2011 Cabrinha IDS, a safety issue???

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
recreationman
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

2011 Cabrinha IDS, a safety issue???

Postby recreationman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:50 pm

I have a 2011 Crossbow and IDS bar. My local shop tells me that the new Cabrinha bars are way more safer than my 2011 IDS bar. Reason being that the IDS release is merely a "tether" and the kite will not fully depower. So they tell me my Crossbow will not be compatible with the new bars as the front lines are different length than the back lines. Thought? Comments?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: 2011 Cabrinha IDS, a safety issue???

Postby matth » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Not sure about the line length on new bars, they are even as far as I know. I do agree the old IDS bar and flag system did not fully de-power, and it could be a little unnerving if you punched out and started to get dragged in powered conditions. It was a two line flag system with a special bridal that would roll the kite onto its back in a de-powered position(not a true flag position). They worked well most of the time and kept things neat and tidy but the kite would not always roll over onto it's back. The trick was to release tension on the center lines buy swimming at the kite or by pulling in kite with center lines a few feet then releasing. Both would do the trick but are not something you want to deal with in a flag out situation. Single flags and 5th line flags kill the power instantly with little to no pull. I don't see why a single line flag bar would not work with the 2011 Contra...
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
recreationman (Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:06 am

Firstly, I am just a general kiter and have no affiliations with the industry.
There is no doubt that since the 2011 Cabrinha gear was launched mid 2010, (and development was probably 2009 technology), that is over 8/9 years ago, there has been significant improvements in the Cabrinha bars with technology and performance. I have owned and used 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 bars. My 2012 bars onwards were very safe. My current 2017 and 2018 bars are light, not complicated and safe. My advice would be to upgrade your old gear as the kiting technology improves. Keep safe.
These users thanked the author dejavu for the post:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 am

That control bar is called a "mini-5th" and depends on the bridle to depower the kite. Modern kites flag out the kite on a single center line. Will it work for your kite? Test it on a light wind day, see how well it works. Because it depends on the bridle for depower it doesn't work with all kites, nor all model years. Modern control bars are all single center line flagging. If the line lengths are different you can just add leaders to the kite to fix the problem so the kite works with modern control bars. In order to find out how much leader you need to add take your old control bar and fix the kite end of the lines to a post. Pull the trim all the way out so there's no trim and then pull on the bar so the chicken loop is all the way against the bar. Figure out the length of line difference between the rears and the center lines and then make some leaders, and then attach those to your kite. You'll want them on there permanently. Now you can use equal length line control bars. Or keep your old control bar up to you. Test it first tho to see if you like it or not.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:

Return to “Safety”