My first sessions with the Flysurfer Soul 12, a short video

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My first sessions with the Flysurfer Soul 12, a short video

Postby downunder » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Oh, wow, so there are TWO openings for deflation! Great !

Thanks for that! now we know there a twice the chances to forget to close it! Plus TWO on the tips which makes it 4! Right.

Great kite, I have no doubt. Time will tell how it will really perform.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:44 pm

You are not “critically” thinking. Just pulling at anything to be able to bitch. I wonder where your grudge is. You are one of the few to have negative things to say about a kite in which you have absolutely no experience on. So basically your opinion is worthless. I dislike people like you, a self promoted “expert”. I cannot sit still when you spray your shit all over and claim it as informational or fact. So I bring to light your ignorance.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:55 pm

It performs really well Downunder.
I have a 10m and my 13 year old son flies with it, deep water and low wind (on and off and max 12 kts), small inland lake.. i was waiting for strange behaviour of the foil in hands of a young and new to "big" foil kites kiter... yes it dropped and did strange things .. but relaunched very easy.
And I discoverd it even flies with two open deflation openings.. didn't go out with it but it flies.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:22 pm

Janus wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:55 pm
I have a 10m and my 13 year old son flies with it, deep water and low wind (on and off and max 12 kts), small inland lake.. i was waiting for strange behaviour of the foil in hands of a young and new to "big" foil kites kiter... yes it dropped and did strange things .. but relaunched very easy.
And I discoverd it even flies with two open deflation openings.. didn't go out with it but it flies.
Yea it does act differently than I'm use to with the Sonics, I think the D profile and large space between the wing tips and last air inlets has something to do with it but I've been amazed how well it corrects itself and relaunches. I've made it a habit to reseal the buttholes after I roll up the kite to help prevent forgetting to do so on setup. I'm in such a mindset to get out on the water asap usually that I will admit I've forgotten once or twice in my past. Nothing more embarassing and annoying than having to land and correct it.

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bossstyle » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:16 pm

Looks an awesome kite to me. I want a 15m. Going to splash out I think. Need to find a bit of a deal.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:04 pm

downunder wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:51 am
But think of this, if that well sealed what will happen when crashed on a LE? Something must give away tho. Sure, the vent will open, but again how if that well sealed ? :naughty:

That's funny statement, you can't possibly know how many kites one has. Plus, if you never ever opened a blowout valve it means quite the opposite - not crashed hard enough. The blowout valve IS there to spill the overpressure, that's well known fact.
Speed2/Pscyho4 was the last kite with a zipper Deflate Valve, all other FS foils have used "butt flaps" Deflate Valves in the middle of the TE.

Drainage valves at the wing tips have been a standard feature since Speed1 IIRC.

Neither of the above are designed to relieve over-pressure in a crash.

Psycho4 was the last FS with an actual Blowout Valve, that actually was designed to combat over-pressure. You can even find YouTube of high-speed camera footage during testing.

Forgetting to close the buttflaps is not really a problem -- they're bloody obvious, but if you get distracted while setting up you'll only ever do it once. Like forgetting to attach your lines on your tube.

If you DO tomahawk your aging, abused foil into the water, you'll probably rip an internal rib or tear a seam, like I have. You can fix broken ribs with TearAid, by going in through the intakes and easing the material out the whole again.

Or y'know -- stop tomahawking your kite.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:56 pm

The “dropping and did strange things” was due to the open deflation openings.

I was not sure about the Soul when it was first introduced, but after purchasing the kite in several sizes and flying it all summer, I can say it is my favorite kite. Sold my Sonic 2’s, sold my Speeds, sold my Core XR5’s. Replaced them with FS Soul. I am so happy with this kite from snow to inland lakes to ocean riding. It has the range, hang-time, and lift of the Speed, but it is much more stable.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi. I'm currently testing the Soul biggest sizes (15 and 18) but today I show you again the Soul 12 in action during my first Summer kite session. The wind was blowing from 10 to 14 Knots and I was well powered (my weight is 76 Kilos) along of the session.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJq18rOKcY

Cheers

CArlo

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bossstyle » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Will a 55cm Bar be ok for the 12m soul or is it too big?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:15 pm

In my opinion 55cm is perfect, and far better than the 50cm recommended by Flysurfer.

Return to “Reviews”