Long term review of Nobile Split foil/surf and twintip

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Long term review of Nobile Split foil/surf and twintip

Postby bkkite » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:24 pm

windybrit wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:29 pm
Ok great so at least I can use the board with a slingshot mast if I wish, Thanks.
Yep, and that might also mean it’s compatible with other masts. Keep in mind it still uses M6 hardware not the M8 which is more standard. The slingshot masts I also think are compatible with Moses wings, as they have an adapter. That should give you a ton of flexibility.

In terms of wings, I really liked learning on the Infinity 76 wing, it was so so stable for a heavier guy. I also loved progressing from there to the Apollo 60 wing, which is essentially a slightly smaller Moses 633

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:04 pm

Good point, I will have to check to Bolt sizings…… I am leaning towards the belief that since I brought my gear for a decent price I should just sell it and move to something current as it seems to me that foiling hardware has evolved/improved decently in the last 5 years.
I understand that one benefit I’ll get riding a larger front wing will be more lift and better stability in comparison to the 800 cm2 that I currently have (the Apollo 60 is 1150 cm2) …….. Logic would seem to tell me in this regard that as a lighter rider (just under 150lbs) I need less lift
than someone of say 25lbs more…… so something of the Apollo sizing should be sufficient for me given my goals are carving and cruising in lighter winds.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:06 pm

windybrit wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:04 pm
Good point, I will have to check to Bolt sizings…… I am leaning towards the belief that since I brought my gear for a decent price I should just sell it and move to something current as it seems to me that foiling hardware has evolved/improved decently in the last 5 years.
I understand that one benefit I’ll get riding a larger front wing will be more lift and better stability in comparison to the 800 cm2 that I currently have (the Apollo 60 is 1150 cm2) …….. Logic would seem to tell me in this regard that as a lighter rider (just under 150lbs) I need less lift
than someone of say 25lbs more…… so something of the Apollo sizing should be sufficient for me given my goals are carving and cruising in lighter winds.
Yeah, I think the Apollo 60 could be great for your lighter weight. I was surprised how similar it was to the Infinity 76 even though it was a lot smaller physically. You get more speed and agility and you only give up a bit of stability. The foil still rides pretty slow (i.e. has a low speed of coming off foil) if you want it to... and I think it handles cavitation (coming out of the water?) better than my previous foil. I rode the Space Skate when I first got the slingshot foil, and never enjoyed it as much as these two. It also weighs a lot less, which is nice for carrying down the beach.
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post:
windybrit (Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Postby Hpr » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:18 am

Hey bkkite, I have a favour to ask - would you mind measuring the dimensions of the mast to board mounting holes so that I can figure out whether my Liquid Force foil will work on this board? I know you said it's compatible with SS but I don't know the SS dimensions either.

And a general question, does anyone have any user experience with the Nobile NHP Split Foil? This is the split twintip that also has foil mounting hardware. It measures 139 x 41,5. I'm wondering how this board will work as a foil board, thinking it might flex quite a bit. And if they re-inforced it a lot to reduce flex I am thinking it might be quite stiff as a twintip in chop and for boosting etc. Also wondering if it will float with any foil (probably not with aluminum?) Any reviews?

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:55 am

Hpr wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:18 am
Hey bkkite, I have a favour to ask - would you mind measuring the dimensions of the mast to board mounting holes so that I can figure out whether my Liquid Force foil will work on this board? I know you said it's compatible with SS but I don't know the SS dimensions either.

And a general question, does anyone have any user experience with the Nobile NHP Split Foil? This is the split twintip that also has foil mounting hardware. It measures 139 x 41,5. I'm wondering how this board will work as a foil board, thinking it might flex quite a bit. And if they re-inforced it a lot to reduce flex I am thinking it might be quite stiff as a twintip in chop and for boosting etc. Also wondering if it will float with any foil (probably not with aluminum?) Any reviews?
Hey did you find more info about NHP Split Foil board? I'm thorn between their Infinity Foil Split Zen board and NHP Split Foil, I'm sure Infinity foil board would be easier to ride and learn new things but NHP Split Foil seems so versatile for traveling, two kites, one board and foil wing should cover any location with wind from 10kts to 40kts.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:33 am

I've got the first generation spilt foil board (twin tip style).

Its difficult for me to give much meaningful feedback as a foil board as my hydrofoils are a different brand and so the footstrap positions don't really match up very well so I have only used it a couple of times. However, the one overriding impression is that its NARROW! My feeling was that you want to really be using footstraps because the deck is slippery (I have some of those thin hexa squares of grip which aren't quite good enough for a strapless deck). However I felt that it would be fun to ride as a travel board but not good enough to replace a normal hydrofoil board in my van.

As a twin tip its great - if a little heavier than I'm used to but you don't notice that on the water. 50mm fins feel large - I keep meaning to try it with smaller - but it starts surprisingly early and doesn't feel overpowered as the wind picks up. Nice and soft landings from jumps. I do keep this board in the van as a twin tip as its good enough to use without feeling like you are missing out on performance compared to your regular board (my other board is a Shinn Ronson)

Otherwise, you need to be a little more creative with attaching Woo/PIQ as anything glued on will be in the standing area with the foil. I made an aluminium plate that screws under the board handle which works well.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
SolarSet (Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:39 am)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:46 am

So if you were to choice to ride board locally you would prefer to use other regular board for foiling? I'm traveling with my gear maybe 2-3 times a year max and most of my riding done locally.

Seems like a lot compromises to live with but thats what usually happens when you have something that is too multifunctional, it doesn't really do single function very well.
My NHP carbon is 142cm which I feel is right size for me, I had Ronson which worked better in LW than NHP but I manage to hold edge better with NHP as Ronson seems little too soft.

I think this time around I will go for Nobile Infinity Split foil as it can be ridden as directions board. I'm planning to use it with Moses W633.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Re: Infinity Split Foil Foil Mount and Footstrap Inserts

Foil mount pattern - Until the 2020 model of the Infinity Foil, the M6 inserts are fixed at 90 x 165 mm, which is the most common 4-bolt spacing standard. However, if you have a Liquid Force, Cloud9 or other foil with 90 x 140 mm spacing, you have a problem. Ask me how I know... The 2020 model of the Infinity split boards have small tracks and can accommodate both mount patterns.

Footstrap inserts - For both foiling and riding as a surfboard, the front inserts [both Y and inline] are mounted too far back [IMHO, 3-6 inches too far back]. To run a single front hook, I had to mount it backwards [facing forward] in the forward front insert. Mounting a foil on the fixed insert models, your foil will probably be too far forward to use any of the inserts, but it depends on how far forward on the fuse your front wing is relative to the base. Of course, not an issue for riding strapless and less of an issue for the new boards with foil mount tracks.

As a result of these two issues, I sold my 2019 Nobile Infinity Split Foil. The do-it-all concept is cool though.

-Barry
Last edited by galewarning on Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bkkite » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:42 pm

Hpr wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:18 am

Sorry for the slow reply, no idea why I didn't get a notification. Looks like someone got the spacing for you in that last post.

I've never ridden the twin tip / foil from Nobile, so I don't know. I'd rather make sacrifices on my lighter wind board / surf board than my twin tip. Eventually I'll get a much smaller dedicated foil board, and at 110cm, that should travel better.

Return to “Reviews”