Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The WetSuit Game: Patagonia R4-R5

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

The WetSuit Game: Patagonia R4-R5

Postby beebad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:09 am

Well it is wetsuit season. Last year I almost bought the Ocean Rodeo Soul but thought if I was still kiting in a year I would invest in a wetsuit of some kind.

At almost $900, that drysuit will stay in the shop.

Looking at choices, Patagonia has its roots in surfing so it is no big surprise they will make wetsuits. I live in Northern Virginia and I am bracing for the cold weather, but all you have to do is dress for it.

Patagonia has the Hooded R-4(38-48) and R-5 (32-38 degrees).

Does anyone have either of these wetsuits? You can't be too warm when its freakin freezing outside and I still have my 3/2 for when its not stupid cold out.

Any thoughts?

VB705
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The WetSuit Game: Patagonia R4-R5

Postby VB705 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:40 am

I have the R4 and love it it. Plenty warm for va temps. I think the only call for the R5 would be on the coldest days of the year. Great suits and it’s what I switch to after I can’t wear my Rip curl Flashbomb 4/3.

Only downsides to the Patagonia are price and they aren’t as flexible as my Flashbomb.

Another option could be a thicker Rip Curl Flashbomb if you could find them. Could be the best of both worlds. Of coarse each brand fits everyone different so I would try it first.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:10 pm

I have the R5. Have had a couple drysuits over the past decade and I like the wetsuit better. It just swims so much better which makes every moment in the water faster and smoother. The R5 being a little thicker is quite a bit easier to get on and off than my stretchier 4/3. The furry lining just slides on. Now that Im foiling more of the time, I wear the warmer suit more often. Would way rather be toasty than chilled. No complaints about it so far. The extra bomber built cuffs on both arms and legs are great. Definitely recommend this suit.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:03 pm

I have one of the R's, not sure if it is the 5 or 4. It's not labeled on the suit--just has 'R' written on the sleeve. It is a great suit! It has held up much better than my Hyperflex. The Hyperflex was very hard to get off and one of the dams around the neck area tore so that water leaks in. This really decreases the warmth. The Patagonia suit is pretty easy to get on and off. Having some suit juice helps, too. I also have the Patagonia dry suit and am very happy with it. There's nothing like having a good wetsuit this time of year.

winddoctor
Rare Poster

Postby winddoctor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:41 pm

No comparison between the OR Soul and the Patagonia really. I had one of the earlier Souls and it was great as long as you didn't need to swim in it for any reason. It was super warm (windchill wicking not an issue like in a surf suit) and mobility out of the water was pretty good. They are really two suits for different needs/preferences. I like the R4 for waves and use it outside of summer for the rest of the year. I've never really got on well with the baggy feel of a dry suit, but they are hard to match for warmth and the ability to layer as temps dictate. The R4 is a great suit, very durable, very warm, but it is far from the most flexible as surf suits go. I am on my 2nd R4 now and like it a lot.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 am

I was looking at the sizing charts and was wonder who has bodies like that. I am 5.8 170 pounds but the dimensions are all wonky....really need to go to a show room and try these on someplace? We do have a Patagonia store here in Georgetown but haven't called to see if they have any wetsuits....

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:25 pm

beebad wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 am
I was looking at the sizing charts and was wonder who has bodies like that. I am 5.8 170 pounds but the dimensions are all wonky....really need to go to a show room and try these on someplace? We do have a Patagonia store here in Georgetown but haven't called to see if they have any wetsuits....
I have all Patagonia suits, a shorty, R2 and R3... I kite the great lakes and never really need anything thicker then the R3 4/3 (front zip), my rule though is to never kite in temps below 21 Deg C combining water and air temps, but that gets me out well into November most years....
I find that Patagonia suits fit small... I would usually be a large in other wetsuits but with Patagonia the XLS fits perfect but I am 5-10 180lbs

FYI I am allergic to neoprene which is why I spend the money on Patogonia suits, I did make a mistake this year and purchased a R3 front zip in xls (non yulex) which I cannot wear... its been worn once (then I realized it was not yulex) perfect condition and I am selling it for $200 CAD.

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:28 pm

VB705 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:40 am
Only downsides to the Patagonia are price and they aren’t as flexible as my Flashbomb
Getting out of a Yulex chest-zip fullsuit feels like giving birth to yourself.

Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine

Postby Yodarocket31 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:11 am

I went through 2 OR Soul suits before getting an R5. That is to say, both Soul drysuits leaked so I returned them and gave up on drysuits.

Mostly foiling, I much prefer a wetsuit over a baggy dry suit, anyway. I definitely recommend the R5 for kiting in full winter conditions.

It is a bit of a workout getting in and out of the thing, however. Supposedly they break in and stretch a little after some time, but getting that first shoulder/arm in or out is often a real beast...

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip

Postby Bossstyle » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Been in my OR soul suit for 8 years now. Only worn in the winter and had the latex seals changed for neoprene ones as they last for years unlike the latex but it’s a great suit and so much nicer not getting wet! Mine being 8 years old is an early version. Really wish it had a pee zip built in like the newer ones.

Return to “Reviews”