Local Beach: Tenerife, Denmark, West Oz, New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Coronation, El Cabezo, Klitmøller, Hanstholm
Style: Wave
Gear: Shinn boards Airush kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Airush Ultra v2 7 & 10m user review

Postby Justin Stuart » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:38 pm

I bought some new kites recently. Tricky decision on what to get, but I went with the single strut Airush Ultra v2, in a 7m and 10m. I don’t like being super powered up, and ideally these kites will cover me from 12-25 knots (the conditions I like to kite in!).
I am a 70kg intermediate kiter, enjoying strapless wave riding and sometimes a few jumps and flat water on the twintip.

First impression - they are incredible kites! As soon as I first launched the 7m kite (in very gusty conditions) I felt so comfortable and in control. The kites are incredibly easy to fly!
I was concerned about single strut kites not handling well in gusty conditions or when really powered up, but I'm finding these Ultras have a massive wind range and with the huge de-power from the bar throw they are perfectly well behaved! The canopy feels and looks very strong, and the whole kite feels very solid when flying. I did expect for the kite to be flapping like crazy in a gust or when sheeting out, but that's not the case!

The kites fly fast, and it's very hard to make them fall out of the sky - even if you go into a gybe and carve before turning the kite, it's very hard to get underneath the kite, it will drift and keep flying!
The kites are perfect for wave riding, plenty of drift and they were covering up my moments of bad flying/timing!

I feel like the Ultra is giving me better light wind performance than my previous 3 strut kites, and also I’m feeling more comfortable at the top end with how effective the Ultra is at dumping power. The 7 and 10 have overlap so this is a comfortable quiver and working out well for me, but I think you could stretch the sizing out more too - originally I was thinking 6/10, but I want the 7m to be my main kite, expecting to be kiting mostly around the 15-20 knots conditions.

These kites are absolutely perfect for me and so far I have nothing negative to report!

99AE4FE5-9220-4230-8C6F-1A5432FE6440.jpeg
F05510B3-0B82-4AF6-918F-6AF73B994EF5.jpeg
6FB08E42-4A4A-4437-8E05-3B2BFA752D89.jpeg
These users thanked the author Justin Stuart for the post:
AdroVempo (Sun May 24, 2020 4:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Justin Stuart
Rare Poster

Re: Airush Ultra v2 7 & 10m user review

Postby Justin Stuart » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:35 pm

If you want to hear why these kites could well be the future and significantly better than anything else for general freeride, wave and foil, check out this audio from the UK’s Mike Birt (it’s about 30min but very interesting! The section on the Ultra starts about 20min in). -

https://player.fm/series/the-tantrum-ki ... wind-kites

Justin Stuart
Rare Poster

Re: Airush Ultra v2 7 & 10m user review

Postby Justin Stuart » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:27 pm

The 10m got a great review by iksurfmag, sounds perfect as a foiling kite too.

https://www.iksurfmag.com/reviews/kites ... -10m-2018/

Return to “Reviews”