Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Is your harness weaker than your lines?

Postby davedej » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:08 pm

No offence but our posts get deleted randomly, so we are letting go of Kiteforum.com
We have no bias
no sponsors
no money funds
and no interested in getting so.
Dave
We Test Kites
Attachments
graph 22 march 2020 hooks.JPG
Ion Apex (Klein).jpg
Ion Apex (Klein).jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 10112 times
Last edited by davedej on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author davedej for the post:
purdyd (Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Is your harness weaker than your lines?

Postby edt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:09 pm

I think I've snapped a half dozen spreader hooks by now all different brands. As far as I can tell they will all eventually fail. I think it's not that they aren't strong enough it's that they all suffer from metal fatigue. I don't think I've ever snapped a brand new one they usually fail after about 1 or 2 years. I would love it if they just make a hook out of a solid chuck of steel, even if it weighed four times as much I would use it because a snapped spreader hook often means swimming back. They aren't that expensive $50 or so for a new spreader bar, it's the inconvenience that's the worst.

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Canos de meca Spain
Ride clash 140 2.1

Postby davedej » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:09 pm
I think I've snapped a half dozen spreader hooks by now all different brands. As far as I can tell they will all eventually fail. I think it's not that they aren't strong enough it's that they all suffer from metal fatigue. I don't think I've ever snapped a brand new one they usually fail after about 1 or 2 years. I would love it if they just make a hook out of a solid chuck of steel, even if it weighed four times as much I would use it because a snapped spreader hook often means swimming back. They aren't that expensive $50 or so for a new spreader bar, it's the inconvenience that's the worst.
Tried the Mystic Stealth bar?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:47 pm

haven't tried the stealth yet but I'm sure just from looking at it that it will also eventually snap. I am pretty sure most riders never snap the spreader hook off because either 1) they are a sponsored rider and change out gear every year so the metal never fatigues or 2) they aren't aggressive enough with their gear to fatigue it. kiteloops are I think what really wear it out.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Not sure of kite loops...since they yank you forward.

The lift pulls up and should put more stress on it considering the angle of the pull.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:39 pm

A lot of times you aren't facing forwards you might be upside down and backwards when you loop it. Even if you are facing forward you won't be exactly in line so it will flex and create metal fatigue. Anyway that's my theory, metal fatigue at least when I snap them that's what it feels like. loops put way more stress on the spreader hook than a simple jump.

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Canos de meca Spain
Ride clash 140 2.1

Postby davedej » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:47 pm
haven't tried the stealth yet but I'm sure just from looking at it that it will also eventually snap. I am pretty sure most riders never snap the spreader hook off because either 1) they are a sponsored rider and change out gear every year so the metal never fatigues or 2) they aren't aggressive enough with their gear to fatigue it. kiteloops are I think what really wear it out.
There is some truth in your statement, but I think you are cutting things a bit short here.
If some one breaks a hook after 5 years that is understandable. The same if you are 100kg's+ and kite in 30+ winds.
But the statistics show very clearly more issues on 2 brands. We don't know all details, but we are sure there are issues. Even on 70kg riders Ion hook snapped and RE hooks are bending.
If the Mystic Stealth bar -for example- can be used much longer shall become clear in time.
Statements like 'they all will break sooner or later' don't contribute to the discussion nor does it make the sport safer.
Dave
We Test Kites

redskykiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maumee Bay State Park
Gear: All Slingshot...RPX and UFO

Postby redskykiter » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:55 pm

Wow interesting article. I have been kiting almost 20 years on Dakine harnesses exclusively and have only had one break....but it was a windsurf harness/hook waaay back. I do tend to upgrade harnesses every few years and though and I'm not a heavy kiter I do ride pretty aggressive. Funny thing was I was just looking to upgrade to a 2020 Dakine Pyro and saw this thread

edit: I ride fresh water most of the time and rinse after sessions in salt water

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby a99 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:08 pm

Strange: ride engine harmess which using all pro rider usually starting bend on 225 kg only. So weak metal? But quite all pro riders exactly with his harness throwing huge megaloops:) even at Kota events. Brave guys for sure:)
I had liquid force delux harness for 6 years and no any issue. Still i not thorwing megaloops. Now with mystic warriow len10 harness im happy to.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:33 pm

davedej wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 pm

There is some truth in your statement, but I think you are cutting things a bit short here.
If some one breaks a hook after 5 years that is understandable. The same if you are 100kg's+ and kite in 30+ winds.
But the statistics show very clearly more issues on 2 brands. We don't know all details, but we are sure there are issues. Even on 70kg riders Ion hook snapped and RE hooks are bending.
If the Mystic Stealth bar -for example- can be used much longer shall become clear in time.
Statements like 'they all will break sooner or later' don't contribute to the discussion nor does it make the sport safer.
Dave
We Test Kites
I agree. Thanks for the response. Just giving my feelings on what's going on, but I would be so happy if you found a spreader hook that doesn't break.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
davedej (Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:07 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Reviews”