Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My first sessions with the Flysurfer Soul 12, a short video

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Soul doesn’t bow tie really. I’ve gotten mine in some major messes riding right at the lower limits that makes the kite ball up when the wind drops and behind wind shadows. It takes a little bit longer than I’m use to but it’s gotten out of tangles I have thought we’re impossible and know the sonic couldn’t do. It’s not so easy when you get a wing tip tangled like on the thin profile of the sonic but still really manageable. I think it relaunches so much better because it’s so airtight and there’s more pressure to hold its shape.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 am

"I think it relaunches so much better because it’s so airtight and there’s more pressure to hold its shape". I totally agree with you.

Cheers

Carlo

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Ok, I get it. It is a brand new kite and 'sealed'.

But think of this, if that well sealed what will happen when crashed on a LE? Something must give away tho. Sure, the vent will open, but again how if that well sealed ? :naughty:

Time will tell I guess. I do have bad experience with Boost1, so will rather wait for Soul3....

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:59 pm

downunder wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:49 pm

But think of this, if that well sealed what will happen when crashed on a LE? Something must give away tho. Sure, the vent will open, but again how if that well sealed ? :naughty:

Time will tell I guess. I do have bad experience with Boost1, so will rather wait for Soul3....
I’ve crashed mine very hard already and I am not gentle with my kites. The buttholes(vents) do not open. I don’t think I’ve ever had one open on me in the 6 years I’ve flown Flysurfer. You can always wait for the next model in life but you’ll do more waiting than riding. Me, I’m very happy I’m out on the water.

=Jason-

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:03 pm

downunder wrote:
The fabric was tested on the SonicRACE.
I can't see any comparetion to the boost1!
What was wrong with this?
Owened a 9m and was happy with it!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:51 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:59 pm
downunder wrote:

I’ve crashed mine very hard already and I am not gentle with my kites. The buttholes(vents) do not open. I don’t think I’ve ever had one open on me in the 6 years I’ve flown Flysurfer. You can always wait for the next model in life but you’ll do more waiting than riding. Me, I’m very happy I’m out on the water.

=Jason-

That's funny statement, you can't possibly know how many kites one has. Plus, if you never ever opened a blowout valve it means quite the opposite - not crashed hard enough. The blowout valve IS there to spill the overpressure, that's well known fact.

For Nemo, I do not see the relevance with a fabric either :) Fabric is a fabric, the pressure points where it gave away is something different. My sewing tradie fixed more Boost1 LE than any of you would like to admit.

And guys, remember that Razor board flop? C'mon, it was a flop no matter how praised it was in the beginning. Time will tell for Sol, it's a v1 after all.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:46 am

downunder wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:51 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:59 pm
downunder wrote:

=Jason-

That's funny statement, you can't possibly know how many kites one has. Plus, if you never ever opened a blowout valve it means quite the opposite - not crashed hard enough. The blowout valve IS there to spill the overpressure, that's well known fact.

For Nemo, I do not see the relevance with a fabric either :) Fabric is a fabric, the pressure points where it gave away is something different. My sewing tradie fixed more Boost1 LE than any of you would like to admit.

And guys, remember that Razor board flop? C'mon, it was a flop no matter how praised it was in the beginning. Time will tell for Sol, it's a v1 after all.
The “blowouts” as you call them are there to release the air when you pack up the kite. Also having problems with an first gen inflatable made by a foil kite company is a little different than foil. Funny you’re the first I’ve heard of LE problems with the Boost 1. Maybe it’s just you.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:34 am

It says: " My sewing tradie fixed more Boost1 LE than any of you would like to admit." - it's plural to make it clear.

Right. It hasn't got the blowout valve, and it should. Sonic v1 was also not a first foil, but hey, they've made a v2...

I'm not deputing the Soul, I'm saying the obvious: that v2 Or v3, or whatever, will be better than v1.

How can a foil crash onto the LE, withstand the overpressure and still be 'sealed' as new, is unknown to me. Particularly when saying crashed it very hard. What is it than, a balloon?

God, the guy here ripped internal ribs due to a crash on Chrono, which was sent back to the factory for repair, 800$ latter, it was fixed. All due to one hard crash.

No blowout valve? Good for all of them. Remember the Chrono owners and the tip velcro they've made themselves? Someone needs to do it.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 am

Flysurfer is not Ozone. FS builds their foils much better. Soul has the 12 month warranty so if it were to explode like you seem so terrified will happen, Flysurfer will repair free of cost. Here’s a vid of them testing crashes on a soul pronto. It’s a well built kite.

https://youtu.be/ewqgioVZNIE

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skywalker7 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:15 am

AdroVempo wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:10 am
Thanks everyone. 2 more questions:

1. 15mt vs 18 mt?. I weigh 190+ lbs. In-land Lakes here do not have consistent winds. So lightwind suddenly picks up to higher gusts. I usually hear foils are more powerful than their same-size LEI equivalents. I noticed that myself, while snowkiting this winter. A 5m foil kite was enough to pull me rapidly on frozen lake. If I was to get a LEI kite, it would have been 17m size. (please suggest between 15 or 18 mt for Flysurfer Soul).

2. Will either of the above size Souls work with the following bar+lines setup? :
"2017 Cabrinha 1X Fixed Length Fireball TrimLite Control Bar (52cm bar width)". You might ask why I cannot get a separate bar, but I sooo like the Fireball system (it is not Chicken Loop).
The reason I ask about bar compatibility is because of 2 factors:-
a). High Y vs Low V, and
b). 52 cm Bar width for larger kites.
Hi!

I just tried my friends Soul 15M the weekend. Definitely it has enough power. As far as I know the Cabrinha bars are low V just as the Flysurfer bars so this Cab bar will be ok.
The Soul 15m comes with a 50 cm bar and actually it flies ok but the 52 cm bar with 22 or 24 M lines will be perfect.( I tried my Soul 12m on 60 cm bar but it was just too much bar force and the Soul was not really turning so much faster as I expected so went back back on the 50 cm)
The only thing you need to take care with other brands bars, that some of the bars main lines stay twisted after a few rolls or kite loops in one direction and I guess after 5 or 10 twists on the main line the single line safety system will not work. So this case you have to take care that you have to do the rolls or loops to untangle your twist on the main line. The Flysurfer bars has this infinity feature and no matter how many rolls you are making in one direction the single line safety will be workable. I am also using Ozone bars on some my Flysurfer and I have to take care of these things.

Return to “Reviews”