Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Cosmo6506
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 200
Local Beach: None, I live in Denver, CO
Favorite Beaches: Coconut Bay, St. Lucia
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2012 Cabrinha Switchblade 8,12. 2015 Cabrinha Switchblade 10. 2015 Cabrinha Contra 17. Shinn Dundee 133, Epic Oxygen, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ride Engine Harness

Postby Cosmo6506 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:43 am

Hi All,
Can anyone give me a review on the new Ride Engine harness? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vu8xwSDMWY

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ride Engine Harness

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:47 am

I have an original custom Engine harness, so I cant comment on the new harness. The factory finish will be an improvement, It will be interesting to see if a rigid harness is accepted by the market. Based on my experience, it is going to be a game changer. Slingshot made a good decision to join up with Engine.

It seems to me that hooking the CL directly in the dynema line is going to accelerate wear on the CL PU sheathing.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:02 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:I have an original custom Engine harness, so I cant comment on the new harness. The factory finish will be an improvement, It will be interesting to see if a rigid harness is accepted by the market. Based on my experience, it is going to be a game changer. Slingshot made a good decision to join up with Engine.

It seems to me that hooking the CL directly in the dynema line is going to accelerate wear on the CL PU sheathing.
I wondered the same thing.
I suppose you can buy one of the roller hooks that other companies offer and mount it on there. It is simple, I'll give it that.

How does the sizing work out? If you are large on another harness would you stay large for Engine or drop a size?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:35 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
SalmonSlayer wrote:I have an original custom Engine harness, so I cant comment on the new harness. The factory finish will be an improvement, It will be interesting to see if a rigid harness is accepted by the market. Based on my experience, it is going to be a game changer. Slingshot made a good decision to join up with Engine.

I wondered the same thing.
I suppose you can buy one of the roller hooks that other companies offer and mount it on there. It is simple, I'll give it that.

How does the sizing work out? If you are large on another harness would you stay large for Engine or drop a size?
sizing chart

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed

Postby yzbob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:02 pm

looks like it being rigid is gonna make it difficult to pack in luggage. keen to give it a try though.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Laughingman wrote:...sizing chart
Sweet. There was not one on the website last time I looked, but now there is!

Now the question will be...did people who've ridden the harness find the chart was accurate for them? If you want to ride the harness with a wetsuit/drysuit should you size up or is that all taken into account already by adjustment. ?

Normally none of this is an issue as the entire harness is flexible, but I'm not sure how the rigid back affects things. I see that you can get the smaller spreader bar to make a half size. That may be the call.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:36 pm

yzbob wrote:looks like it being rigid is gonna make it difficult to pack in luggage. keen to give it a try though.
Yah its always a challenge to find just the right spot for it but somehow I'd rather have that challenge then have a collapsing harness.
You will save some weight though.....

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Laughingman wrote:...sizing chart
Sweet. There was not one on the website last time I looked, but now there is!

Now the question will be...did people who've ridden the harness find the chart was accurate for them? If you want to ride the harness with a wetsuit/drysuit should you size up or is that all taken into account already by adjustment. ?

Normally none of this is an issue as the entire harness is flexible, but I'm not sure how the rigid back affects things. I see that you can get the smaller spreader bar to make a half size. That may be the call.
Captain... just email Coleman with your questions... he has always answered me within 24 hours.

but I think the wetsuit/drysuit will be considered in adjustment. I can wear mine with a 5/4 or bareback equally as comfortable.

Rbgar
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: nude-
Style: Smooth
Gear: Everything
Brand Affiliation: Self sponsored team rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rbgar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:15 pm

I'm deff getting one as soon as I can try a XL on, suggest a add on clip so std bars could be used as some have bars they have customized?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:18 pm

Rbgar wrote:I'm deff getting one as soon as I can try a XL on, suggest a add on clip so std bars could be used as some have bars they have customized?
Yeah, it'd be nice if we could use this harness with our own bars. I get why they did it (the quick disconnect), though. Sometimes you have to change the paradigm to improve the performance...

Return to “Reviews”