Flyboard Radical M
Surfboard fish 5 10
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airush Monaro Slalom

Postby Chusss » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi everyone :)
I'm thinking on buying a new board and I thought about the Airush Monaro Slalom 58.
For the past couple of days I've been searching the internet for information on this board but I can't find anything but marketing material.
Do any of you own one? If so, can you review it? who did you buy it from? How much did it cost? was that with fins and straps? would you recommend any other board as an alternative to this one?

I am 1.72 tall and I weight 65 kgs. I think of myself as an experienced kiter and I am used to the racy feel of boards like this because I come from the Windsurfing / Slalom world. I would have to get used to race boards though...

I want to upgrade from an Airush Sector V2 52 which I find to be really fun. I love its speed and its carving features, but I would like more speed and more confort without sacrificing any of its carving potential.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Chus

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Re: Airush Monaro Slalom

Postby shawn13 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:39 pm

You can find some feedback here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2383948

Chusss
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Valencia - Spain
Favorite Beaches: Somo - Spain
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12&21
Flyboard Radical M
Surfboard fish 5 10

Postby Chusss » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Thank you shawn13
Anyone else?
It would be great to know a little bit more...
Apparently, Airush distributor for Spain hasn't even sold one yet and they are not even capable of providing me with its price :o

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:47 pm

Ive only seen them listed here:

http://store.tridentsports.com/us/pc/Mo ... -p8568.htm

My local shop told my if I wanted one it would have to be special order, so I guess they are rare. I grabbed a sector 60 they had instock instead.

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:21 am

Hi, I had the chance to demo one last week here in NZ. I have the Sector 54 v3 which I love but was looking for something even faster - I also have the Sector 52 v1.5 (my teenage son also kites ). I am an ex-windsurfer, been kiting for 8 years or so , still love that blasting around feeling on occasion , just to mix it up a bit from all the jumping and wave shenanigans. Am 85 kg.

Bottom line after my demo session? The Monaro feels a lot wider than the extra 4cm, mainly due to the front straps being closer to the rail. It is more difficult to control when powered - I started on a 13M Edge but had to change down to a 10m ( Park) as it was such a mission. I am confident that I could have kept the 13m if I had been on my Sector as it can take a good amount of power without the fins dominating you.

When you have a very outboard stance ( footstraps near edge of board) it is harder to control when the water is choppy - I had to button off a lot more than I would have on the Sector. Riding the board flatter due to upright fins is also way harder on the legs - the Monaro Slalom feels much closer to a race board than to a blasting board like the Sector. I have had a lot of experience on the Sector and done some really long ocean runs with it, and have run it with a 14m through to a 7m, and always felt comfortable. If you can control the board you can push it really hard with confidence. I am never really aware of the fins on the Sector whereas you are very aware of them and the lift they produce on the Monaro - takes more leg strength for sure.

So I am not sure that the Monaro Slalom would actually be faster for me as it is less forgiving when powered up and in chop. It really is a raceboard , for guys who have the skills and strength to get the best from it ( and kudos to them to be honest, they have skills beyond us mere mortals). I thought my directional skills were pretty good but it took me quite a while to dial the Monaro in. Regarding carving it does not carve anywhere near as well as the Sector, it needs a wider radius due to the fins being upright and having a wider tail - if you don't commit to the gybe and bend your knees to drive it round it ends up straightening up halfway round and going downwind. I prefer the snappy carving of my narrower board to be honest.

With all that being said , and as you have a Sector v2 quad fin, I found there was quite a big difference in controllability between the quad fin Sector 52 and the tri fin Sector 54 when i first got the latter - the 54 is really well balanced when sailing broad , you can really crank it hard whereas the 52 always felt a little over-finned. If you can organise a demo of a 54 I would recommend doing so , it is a really sweet and perfectly balanced board - don't know if they have changed it much between v3 to v5 , to my mind there's not much that needed changing. If they could scale the 54 down to a 48 or 50 now that would be a killer open water blasting board, which I think is what I was really looking for when I tried the Monaro Slalom - a real rocketship. Unfortunately the Monaro Slalom was not really my cup of tea - although it was fantastic to have the opportunity to try it. I really wanted to love it - sometimes gear does not feel like you expect it to though and I realised that I am not really a fan of the finned -up raceboard feel.

Hope this helps.

Chusss
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Valencia - Spain
Favorite Beaches: Somo - Spain
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12&21
Flyboard Radical M
Surfboard fish 5 10

Postby Chusss » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:37 am

Thank you very much Shawn13 and Mikesids.
It really is weird how Airush is managing distribution of this board.
I asked my nearest Airush distributor and he said he couldn't get me price for it right away and that he would get back to me when he gets it.
After almost one month, he tells me that the board would cost me 950€ but he doesn't really know how long will it take to get me the board delivered to Valencia (Spain).
I also asked him for the weight of the whole board (board + fins) and he is also going to have to ask...
Is it possible that Airush is not pushing this board through their distribution channel because they still have to fine tune its design?
They claim Pros to be winning races with this boards, but who knows if the boards the pros are riding to win races are custom and not the actual production board...
I have tried to get in contact with Airush through their website and no-one have answered me so far...
Wouldn't it be great that an Airush representative join the thread?
:bye:

LTD WaterSports
Medium Poster
Local Beach: DESTIN, Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: Anguilla, OBX, Destin
Style: Freestyle
Gear: BEST, AirRush, F-ONE, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: LTD WaterSports

Postby LTD WaterSports » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:17 am

We Stock them!

https://ltdwatersports.com/shop/all-sho ... ro-slalom/

And we stock many other AirRush boards.

These Full Carbon boards are hard to stock for many dealers because its such a small market. We have the Sector thats a far better seller because of its wider ability to fit more riders and that has been on the shelf for 6 months. 2015 AirRush boards are awesome but not a-lot of people know just how good they truly are.

Have any questions Call the shop.

Return to “Reviews”