Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2021 Duotone Kites poor construction quality ?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
octavt
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: el medano , gruissan, secret spot
Style: big air
Gear: 2021 duotone rebel 8 & 11 m , jaime sls , mystic harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2021 Duotone Kites poor construction quality ?

Postby octavt » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:28 pm

@bbkite , I thought it had to do with the white color of the kite that we can see the yellow glue but you have a point core kites are white also and I havent seen this effect

@jonysan It happened to three of the pannels already. I guess I can stich it back myself to fix the loose ends but it still leaves the problem of the glue. Honestly I'm not sure that the glue plays no role in the general endurance of the kite, I mean only the fact that sand can get in the joints of the pannels can't be good . On top of that I guess it would affect the possible resell price

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:03 am

octavt wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:50 am

@duddd I contacted my dealer and he told me that this is a warranty problem and he is 99% sure they will change the kite, but the reply he got from duotone is that the kite can still fly normal and the glue it's just a way for them to keep the pannels together for sewing in the factory. Also they offered me 50$ credit. I give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they did not see all the pictures and videos I gave my dealer but I don't know it does not seem very normal to me.
Glueing the pannels is an integral part of the construction, NOT just to align and keep them together for sewing.
If the canopy and LE pannels are only sewn, the kite won't survive even one session.

Few brands have experimented replacing the double adsesive tape method with alternative materials and/or technologies (including HF welding). Maybe Duotone are close, but as it seems not there yet.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:31 am

octavt wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:55 pm
@HugoMC like this ?
Did you drive over it with a truck? I have used that 2021 bar immensely since September and there is not 1 flaw to be found. Wear also very much depends on the user.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:18 am

I also have the 2021 clickbar since end of October. Mine doesn't look that bad yet but there is also the beginnings of fraying at multiple spots.
I only use the bar for foiling so it gets the absolute lightest treatment but it is still starting to fall apart here as well.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:21 am)
Rating: 3.03%

octavt
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: el medano , gruissan, secret spot
Style: big air
Gear: 2021 duotone rebel 8 & 11 m , jaime sls , mystic harness

Postby octavt » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:49 am

@Leon van Bergen I had other bars before and this didn't happen. Also if i can say I understand the wear near the middle where i keep my hands 90% of the time, the wear near the "power" text it's even more surprising.
These users thanked the author octavt for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:22 am)

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:33 pm

octavt wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:28 pm
@bbkite , I thought it had to do with the white color of the kite that we can see the yellow glue but you have a point core kites are white also and I havent seen this effect

@jonysan It happened to three of the pannels already. I guess I can stich it back myself to fix the loose ends but it still leaves the problem of the glue. Honestly I'm not sure that the glue plays no role in the general endurance of the kite, I mean only the fact that sand can get in the joints of the pannels can't be good . On top of that I guess it would affect the possible resell price
I checked and I can see the yellow glue lines on my 2020 evo and my newish 2021.

Another reason to not like the light gray canopy.

But none of my dt kites going 2018 have loose seams where the glue failed.

I believe this is definitely a warranty issue as the stitching came apart.

I’d keep at this for the sake of all dt customers.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:15 pm

Hi Octavt, I totally agree with you. The glue used in the building of the kite, must to some extent, add to the structural integrity of the panel joins, If this glue fails then to 'some extent' that integrity will be decreased, and will rely totally on the stitching , which has come apart.
A home repair is going to lessen your confidence in the kite, and possibly the resale value.
A professional repair, hopefully 'invisible' , is probably the best fix, if Duotone won't replace the kite, which I doubt they will. also a decent professional repair will be better than replacement, unless the replacement has better stitching, which I doubt.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:02 pm

When the glue gives up or the stitches are outside the glued area, a much worse thing happens - a canopy tear along the seam. A dropped kite or even a loop can cause a long tear when only the stitches are holding the seam together. Especially on a newish kite with a crispy canopy.

I'd argue that a professional repair can be worse. Most reputable repair shops use high quality Tesa or 3M double adhesive tape simply because they don't have access to the cheaper adhesive tapes sourced by kite manufacturers in large quantities. Plus that the repair area will (should) be cleaned and the adhesive tape properly pressed to activate the PSA tape. An example - the few pinholes I've properly patched with spinnaker adhesive tape and no stitching are holding up years.

aitorlopezosua
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Melbourne, Port Phillip Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Point, Macapa, Aitutaki, Le Morne
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Duotone

Postby aitorlopezosua » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:36 pm

octavt wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:55 pm
@HugoMC like this ?

Where are you based?

I’m after my second plain bar replacement and will happens again: Right side of the grip is too short, exposing the structure of the bar, and is always peeling as it is a point of constant contact with hand.

Pretty much every click bar that I have seen in Melbourne suffer the same issue. Rep says that Duotone accepts it is a batch problem, not a global problem, and will not recall. So far, I am always getting replacement parts under warranty but waiting times are long and situation is ridiculous.

I have seen snapping leader lines too, right one where the trim unit is located, and friction on left leader line if internal tube is short. I saw mine before happening when I was going to change to my third bar: One month waiting for replacement. Keep an eye and open the click bar here and there to check, that problem could be serious, I have seen it during a kite loop.

As with hooks, I reckon we need to make some noise here, the new “improved” grip is a nightmare.

aitorlopezosua
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Melbourne, Port Phillip Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Point, Macapa, Aitutaki, Le Morne
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Duotone

Postby aitorlopezosua » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:42 pm

Here you have pics of leading lines and safety line. Materials don’t have a year, safety line changed twice already. All cover by Duotone but it is getting ridiculous…
7B9FE8F7-4675-4BFA-B11A-F097DA94B8D2.jpeg
7FC4DB90-4137-4089-AC16-ECF4D1EB672C.jpeg
733935C2-79A9-47E7-8056-2423FC065778.jpeg
Attachments
4C4EE2C9-5BB4-4257-9E6A-35F30F4AFA89.jpeg
These users thanked the author aitorlopezosua for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:04 am)

Return to “Reviews”