Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cloud 9 X22 Surf Foil for kite foil review

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
wallydog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barbwire beach
Favorite Beaches: Los Barriles and Gorge
Style: foil
Gear: Armstrong 1050. Slingshot SST and Airush ultras.
Brand Affiliation: None

Cloud 9 X22 Surf Foil for kite foil review

Postby wallydog » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:21 pm

I have been using the Cloud 9 new X22 foil to replace the Liquid Force Impulse I had before this. The LF Impulse is the same as the old Cloud 9 S24 wing. The X22 is the smallest wing in their new line. They make a 22", 24, 28 and 32" surf wings. Wings are designed for surf foil but we all know how wings crossover to kiteboarding nicely.
I enjoyed the LF Impulse/ S24 in low/normal powered conditions but did not like the lift created when riding overpowered. Too much for my 160 lb. rider ability. I have found the X22 is very manageable in all conditions especially strong wind. It turns nice and is stable like the Impulse and may have more top end speed but I would not call this a fast wing which is OK for me. It pretty much has done everything I wanted for a kiting wing.
The wingset comes with a new design carbon fuselage (more streamlined) with an aluminum mast (Carbon available also). Mast hole pattern is the same as a Liquid Force mast so your LF mast will bolt right up. Sadly the new wings are not reverse compatible to the old LF Impulse and old Cloud 9 carbon fuselage.
The new carbon fuse is very nice. The wings come in a hybrid or carbon construction. I went with the hybrid construction to save some money and they still are very light. May add a X24 or X28 wing option for light wind foiling as it bolts right on to this fuse.
I have hit bottom many times (sand and rock) and they have held up well with my negligence. Thats about it. Nice foil for the money. Check them out. I am not affiliated with Cloud 9.
https://cloud9surffoils.com/blogs/news/what-s-new
Last edited by wallydog on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: Cloud 9 X22 Surf Foil for kite foil review

Postby slowboat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:47 am

They make nice products and are very passionate about what they do but need a carbon mast longer than 30 inches if they want to sell to kiters.

wallydog
Rare Poster

Postby wallydog » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:33 pm

I use a 36 inch Liquid Force mast that appears to be readily available from online stores. I haven't felt a need for a carbon mast especially because most of the weight is in the fuse and wings. The Cloud 9 wings and carbon fuselage feel light at the end of the aluminum mast so hauling foil to the water is no issue. Wings float so that helps for body drag and water starts. Agreed it would be nice to have a carbon mast kite option but for the money I would rather have another front wing for my money.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Looks like on the new x-series the carbon mast inserts into the carbon fuselage. I don't think the LF mast will be compatible with the new carbon fuse, only the aluminum fuse. Even as a mostly shallow water foiler, using 30" masts or less, I still would want to have the "option" for a longer mast.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:02 am

I don't think their breakup with LF was amicable.

wallydog
Rare Poster

Postby wallydog » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:41 am

Their aluminum mast fits on a different carbon fuse than the carbon mast fuse. It looks like the same nicely shaped carbon fuse but the aluminum mast bolts onto the top. The hole pattern for the Cloud 9 is the same as Liquid Force. I wish all the aluminum masts out there had the same hole pattern. That would be something. :thumb:

Return to “Reviews”