes/behavior sounds like it might provide a more positive experience for more kiters.
But not exactly the things that team riders have been selling as the Magic in the Method and Nitro.
Why the reversal in preferences...and change of heart for you?
Last edited by L0KI on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:18 am

I am a team rider for switch and yes I like the element for what it is .

I still love my method for the waves and the nitro for the jumps and freestyle.. The Element is just a great all around kite for the people that are looking for a kite that does everything. I can take two Elements on Vacation and be set for any condition that I might find. From Flat water to snow to waves... If I know I am going to a wave place I will still take my methods and small combats to play on.

On the other note the element will be great for my wife just because it is way more user friendly.

I have a 14 nitro, 11 element, 9 method , 7 combat and a couple dozen different boards at my finger tips. I like each and every kite for different reasons. Been kiting for 12 years now and the kites just work for me...

Terrie
Ontario Team rider

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:43 am

Hi Eree:
I've enjoyed reading your posts. Previously, I've posted all the Switch specs here and more recently, the chordwise profile. Following is a 3D CAD design drawing of the Nitro along with a pic of a proto being tested by one of our development riders who is a 193cm and 115kg Honolulu policeman. I do not see the lowest canopy profile in the industry, perfectly flat water or a sub 80kg tester. Do you?
Nitro 3D CAD.jpg
Nitro 3D CAD.jpg (98.95 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
N12-ProtoSean1a.jpg
Hi OnB:
Yes, Switch released very 'purpose specific' kites first. Naturally, being specialized they created some very positive reviews and some negative ones. Stability and bar pressure were a comment on the Method. Re-launch and de-power was a comment on the Nitro. A true 'C' like the Combat is pretty hardcore. We listened to those comments and targeted the Element to address non-specific users. That does not logically exclude riders who like the specialized models from liking the Element - especially if it retains the more specialized positive traits. The Element has one goal which is to satisfy a broader range of users in a broader range of conditions. I'm glad the team riders like them because that means we accomplished our goal.
Cheers! :thumb:

Return to “Reviews”