Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Boxer 10m 19/20

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Boxer 10m 19/20

Postby Onda » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:42 am

I have the 2019/2020 Boxer in 10 m² and it is the best kite for foiling I´ve ever had. Super easy handling, almost impossible to drop it even if you do the most stupid mistakes. And it has a super-smooth power delivery which makes foiling (particularly as a beginner) very relaxed. It has excellent depower, which surprised me first (I had other 1-strut kites before and they all had very poor depower compared to 3-strut models).
The 10 m² Boxer is very nice with strapless surfboard as well. Not quite as good as a Reo, but as a crossover kite for foil and wave it is really perfect. It is not super-fast turning, but still at least same speed as a 10 m² Reo, I´d guess. And it reacts very sensitively to bar input, with very moderate bar pressure overall. A real joy to fly.
I´ve recently purchased the 8 m² boxer as well as it is so cheap right now that the new successor model is out. But I wasn´t able to test it yet.
I´m 75 kg btw. My smaller kites are 6 m² Religion and 4.5 m² Drifter. I´m not good enough to foil when the wind is strong, so only surfboard from 20 kts and beyond.

According to https://www.gleiten.tv the new Boxer model is identical with the predecessor, only difference is the new inflation valve (and colors).
These users thanked the author Onda for the post:
Mikkelza (Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:39 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Mikkelza
Medium Poster
Gear: Wave + foil

Postby Mikkelza » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:45 am

Frankieboy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:34 pm
BUT for me you should compare a 9m 3-strut kite to a 8m Boxer in terms of wind range. Then 8m Boxer turns faster.
Yes, that was my idea, to compare a 9m2 3 strut wave kite with the 8m boxer wrt windrage.

Frankieboy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:34 pm
I've been riding the first Boxer 2017/2018 for foiling in sizes 10 and 8
I didn't use the 10 a lot on the foil because the 8m started very early and really was a joy to ride.
Onda wrote: I have the 2019/2020 Boxer in 10 m²
(CLIP)
I´ve recently purchased the 8 m² boxer as well
I consider to combine the 8m2 and 11m2 and hope that the jump of 3 m2 is fine in these sizes..

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 am

I think it will be fine.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Mikkelza wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:49 pm
One more thing: you write that a 9m2 3 strut wave kite is faster turning than a 10m2 1-strut kite?

Maybe I could also stick with my 9m2 3-strut freeride kite for both waves and foiling, and just go for a single 1-strut kite for light wind foiling..
Hi Mikkelza,

Regarding my comments on how my 3-strut wave kites have been faster than my 10m one-strut Boxer. This was as expected as my 10m is bigger for starters, secondly 3-strut kites are a lot more rigid in the frame and have a quicker response as a result.

I would agree with the other responses with regards what kites you should be thinking about. Something to consider though is that one-strut kites are getting better and better. I think they’ll be the standard kite in the not too distant future with material improvement. The new S25 Boxer is marketed as a wave kite cross-over as well. The Boxer drifts just as good as my Slash I would say.

I rode my 10m Boxer in 8-9 knots for the first time last weekend on my 1100cm2 surf foil. 5 other Kiter’s were out on 12+ foil kites. I’m really impressed at the low end of this kite. I’m now considering a 4-5m Boxer for riding a foil or surfboard in the waves from 20+knots.

Best of luck.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:04 am

Regarding my earlier comments on the slow-ish turning speed of my 10m Boxer, I have recently shorted my flying lines on my Naish Torque Bar by one knot. This has resulted in a more reactive kite and quicker turning speed.

I would highly recommend doing this for all size boxers (on the Naish bar) for these reason. It also allows the kite to be stalled when sheeted in, which comes in handy when foiling. When I’m on my surfboard in the waves on this kite, I dial-in some depower which is better for that style.

I pulled the trigger on a 5m 19/20 Boxer which should arrive next week. Just in time for some 20knot+ winter cold fronts :thumb:

Hope this helps.

Mikkelza
Medium Poster
Gear: Wave + foil

Postby Mikkelza » Sat May 16, 2020 11:35 am

Thanks for the all in input. Several of you recognized my idea of a 8 and 11m2 boxer to complement my 7m2 three strut wave kite.
After talking with PF I saw the idea of go for a 9 or 10m2 only, however I like the broader wind range with 8m2 and 11m2, and since I am still learning on the foil I hope I will benefit from the extra power of the 11m2 in light wind.

I received the two kites 3-4 weekes ago (my feeling for time kind of stopped with the covid 19 lockdown..). I have had the kites out both on foil and surfboard a few times. Mostly the 8m2. Seems like great kites. Quick responding, great power. The 8m2 boxer is great after my 7m2 wave kites. Does not turn as pivotal (of course I haven't tried the same sizes).
The 2019/2020 (which is similar to this year's model, 2020/2021?, named s25, as far as I understand) is very sensible for oversheeting. A little annoying, but easy to adjust with a bit of depower on the trim line. Funny with the previous post about shoortening the steering lines, haha.

So far I am very happy with the kites. I look forward to really try out the 11m2 in light wind. I am happy for my 2017 waves kites, and hope they will last another year, but I did think about trying a set of 4 and 6m2 boxer kites to replace my 4.5, 5.5 and 7m2 wave kites..
Maybe 4 and 6m2 is a little too big jump in sizes..

Return to “Reviews”