Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer New VMG - An amazing kite

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Flysurfer New VMG - An amazing kite

Postby fernmanus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:35 am

I had the opportunity to fly the new 23m VMG the past 2 days on a twin tip. Yes, I know this kite was designed for racing. It is obvious from the tiny bridle lines and fiberglass battens that this kite was not meant for free riding, but you might be curious how does Flysurfer’s latest race kite perform with a twin tip. The answer is that it is incredible.

Let’s start with the launch. The fiberglass rods give the kite structure, so inflation is far better than the Soul 21m or 18m Sonic 3. Once in the air, the kite looks huge, because it is 23 fricken sq meters. You would think that it would handle like a blimp, but there you would be wrong. Yes, it is slow, but the steering is direct for a kite that large. The bar pressure is very light. Depower is the most important feature for a huge kite. I had a 26m Psycho 2 back in the day. I think it had a 4 knot wind range. The VMG has a ton of depower. You can let off the gas quickly when you need to.

Boosting is better than a 21m Soul with the softest landings I have ever experienced on any kite. It is a very fast kite allowing excellent boosts.

So why even write a review when this kite was clearly intended for racing with a hydrofoil? Answer- this kite with more robust bridles would make an amazing free ride kite. I would even be willing to put up with the fiberglass spars. The kite cannot be folded, so I am curious how the racers will transport this kite via airplane. Perhaps, they will just use a ski or snowboard box? The kite fits fine in my rooftop cargo carrier.

Pack up is fast, similar to my Sonic3.

So like a car, a regular Joe can enjoy a Ferrari, even if he is not a racer. Same is true with the VMG. If I lived in a place like San Diego, I would not even wait for a free ride version.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post (total 3):
Atte (Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:56 pm) • davesails7 (Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:20 pm) • trashboat (Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:53 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Flysurfer New VMG - An amazing kite

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:20 pm

Awesome review, I have to say my daily serenity prayer in order to not buy one of these (don't need it but really want it).

How long was the 23m in the bag? I'm curious just how inconvenient the batons really are, was it over 6 feet?

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby juanpasala » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:21 pm

I guess the kite wont be lasting very long XD
Transport should be done in the board bag, ultimatelly getting a longer one.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:20 am

Awesome review, I have to say my daily serenity prayer in order to not buy one of these (don't need it but really want it).

How long was the 23m in the bag? I'm curious just how inconvenient the batons really are, was it over 6 feet?
Thank you, I will measure the bag and let you know.
And why will the kite not last long???

chaosgate
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Sonic3

Postby chaosgate » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:44 am

fernmanus wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:35 am
So why even write a review when this kite was clearly intended for racing with a hydrofoil? Answer- this kite with more robust bridles would make an amazing free ride kite.
Since it has about half the lines of a regular bridle, it might be not too bad to build one yourself out of some reasonable strength Liros lines (something like DC-60/100/161 like the sonic3). Probably easy to bump up the strength without a noticeable decrease in performance (unless you're racing).

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:59 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:20 am

Thank you, I will measure the bag and let you know.
And why will the kite not last long???
Because even with standard foiling they tend to get of tune pretty easily, and the bridles, even if they are thicker, are designed to stand a constant pull, not a varying one that you ll be giving it in a twintip.

Return to “Reviews”