Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
winddoctor
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The WetSuit Game: Patagonia R4-R5

Postby winddoctor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:00 pm

Getting out of a Yulex chest-zip fullsuit feels like giving birth to yourself.
That must be why I feel reborn after a session! The amount of effort pulling my shoulders out of the R4 feels like I'm doing a contortionist's magic trick every time. Sucks with cold hands too. If they could sort this issue they'd be so much nicer, but I can live with it.

oldcolonial
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Cod, MA, USA
Style: Freeride, waves when I get better
Gear: 132 cm Underground FLX, 131 cm Nobile 555, 145 cm North Phanton, Ozone Light XC kites (8, 10, 12). Gear shared with my oldest child.

Postby oldcolonial » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:27 pm

I own both an older Patagonia R4 and their short lived R3 Neoprene drysuit. I like them both for different reasons.
Drysuit:
In the winter when both water and air are cold ( 40's for water, down to about mid 30's for air are my limits) the drysuit rocks. Pro-s: Being sealed in a dry suit with 3mm of neoprene with a poly/fleece layer underneath is about as much as you need in terms of keeping your core temperature up. It also offers the same snug, moves with your body fit of a true wetsuit. It has a neoprene neck seal and latex leg and arm seals. The neoprene seal is much easier on your skin than the latex seals found on some drysuits. Downsides - the neck / head integration of the body to suit is not as tight as in a hooded wet suit, packing long under wear, getting out is still a chore especially the ankle seals, the entry zip is in the back. Its kind of hard to close it without help. I also added a relief zip in the front. Very nice for taking a break.
R4 Wetsuit:
Spring when the water is still cold but the air is warmer or early winter late fall when both air and water are not yet at their worst. Pro's: Pee any time you like. As a guy well past middle age, this is a nice feature. Cons: Its not quite as warm as a completely sealed suit. After a couple of years of use some of the seam seals weep a bit. Also if you do go over and get dragged you will get some cold water in through the top. Getting out of the suit in the parking lot when you are wet can also really suck. Shoulder contortions aside, being wet and pretty much naked in a cold windy parking lot while you struggle to get your feet out of the suit is just no fun.
Bag style suits:
I owned a Kokotat which was very well made but it just did not do it for me. the combination of layers of clothing and a loose fitting bag never just did not feel right. I also found burping it to be a pain and the latex neck seal to be to tight even for my pencil neck and irritating. I did like the front entry zipper. Made do it yourself entry and exit super easy.

oldcolonial
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Cod, MA, USA
Style: Freeride, waves when I get better
Gear: 132 cm Underground FLX, 131 cm Nobile 555, 145 cm North Phanton, Ozone Light XC kites (8, 10, 12). Gear shared with my oldest child.

Postby oldcolonial » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:35 pm

Bossstyle wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:10 pm
Been in my OR soul suit for 8 years now. Only worn in the winter and had the latex seals changed for neoprene ones as they last for years unlike the latex but it’s a great suit and so much nicer not getting wet! Mine being 8 years old is an early version. Really wish it had a pee zip built in like the newer ones.
Spend the coin to put in a pee zip.. It cost me about $100 at the local dive shop and it was one of my better gear purchases..

Return to “Reviews”