Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
nayy
Frequent Poster

Re: Strutless Gong Kite Reviews?

Postby nayy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:46 am

lightwind wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi Nayy,

Thanks for the review. Nice to hear that kite is stable in lulls. I'm on the almost same number of sessions as you are, was on the winter break and will start foiling in one month again. Can you comment on the fluttering in the transitions? I have similar wind conditions in my home spot, just without swell. What is your weight? I'm 75 kg and considering buying 10 m kite and line extensions up to 30 m. If you go for more sessions please post experience.

Cheers
The kite has some flutter when you depower it, I think it is just something to live with, with strutless kites... you just hear it, cannot feel it in the bar... If I have to choose between fluttering or a stalling kite I know what to choose :-)
(btw: my ozone 9 in 30 knots gusts had also a lot of fluttering when I depowered yesterday :-))

I'm 83 kg now without gear, with my 6 mm winter wetsuit, cap, boots, gloves, harness and some water you can probably add 5 kg :-).

Your foil also makes a big difference... is it a light-wind foil, beginner foil, or more advanced and smaller foil ?

nayy

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lightwind » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:52 am

nayy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:46 am
lightwind wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi Nayy,

Thanks for the review. Nice to hear that kite is stable in lulls. I'm on the almost same number of sessions as you are, was on the winter break and will start foiling in one month again. Can you comment on the fluttering in the transitions? I have similar wind conditions in my home spot, just without swell. What is your weight? I'm 75 kg and considering buying 10 m kite and line extensions up to 30 m. If you go for more sessions please post experience.

Cheers
The kite has some flutter when you depower it, I think it is just something to live with, with strutless kites... you just hear it, cannot feel it in the bar... If I have to choose between fluttering or a stalling kite I know what to choose :-)
(btw: my ozone 9 in 30 knots gusts had also a lot of fluttering when I depowered yesterday :-))

I'm 83 kg now without gear, with my 6 mm winter wetsuit, cap, boots, gloves, harness and some water you can probably add 5 kg :-).

Your foil also makes a big difference... is it a light-wind foil, beginner foil, or more advanced and smaller foil ?

nayy
I have freeride foil, something like moses fluente. Not for super light wind as I understand. I will try this summer with this setup and maybe for next season will buy surf wing for extra lift in light wind. Yesterday I ordered size 10, V3 gong strutless and 10 m line extensions. I’ve been said that 12 is geting overpowered too soon. Wind is strange in my town, it’s a bay and it’s gusty, 7-15 knots. We will see, can’t wait to try beginning of June. Will post impressions.

tomhorton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marina Bay, CA
Style: Intermediate
Gear: Gong v3 Strutless Kites, 6m, 8m, 10m
Slingshot Celeritas strapless surfboard
Lift 170 Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomhorton » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:21 pm

I have the 6m, 9m, and 12m V2 Gong Strutless Kites (previously had Cloud-older model). For my riding (strapless surfboard and foil) and abilities (intermediate), I know of no better all around kite than the Gong Strutless. In the waves, I want the kite to drift, which means it needs to luff well and the "flapping" helps with that. The kite is very stable at the zenith due to the "flapping". And being light weight helps immensely to keep the kite from falling into the surf when I go too directly towards the kite. Also, where I kite the wind can drop like a rock and the light weight, along with lots of sineing and continuously looping, helps to keep the kite in the air. Relative to foiling, other than some foil kites, e.g. the Flysurfer Soul, the Gong Strutless is my preferred kite. When I am overpowered/going too fast, I can put the kite at the zenith and it will stay there without a lot of input from me. As these kites are sold online, they are reasonably priced. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and if anyone would like to try a Gong Strutless v2, let me know. Cheers, Tom
These users thanked the author tomhorton for the post:
alexglebov (Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

alexglebov
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA, USA
3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA, USA
Favorite Beaches: Lake Nitinat, BC
La Ventana, MX
Style: Mowing the lawn
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Postby alexglebov » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:46 am

This is very helpful reviews! I just ordered my first V3, 8m Gong kite. So far the experience is very positive with easy ordering online. I am also in San Francisco Bay Area and looking forward to try it on foil at 3rd ave. I will post more updates when I get the kite.

lightwind
Medium Poster
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Received my Gong Strutless V3 size 10 m couple of days ago. From first look I can say the build quality is very good. Kite is made of materials that you will expect to see on any premium brand. Bag is comfortable and thick padded but I miss one or two small pockets inside or outside of the bag. Bar is looking good, but I’m not sure how long eva foam ends will last. All lines are ending with loop and knot on top so you can use this bar on any kite. Fiberglass batten ends should be better protected (just some thin dacron) so you don't scratch your kite. I found hard to place the batten in pocket on the kite. Hopefully it will get easier after couple of times placing it in and out. Still haven’t used it, will post impressions once I go out on water.
These users thanked the author lightwind for the post:
Breze (Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Is the Gong bar a high Y split? Is it a similar height to the North split

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:17 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:15 pm
Is the Gong bar a high Y split? Is it a similar height to the North split
Low Y split like ozone.

wallydog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barbwire beach
Favorite Beaches: Los Barriles and Gorge
Style: foil
Gear: Armstrong 1050. Slingshot SST and Airush ultras.

Postby wallydog » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:12 pm

Who sells Gong kites in the USA?

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:34 pm

wallydog wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:12 pm
Who sells Gong kites in the USA?
None ... direct sale from Europe.

alexglebov
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA, USA
3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA, USA
Favorite Beaches: Lake Nitinat, BC
La Ventana, MX
Style: Mowing the lawn
Gear: Slingshot Rally

Postby alexglebov » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:40 pm

I have received my 8m Gong V3 in the end of April and had several sessions on foil. I am a beginner foiler, so not very efficient with my water starts yet, but I was able to get going in as low as 13kts of wind on Liquid Force Rocket foil, 60cm mast on small 4'5'' board. The top range is 20kts for me on that foil, I am 220lbs dry weight. This kite is awesome, stays in the air in as little as 7kts, drifts well, very stable at 12, requires almost no steering there, I was able to do water re-launch in 9kts of wind (or less). I am thinking of getting another Gong kite - a 10m one-strut for 10-13kts days.

Return to “Reviews”