Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Re: The Ultimate Wetsuit !?

Postby Barryg101 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:28 am

Update on my Billabong 4/3 after a summer of kite instructing the wetsuit went downhill rapidly the seams loosened and the pattern on the arm started to fall off the the fabric became really loose I've also noticed that all over the suit there is little white specks which is where the elastics have snapped so next wetsuit I choose will be less "soft" . After endless e mails they replaced my wetsuit and after just 3 months more of use it is starting to look pretty bad.

I'll go for flash bomb next

pistolpete
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Favorite Beaches: perth
ceara
cape town
Gear: duotone dice
duotone hadlow
cabrinha xcaliber
north pro csc
Been thanked: 0

Postby pistolpete » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:19 pm

My Ripcurl 4 3 held ten years. I'll get the new flashmob for sure!

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: North Reach 13, 11
North Orbit 10, 8, 6
North Focus 136+boots
North Atmos 133
Duotone Team 134
Duotone Whip 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kerplow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:35 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 pm
needessentials.com
+1

parakitesurf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Cabo verde
Style: All ride
Gear: F-one
Has thanked: 0

Postby parakitesurf » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:02 pm

I have tried a few brands and the best ones for my rip curl and mystic

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 pm

I generally buy cheaper/basic wetsuits for my 3/2 and spend more on my warmer suits. The best "warm" suit I have found is the ONeill Mutuant Legend, which is the right combination of durable, stretchy and warm. Its a 3.5/4.5 suit and the zip off hood makes it incredibly versatile. I find I am comfortable from high 40s to high 50s F water temp. Ive used the suit a lot, and I expect that it will probably last for at least three or four seasons of use (which is comparatively good for the amount I use it).

troutuna
Rare Poster
Local Beach: June Lake
Favorite Beaches: Cardiff
Style: Flat water wake
Gear: Naish cult

Postby troutuna » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:29 am

Check out wetsuitwearhouse.com They carry all the brands mentioned above. I've had good luck with Hyperflex Wetsuits. Well built with good materials at a fair price.

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:41 pm

Kerplow wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:35 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 pm
needessentials.com
+1
+1

I was on the lookout for a new winter suit recently.....I usually buy cheap suits but I decided I didn't want to risk getting colds this year and having to isolate/take Coovid tests unnecessarily so I went on the hunt for a really good suit.... I found a lot of websites/brands were sold out of common sizes..... Sadly which I am....

I picked up a suit from needessentials.com. Delivered the next day or two working days... And the quality is awesome. Highly recommend.

jacksonliam341
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 50
Local Beach: Glass Beach
Favorite Beaches: Glass Beach
Gear: a kite, bar and lines, a harness and a board
Has thanked: 0

Postby jacksonliam341 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:41 pm

I had a Ripcurl E-Bomb from 2013 or 14, and that thing looked like it was uses 20 years, after just 6 months. Seams toring apart, lining peeling off, knees splitting open, discoloration.

Fit wasn't that great either tbh, forearms and lower legs waaay to small.

Got a Ion Onyx after that, and although the suit itself was fine, it had problems with the knees splitting open right next to the protectionpatches (ironic), and seams tearing apart on the inside mostly on the back.

Got a warranty replacement, same problems again withing 6 months. Got a warranty again, but a backzip (Strike I think) and again, same problems.

Now I have an Ion Onyx Amp, got a pretty good deal and the fitment for me is excellent, and it's way better than the older regular Onyx.

The seams are protected on the inside so no problems there, and they have finally changed the kneepads, so no more tearing there.

But I have it for 9 month now, so can't comment too much yet.

Not sure if I'll stick with the brand.

Plenty other good stuff available. Billabong, ONeil, XCell, C-Skins. Patagonia, Matuse etc looks good too, but very expensive and I'm not sure how they hold up when you get dragged in the sand sometimes.

I keep away from Mystic, Prolimit, Manera etc, although Ion is in the same league.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:16 am

jacksonliam341 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:41 pm
I had a Ripcurl E-Bomb from 2013 or 14, and that thing looked like it was uses 20 years, after just 6 months. Seams toring apart, lining peeling off, knees splitting open, discoloration.

Got a Ion Onyx after that, and although the suit itself was fine, it had problems with the knees splitting open right next to the protectionpatches (ironic), and seams tearing apart on the inside mostly on the back.

Got a warranty replacement, same problems again withing 6 months. Got a warranty again, but a backzip (Strike I think) and again, same problems.

Now I have an Ion Onyx Amp, got a pretty good deal and the fitment for me is excellent, and it's way better than the older regular Onyx.

The seams are protected on the inside so no problems there, and they have finally changed the kneepads, so no more tearing there.

Plenty other good stuff available. Billabong, ONeil, XCell, C-Skins. Patagonia, Matuse etc looks good too, but very expensive and I'm not sure how they hold up when you get dragged in the sand sometimes.

I keep away from Mystic, Prolimit, Manera etc, although Ion is in the same league.
Yeah, same here. Ripcurl E-Bomb around 2013. Was my first 'expensive' wetsuit. Had to throw it away after a year, same problems. Major discoloration and lining getting loose too.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:28 pm

jacksonliam341 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:41 pm

Why do you keep away from mystic? I've had a patagonia and an xcel for 5+ years, and they're both getting to the end of their life. Starting to look for something new and was eyeballing the Mystic Voltt for colder weather.

Return to “Reviews”