Flying the Flysurfer Titan Today!

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
eppo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flying the Flysurfer Titan Today!

Postby eppo » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:30 am

I will be taking the a prototype Titan out today in 18-23 knots, I'll let you guys know what I think!

Cheers

eppo

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:49 am

what time, what beach.

might have to come and jump all over ya. :D ..

shane

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:28 am

Eppo,
We want
wind speed & range
kite size
board size & rider weight

Look forward to the verdict

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:21 am

eppo - where's your review?

eppo
Medium Poster

Titan Review

Postby eppo » Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:11 am

Look I was only out in 15 knots or so on a 9.5m, on the river - with a fair few holes in the wind so please tke this into consideration. I want to have a go in stronger winds before I make up my mind.

Okay: 76kg / 158cm Airush Fusion Mutant / 12-15 knots

Kites owned : New wave / EX / Mach one (f1) / Arcs 840 and 1120 / Warrior (7m, 9.5, and 16.5m) / Airush Lift 15.5m

Windrange: Was still going upwind in these conditions - some great bottom end to this kite - much better than the pyscho, on par or less than the warrior.

Jumping: Still okay in these conditions, Vertical and good hangtime like the pyscho, but you need to fly it further over your shoulder - but not nearly as much as the warrior. I would say it doesn't have the boost potential of the pyscho, but the pyscho is a crazy kite :D

Power response: Quite instantaneuos - suprisingly so, which makes jumping easier. Very similar feel to an LEI in this way, with more grunt on the power stroke than a LEI.

Turning: Well I was in light winds so take this with grain of salt, For those who say you can sine this like an LEI I say I doubt it very much (But in higher winds who knows), extropolating from the conditions I was in I would say it doesn't turn all that much better than the pyscho and still stalls on the turns - need to depower, pump the bar and all that crap. Also the slow turning gives you limited correction ability when trying tricks/transitions/ hands off and all that jazz. I would say this kite turns as slow or probably slower than my 15.5m Airush lift. This is still the kites main drawback - I still don't think flysurfer are listening to us warrior fliers who want to go big. For a kite that feels very similar to an LEI, but with a much better power delivery as per most foils, the lack of turning will stop people getting this kite - But again I was in light winds, and this may all change in twenty plus knots.

Stability: This is easy the most stable kite I have ever flown, I completed some damn awful jibes on the gusty river (I hate the river and always go ocean if I can, but the flat water is good for trialing kites), and i could not put it on the water. I also tried some real hazy back and forward transitions onto my toes and could not drop this kite - very good feature.

FLYSURFER NOW LISTEN! PRODUCE A KITE THAT TURNS AS QUICK AS AN LEI WITH THE JUMPING ABILITY OF THE PYSCHO AND YOU WILL DOMINATE THE KITE MARKET WITHIN A YEAR OR TWO. STOP PRODUCING THESE IN BETWEEN KITES.

Cheers

eppo

shunter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby shunter » Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:23 am

I have a theory why the likes of the Flysurfers and Arcs turn slow in the bigger sizes and thats because they hold a big amount of air in the foil. And you have got to mobilise this mass of air to get the things to turn. any comments?

In the smaller sizes of the GArcks and SArcks this is not too much of a problem but the 15G turns slow not real slow but still slow enough that you want it to turn quicker. the 13 turns ok...

With a LEi you dont have to change the direction of the mass of air any air thats mobilsed with the kite is left behind in the turns. you also dont have as much air been punted around..

who knows just a laymans guess

shane

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:21 am

I Know for a fact that my 12.5 Psycho has more power than my 17m lei, so you cannot compare it to the turning speed to a 12.5 lie can you!! You also have to take into consideration where the flying lines are attached to the kite. How can you say a kite that isn't attached by its wing tips reason for slow turning is bad aerodynamics? :wink:

Ted B.
Medium Poster

Postby Ted B. » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:30 am

Eppo please remember that you are flying a proto Type and the serial Titans may fly completely different.I have also been Flying a Titan 9.5 proto type and the kite turns super fast,I had to cut the bar down to 17inches so I wouldn,t kill my self.The kite is also super stable and jumps really good.The 1st day I flew the Titan it was 15-30 and super gusty and the kite handled perfectly it never folded or over flew in any way.The second time I flew it it was 25-30knts and overhead waves the Titan rules in the surf I have never flown a better kite in the waves.I have also had the kite out in 15 knts but I weigh 100 kilos and ride a 140cm board I was able to jump and stay up wind no problem,But I like to ride powered so I would prefer the kite at around 20knts and up!!!!!!Keep flying it ,I enjoy mine more every time i take it out....Ted B.

eppo
Medium Poster

Postby eppo » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:40 am

Yeh as I said I will wait for some higher winds before I make up my mind - you say it turns fast - compared to what?? Because doesn't turn as fast as my 15.5m LEI Airush Lift, no way in the world - but again higher winds!

cheers

eppo

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:09 am

Hi,
just came back from france, where I could test the titan 9,5.
Actually he turns faster than the warrior 9,3 with the original setup.
But he turns slower than a warrior 9,3 with the wac-setup.
This is no disadvantage, as usually the kite is used in high winds.
I used the titan in winds from 5Bft on with a 140cm wakeboard and my 80kg.
No pumping or whatever needed to turn or sine the kite in its real windrange.
Even at 3Bft on the beach the handling is easy and does not require great skills.
Real great jumping and soft landings.
Easy launching alone in 6Bft.
Have fun,
Thisl

Return to “Reviews”