Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Ultimate Wetsuit !?

Postby Flyboy » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Janus wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:24 pm
Nelis wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:19 am
Srface (srface.com) wetsuits are really popular in the Netherlands. Online only business model, makes them nicely affordable. The fit according to the size table is bang-on.

The seams hold up way better then any other suit I've had (Quicky, Rip Curl, O'neill)

Really happy with it so far, and I'll probably extend my collection with other thicknesses.
+1 from me.
After 8 years my O’Neill Psycho was finished..
Got 2 Mystic suits (for my son and I) both replaced under warranty due to leaking.. got 2 Psycho Techs.. was warned by a friend but they were the only available at that time.. nice fit but unfortunately leaking like hell just in the year.. great service from the shop & O Neill but no replacements available and other available suits (brands) didn't have taped and liquid seals and I got my money back..
Tried before the Mystic the Srface suits (5/4).. fine but too tight at the knees, so returned them.
After nice chats with Srface employees, the suits were modified at the knees a bit, I ordered 2 5/4’s
Indeed better fit at the knees. Nice suits, warm and souple, dries quickly. Can’t say anything about durability yet but so far I can highly recommend them!
Interesting. Wonder if they ship to NA? Also, I wonder where all these different wetsuit brands are made: are there just one or two factories that turn these out, with slightly different specs for the different brands?

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:55 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Also, I wonder where all these different wetsuit brands are made: are there just one or two factories that turn these out, with slightly different specs for the different brands?
Most big brands and some smaller like Srface are made by Sheico in Thailand and Cambodia. ION too.
Ripcurl have their own factory in Thailand.
Mystic top line are made by another factory in Thailand together with some other premium surfing and triathlon wetsuits.
Everything else is made by few factories in China.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
Flyboy (Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:59 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:27 pm

Air is 9 degrees, water 6.5, wind 25 knots and SUNNY.

Tried out a new needessentialsusa.com hooded/lined 6/4/3 and it is an excellent suit. Will take some time to assess how it holds up, but great fit and warmth out of the bag and very nice hood construction. Stoked to get a sunny December session with spring still so far off!

Suit was made in Thailand, same factory as Rip Curl.

Can't beat $275 US with free shipping (plus taxes/duty). Less than half the price of a comparable level brand name suit.

Now just have to dry it and pack it back up before Christmas!

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:45 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:27 pm

Tried out a new needessentialsusa.com hooded/lined 6/4/3 and it is an excellent suit. Will take some time to assess how it holds up, but great fit and warmth out of the bag and very nice hood construction. Stoked to get a sunny December session with spring still so far off!

Can't beat $275 US with free shipping (plus taxes/duty). Less than half the price of a comparable level brand name suit.

I have the same thickness Neadessential wetty and can't beat the value for money proposition - so far no issues and super warm. Arms still 3/4mm so flexible

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:49 pm

jumptheshark wrote:

$275 is a great price. You got free shipping from the US to Canada? That seems pretty unusual as mostly US based companies will provide free shipping within the US but not to Canada ... & shipping across the border is, unfortunately, expensive. Were you actually charged duty?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:13 pm

Free shipping and $55 CDN at pick up from post office.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:54 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:13 pm
Free shipping and $55 CDN at pick up from post office.
Good deal. :thumb:

thekitemonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA)
Favorite Beaches: Waddel Creek
Style: Foil, waves
Gear: Surfboards and 2016 Moses 550/325

Postby thekitemonster » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:47 pm

I just got two Needs Essentials and they don't quite fit as well as my disintegrating (3 seasons) Patagonia did. Patagonia has a great warranty. O'Neil the worst, "that's over-use go away". But they hold up pretty good.
RipCurl will ALWAYS honor their warranty. They seem to be the warmest but I did get one that shrank in thickness by half, rendering it useless. That was years ago though, I'm sure they axed that bad material by now.

Seems to me that a warm yet flexible wetsuit is bound to be more fragile by design, so I expect them to only last 2 full seasons before they get leaky. These Needs suits look and feel a bit tougher. We shall see. One thing is for sure: the visor on the hood does not flap in high winds, (as others did). The design of the hood is twice as good as any other suit I've worn.

I twice purchased cheapie kite-specific brands (on sale) and they unraveled like an old wool sweater. So bad. Like in a cartoon, once the entire crotch seem blew out, all gone at once: man that got cold in a hurry. Not going to mention names. I have to buy my stuff so when I get bad gear it really bugs me. Super cheapo suits are always the worst value. I feel like the best value ever was a RipCurl I got on sale end of season in the Santa Cruz shop. Half off, that thing was toasty. Lasted forever too.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:12 pm

For anybody considering the Need suits, I feel like they run a bit smaller than other brands - but their sizing chart is pretty accurate. I swear by ONeill suits and the MT fits like a glove, but I needed an LT in the Need suit. The Need doesn't feel as flexible as the ONeill, but its almost half the price and feels like it will hold up.

I pay a premium for my warm suits that get less use and need to keep me warm. I would buy Need or a more basic suit for my 3/2 which is going to get beat up and is thinner, so premium stretch fabrics aren't as essential (the thinner basic neoprene is already pretty stretchy and will hold up better than the premium materials).

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:17 am

jumptheshark wrote:

How is the needessential holding up? I'm considering buying the same suit

Return to “Reviews”