Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2021 Duotone Kites poor construction quality ?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Re: 2021 Duotone Kites poor construction quality ?

Postby HALF » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:57 am

I don't think there is any convincing needed, if it wasn't it wouldn't be used by Duotone in their more expensive kites.

jedi1
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jedi1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm

Matty V wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:50 am
“A guy.. “

Or the son of the guy that owns ocean rodeo trying to convince you that the new material they just bet the farm on is better than normal material…

Seems totally impartial.
Does it matter? I was just replying to the statement that weight decrease means a durability decrease. One can easily find different examples not related to kiteboarding, where a lighter material is indeed stronger (the question of durability vs strength is below).
Strength and durability are 2 different things ;)
True, but how would you test durability? For us kiters, what matters most is for how long a kite would last with 100% of its original performance. There are multiple factors to that: coating of the material, resistance of the coating and material itself (UV, sand, salt, water), type of usage. It can be measured by doing some averages and inspecting kites after a fair amount of usage. Even so, I don't think weight is a direct factor in any of these. Strength seems so to an extent, but is certainly not the only one.

octavt
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: el medano , gruissan, secret spot
Style: big air
Gear: 2021 duotone rebel 8 & 11 m , jaime sls , mystic harness

Postby octavt » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:09 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:48 am
This starts to look like black PR, how can you ride kite and just only notice such a severe damage to kite?
Not a fan of DT but as someone already mentioned DT must have like 40% market share if these were genuine problems we would have heard more people complaining
For sure it's not positive PR :) . I would rather be kiting than posting here, but the truth is I was really anoyed with all these problems and the way DT responded.
It's the same problem of the faulty glue that In the beginig I only noticed on the trailing edge but then little by little the glue/stiching breaks in other places. I already had repaired 2 new broken stiches on the leading edge, and this one was the last one that I noticed.

If it was only from excessive flapping, (even though I don't leave it inflated on the beach for brakes longer then 15-20 min) I guess the damage would have appeard only on the trailing edge.

I'm not saying that DT kites are bad in general and I actually enjoy how the kite performs, I'm just saying that this type of thing can happen and it happend to my 2021 rebel, which was not a cheap btw.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:51 am

That chickenloop you miss in the picture is at the bottom of the North Sea. Broke off during a medium high kiteloop and I am already three physiotherapy sessions further. Have had two previous accidents due to 2 pair!! broken Entity bindings (1 without accidents and 1 with a broken fibula as a result, 5 months of rehabilitation) and snapped lines these last two years. I simply can't say I can rely on my gear anymore. Bar is just about the most expensive one you can buy and so are those bindings. I have to say i never had anything with my past 7 North/Duotone Rebel's but still they are my last DT kites. I bought all of the mentioned gear brand new.

Duotone, do these items also come out in SLS version and do we have to buy them to get reliable quality so we won't break our precious body parts? :angryfire:
1.jpg
These users thanked the author Leon van Bergen for the post:
Kitemenn (Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:30 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:33 am

DT is just putting the wrong focus on weight and costs harming the quality and it showing in the incidents...No clue how your chickenloop could have broken like that (especially on such a new bar).

Hope you recover soon :strong: :goodluck:
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:35 am

Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:33 am
DT is just putting the wrong focus on weight and costs harming the quality and it showing in the incidents...No clue how your chickenloop could have broken like that (especially on such a new bar).

That’s normal after heavy use. Old, new, same same.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:13 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:35 am
Kitemenn wrote:

Define heavy use...I know this guy and bar is less then 1 year old no more than 30 sessions. Doesnt sound like heavy use to me...otherwise I will be in trouble soon as well
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:53 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Obviously some equipment will just randomly fail. It is true for space shuttles and it will always be true for kite equipment as well. You cannot get down to 0 incidents, but clearly bars should not fail very often.

For wear and tear parts I think the manufacturers should be better at informing when one should expect something to have been worn out. Visual inspection is fine, but you will never be able to pick up everything that way.

Very difficult to know if some brands are better than others. Duotone clearly has a higher volume than most other brands - so you would expect the no. of incidents to be higher. How you deal with issues like this is extremely important though.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post (total 2):
Kitemenn (Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:24 pm) • Leon van Bergen (Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:53 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:11 pm

I think DT has either quality control problem or they cut corners in 2021 equipment.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2411410&p=1153272#p1153272

There is not excuse in bar lines snapping frequently, heave or light use the 2021 bar should not be snapping most import part. If they want to sell their gear to recreational rider who only mown lawn they should advertise it otherwise someone has to figure out WTF.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:01 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:13 pm
Toby wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:35 am
Kitemenn wrote:

Define heavy use...I know this guy and bar is less then 1 year old no more than 30 sessions. Doesnt sound like heavy use to me...otherwise I will be in trouble soon as well

What’s his weight? Kite size and wind speeds?

Of course, it should not happen at all.
When the CL has bents and plastic opens up, be careful, sands gets inside.

Will the plastic get worn out on harness lines as well?

Return to “Reviews”