Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Ultimate Wetsuit !?

Postby alunj » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:10 am

I also never got on with Mystic , but is probably my shape
None fit me and that’s the most important thing
Since your in Spain check out Janga from Portugal
Great suits nice fit for me and decent neoprene ( in facts I’m convinced it’s the same as my pryde suits )
Janga also have some pretty rad designs
I have a 2mm and a 3mm Painkiller . So far they are holding up
Well but with the super flex you can’t rally expect more than a few years before they start to loose shape and warmth

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:20 am

Seventh Wave.
https://www.seventhwave.co.nz/shop/summ ... pring.html

Got a custom fit Viper two years ago. Super comfy, I wear it for most of the year, even though it's only 2mm. The Yamamoto Limestone neoprene is weird but works well.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:47 pm

Ultimate?

How about simply available!

Not a lot of stock around for people to be choosy. Would have splurged on a Patagonia R5 if there were any. The R4 has been the best suit I’ve ever had. Tough built cuffs are the bomb! Ankles and wrist are knee pad material. Only started leaking in its 8th year and it’s far from spent but I want a watertight suit for spring so went with need essentials and saved the money! Have a bunch of their stuff now and it’s all been good. Three year old 4/3 as a main suit is holding up well. Their gloves are good too. Just got the 6/4/3 and it looks the business. Won’t find out till spring but I feel all warm and cozy just thinking about it.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:45 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:47 pm
Ultimate?

How about simply available!

Not a lot of stock around for people to be choosy. Would have splurged on a Patagonia R5 if there were any. The R4 has been the best suit I’ve ever had. Tough built cuffs are the bomb! Ankles and wrist are knee pad material. Only started leaking in its 8th year and it’s far from spent but I want a watertight suit for spring so went with need essentials and saved the money! Have a bunch of their stuff now and it’s all been good. Three year old 4/3 as a main suit is holding up well. Their gloves are good too. Just got the 6/4/3 and it looks the business. Won’t find out till spring but I feel all warm and cozy just thinking about it.
Available seems to be the question. There must have been a big shipment of Mystic suits that came in, as there seem to be quite a lot in NA at the minute. Are the needsessential suits actually available? I'm happy so far with the Ride Engine Apoc 5/4 I bought a few weeks ago. Fits me really perfectly, but it was a 2020 & the last one available in Canada. Unlike the Mystics (& a lot of other suits) it has an external liquid strip on the seams. It's a very thin but substantial strip. I don't know if this is something that will hold up well over the long term.

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!
Has thanked: 0

Postby Ianw » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:35 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Available seems to be the question. There must have been a big shipment of Mystic suits that came in, as there seem to be quite a lot in NA at the minute. Are the needsessential suits actually available? I'm happy so far with the Ride Engine Apoc 5/4 I bought a few weeks ago. Fits me really perfectly, but it was a 2020 & the last one available in Canada. Unlike the Mystics (& a lot of other suits) it has an external liquid strip on the seams. It's a very thin but substantial strip. I don't know if this is something that will hold up well over the long term.
I've had my RE Apoc 5/4 hooded (2020) version now for 1yr 9months. I wash it with fresh water from a hose each time. It looks brand new, the external liquid strips on the seams are all intact there is just a small section of tape on an internal seam which has peeled back and needs a bit of glue. The front zip is great (chunky plastic) unlike the poor metal zip I had on my previous Rip Curl suit. It's the warmest suit I've ever owed.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Ianw wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:35 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:45 pm

I've had my RE Apoc 5/4 hooded (2020) version now for 1yr 9months. I wash it with fresh water from a hose each time. It looks brand new, the external liquid strips on the seams are all intact there is just a small section of tape on an internal seam which has peeled back and needs a bit of glue. The front zip is great (chunky plastic) unlike the poor metal zip I had on my previous Rip Curl suit. It's the warmest suit I've ever owed.
Good to hear. No need to wash here as I'm using it in fresh (Great Lakes) water. Those external seams are unlike anything I've seen before - thin but chunky. Curious to see how they will hold up over time. My last 5/4 was a BZ Neil Pryde Mission. Not the highest quality suit. The seams started to go in a number of places ... but this was after 4 or 5 years. I tried applying Aquaseal on the inside & outside ... didn't really work at all. Cold water pouring into your crotch area is not enjoyable!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:45 pm

The external liquid seam is what eventually cracked at armpits/chest and crotch of my Patagonia. Eventually you get some leaks in precisely the wrong spots. The liquid seam on the ext of the need essentials suit is wider. Delivery about 10 days.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:47 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:45 pm
The external liquid seam is what eventually cracked at armpits/chest and crotch of my Patagonia. Eventually you get some leaks in precisely the wrong spots. The liquid seam on the ext of the need essentials suit is wider. Delivery about 10 days.
My Neil Pryde suit had very wide liquid seams, but they eventually went. The seams on the Apoc suit seem to be a different material. The Mystic suits don't have liquid seams on the outside at all, but the inside tape seems to be thicker. Hard to say - they all work at first, only time will tell how well they hold up in the long term.

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:19 am

Srface (srface.com) wetsuits are really popular in the Netherlands. Online only business model, makes them nicely affordable. The fit according to the size table is bang-on.

The seams hold up way better then any other suit I've had (Quicky, Rip Curl, O'neill)

Really happy with it so far, and I'll probably extend my collection with other thicknesses.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:24 pm

Nelis wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:19 am
Srface (srface.com) wetsuits are really popular in the Netherlands. Online only business model, makes them nicely affordable. The fit according to the size table is bang-on.

The seams hold up way better then any other suit I've had (Quicky, Rip Curl, O'neill)

Really happy with it so far, and I'll probably extend my collection with other thicknesses.
+1 from me.
After 8 years my O’Neill Psycho was finished..
Got 2 Mystic suits (for my son and I) both replaced under warranty due to leaking.. got 2 Psycho Techs.. was warned by a friend but they were the only available at that time.. nice fit but unfortunately leaking like hell just in the year.. great service from the shop & O Neill but no replacements available and other available suits (brands) didn't have taped and liquid seals and I got my money back..
Tried before the Mystic the Srface suits (5/4).. fine but too tight at the knees, so returned them.
After nice chats with Srface employees, the suits were modified at the knees a bit, I ordered 2 5/4’s
Indeed better fit at the knees. Nice suits, warm and souple, dries quickly. Can’t say anything about durability yet but so far I can highly recommend them!

Return to “Reviews”