Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Review my Xmas stocking: Shinn Monk Chromatic 43

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Review my Xmas stocking: Shinn Monk Chromatic 43

Postby sarc » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:07 pm

I figured I'd put up a review because my impressions of this board were a little different from the extensive search I have done.
My background: 92Kg experienced rider, want to do everything every session except freestyle: so wave riding (on and x-shore, usually skoulder/head high), simple kiteloops, some darkslides, simple tricks, big floaty jumps.

Here's the tldr: the board is off the scale, I cannot think of a better freeride board.

The standout feature is how it turns. My background is OR Mako 150, Shinn Dundee, Shinn Speedball. The Monk blows all of them out of the water, which is not really mentioned in the Shinn blurb, except saying that it's good for carving (a bit like saying that bacon does not taste too bad after all).

The board handles every imaginable kind of turn like it was built for it: fast turns, slow slogging turns, powered wide arcs, snappy abrupt 180s, rail to rail, frontside, backside, it has great precision and confidence on the turn and always seems to come out with as much speed as it came in, which means of course you'll dig the rail for a new turn right away.

I think it's the combination of flex and the channels that produces some magic. I'm snaking my way up and down a head high wave turning left, right, bottom turning, cutting back and the board is like a Labrador puppy asking for more. The grip is excellent and very confidence inspiring so you try out lines you would not do on any other twintip; and it always carries speed so well you know you'll have the momentum to complete the maneuver. And it's all effortless, you really focus on enjoying the wave, let the kite drift in the air and the board is like on remote control. I've never seen a board do that before.

Flat water speed is good, jumps are easy with good take off / decent pop and reasonably soft landings. It's not a freestyle board, nor it tries to be.

Another standout is the low end, on one session I had to work to keep my 12m on the air but the board was comfortable and kept me upwind no problem as long as I was planing. I've been well powered on a 9m Rebel and it was very comfortable. I think 43/138 was perfect for my weight.

It handles chop very competently, many reviews mentioned that it makes the chop disappear, that was not my experience - definitely I could feel the 30cm chop but in an enjoyable way.

The Shinn blurb also says that it reduces fatigue and can be ridden for longer than other boards, that was not my experience (used to Speedball which is ridden 50/50 like a surfboard): it CAN be ridden 50/50 but I was stuffing the nose and pearling every 10 minutes or so. A comfortable 60/40 works just fine and if I'm trucking upwind I need 70/30 which is tiring for me.

But I agree with the Shinn blurb about no spray in the face ever in any conditions. That is true - very nice.

Oh and the rooster tail - very nice in the flats but cutbacks on top of waves are EPIC, throwing up 10ft of spray every time without even trying. I think it's the channels doing their thing again.

All in all this board exceeded my expectations in every way. AND IT HAS A FRIGGING GORILLA FACE ON THE BOTTOM!!!

[ Edit a few weeks later: I changed my footstrap position and now can go upwind with 60/40 weight distribution no issues)
Last edited by sarc on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author sarc for the post:
martrench (Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:22 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nahenshall
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ainsdale
Gear: Duatone Evo 8/10/12
Juice 15
2015 shin monk 137/44
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Review my Xmas stocking: Shinn Monk Chromatic 43

Postby nahenshall » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:29 pm

fab review , been waiting for someone to give the 2021 monk a honest review , i have been holding off purchasing as there isnt a-lot of user reviews .your is poss the first.Im 97 kg so will be looking at the the 140/44 , same as my older monk 137/44 2014 model . Thanks so much again time to upgrade the monk for me ,Cheers Neil :jump: :jump: :jump:

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:45 am

:thumb:

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:23 pm

Thanks for the write up.

I'm looking at the Monk Chromatic right now and I'm caught between getting the 140x44 and 138x43. Based on your description I think the 138x43 will be best - I'm 84Kg/185lb on average, riding more than 10 years.

I live in Ont, Canada and I ride fresh water, in-land lakes. We get a wide range of water and wind conditions, sometimes stable, sometimes gusty. I use 2 TT's currently to get the most range out of my kites. The larger is an ancient Best Spark 140x45(2009-2010?) and the smaller is a Cab Caliber 133x41 (2010). The smaller of the boards is fantastic in supremely over powered conditions so my 140 compliments that by covering the low end range of all my kites, 11-8-6. However the 140 has seen better days and needs replacing.

In the past I was only riding TT so having a large 140x45 was massively helpful to get the most out of my kites, especially when the wind dips. Since incorporating foiling into my routine, I find I only ride TT ≥18kn. Perhaps the 138x43 Monk is a better fit now that I'm into my 11th year of kiting?

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:35 am

Thanks for review - side question: Any recommendations for Shinn dealer in the US?

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:18 pm

sarc - thanks for posting this review!

I ended up getting a 134x41 Monk Chromatic (I'm 73 kg) after reading this post. Brilliant board and I'm really impressed with the low end also.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:52 am

martrench wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:35 am
Thanks for review - side question: Any recommendations for Shinn dealer in the US?
I don't live in the US but all major UK webstores stock Shinn and their shipping costs to overseas are reasonable. I buy all my stuff online and I consistently get better prices and service from the UK or Netherlands web stores than the US webstores (20% UK sales tax is automatically deducted from your shopping basket, but of course you may need to pay import duty on delivery depending where you live)
I have bought Shinn boards from Silent Sports web store in Canada in the past, but their shipping was not that cheap.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:01 pm

sarc wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:52 am
I have bought Shinn boards from Silent Sports web store in Canada in the past, but their shipping was not that cheap.
Dang, that's crazy. Silent Sports shipping isn't that great even living in Ontario.

I actually did end up buying the 138 Monk Chromatic from SS. Can't wait to try it!

Madraoulas
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Elafonissos-Peloponnese-Greece
Style: Freeride
Gear: Begginer-intermediate

Postby Madraoulas » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:34 am

Hallo sarc, nice review...I have Monk Mental 2019 135x42 was 87kg, now 80kg....if you know I would like to know the difference (in practice not in construction)between Monk Mental vs Monk Chromatic...thank you

Return to “Reviews”