Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone Juice D/Lab Review 2022

Postby Pana » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:31 pm

Nice review, complete and nuanced. I have not tried the D-lab and notice that several of the comments also apply to the kites of the other company using Aluula. Fly fast efficient at generating apparent wind with light bar pressure and offers a ‘premium’ for the experienced riders that maximise the advantage of those characteristics. Looking forward to the opportunity to try the D-lab. Would be nice to see a comparative with the Roam 14 & Flite 14.5. For sure large kite riding in real world conditions has evolved for the better.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:20 pm

Very nice review but the price is for people who have buttonless budge for their kite gear.
My guess is that DT with Aluula will be better than Ocean Rodeo simply because DT has more experience designing kites however OR has more experience with Aluula.

If I was going to get light wind machine I would still go for foil kite as it’s cheaper than D’lab but at same price LEI would be my choice.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:37 am

Yeah, an 18m Sonic or Chrono will out perform the DLAB when it comes to power, range, boosting and similar light bar pressure for less money. However, if you like to loop or have a launch that doesn’t work with foils or extremely long lulls with the kite on the water, or you are just afraid of foil kites (Pumpy) the DLAB may be your choice for light wind.

I don’t care for the design of the OR Flite or Roam, but I have to say that my initial rides on the OR Rise have been excellent.

white boy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 70
Local Beach: Half Moon Bay - Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia
Style: Directional Boards
Gear: RRD Ace (5'2") & RRD Barracuda (5'8") & Duotone Jamie TT. Duotone Spirt surf and Carve foils. Duotone Neo 9 & 11 SLS , Evo 12 SLS, Juice 14 DLAB

Postby white boy » Mon May 02, 2022 5:15 pm

DLAB, relaunch in light wind with a a 5th line has to be seen to be believed. It lives up to its hype, its phenomenally manoeuvrable for a big kite and I can loop it with ease to get going in light wind. When the wind is light and the foil guys are out on a 15m Soul, I am out with the DLAB 15m (I'm 65 kg) and an RRD Ace light wind fish and having a ball....

eddiemorgs
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby eddiemorgs » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:35 am

A good review !

I have the 13 dlab … 85 kts , experienced kiter from light wind location. I mostly foil and surfboard.

This is typical of how I felt about the dlab when I first got it … people would ask how it felt and was it worth it ?
My answer was always slightly withheld … as it felt I more to learn about its abilities.

Ive ridden it a lot now … , powerful but can dump power , amazing apparent , good speed , doesn’t hunt the widow , turning speed excellent , light even bar pressure.
I get the sense that DT have used all of their Best IP in this kite and I am still distilling out its abilities in comparison to my old 2018 juice which I loves flying but felt DT had not quite sorted it out yet.

On the foil , it’s ability to react when in slack line conditions is always surprising… it can pivot on very little bar pressure … you can loop it behind you in the window and not power up and over power … but if power is required it is there.

Settings were not mentioned … big difference between the 3 settings for foiling to tt and sb.

There are few new juices here …. Everyone is stoked with them. Is mine worth the extra ? Can’t be sure but as the reviewer says … the more experienced rider will see the difference.
I suspect that to be true due to my experience over the years with better materials and design.

I’m very happy with mine. It’s filled a big gap in my kiting. Particularly for foiling.

Cheers.
These users thanked the author eddiemorgs for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Reviews”