Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hurghada Egypt Sucks

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
xfact
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hurghada Egypt Sucks

Postby xfact » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:42 am

Been to EG more than 8 times. In the past to El Gouna, but lately in Soma Bay only. All trips for a week. Usually end of spring (mid-end of April). Changed a few hotels until I find the perfect location. Deep for foiling, flat for freestyle and boosting. Hurghada sucks with all the crowded resorts. So as Toby said, this forum is very useful for planning such stays, especially if it is longer as yin your case (I envy you a bit here :) )
Anyway, Soma Bay. That is the only spot for me, and wind are good in spring/summer. For OCT-MAR, not really. NOV, well want to go to Brazil. :) My 2C.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:40 am

xfact wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:42 am
Been to EG more than 8 times. In the past to El Gouna, but lately in Soma Bay only. All trips for a week. Usually end of spring (mid-end of April). Changed a few hotels until I find the perfect location. Deep for foiling, flat for freestyle and boosting. Hurghada sucks with all the crowded resorts. So as Toby said, this forum is very useful for planning such stays, especially if it is longer as yin your case (I envy you a bit here :) )
Anyway, Soma Bay. That is the only spot for me, and wind are good in spring/summer. For OCT-MAR, not really. NOV, well want to go to Brazil. :) My 2C.
What's your favor hotel in Soma bay? I stayed once in Sentido Palm Royale which was okay but overpriced a bit, if this wasn't for a kitespot probably none stayed there or they would have to improve quality/price ratio. Almost everyone we spoke in hotel came with someone who kite/windsurfed.
I went there last week of Oct and first Nov last week last year and it was great. 5 days of 40+kts, no students allowed on water, 2 days wind was shit, should bring foil.
Good thing about going there in autumn is that water is very warm yet sun doesn't burn as much in spring, only used sun screen for first few days and later didn't bothered.

xfact
Rare Poster

Postby xfact » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:54 am

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:40 am
xfact wrote:
What's your favor hotel in Soma bay? I stayed once in Sentido Palm Royale which was okay but overpriced a bit, if this wasn't for a kitespot probably none stayed there or they would have to improve quality/price ratio. Almost everyone we spoke in hotel came with someone who kite/windsurfed.
I went there last week of Oct and first Nov last week last year and it was great. 5 days of 40+kts, no students allowed on water, 2 days wind was shit, should bring foil.
Good thing about going there in autumn is that water is very warm yet sun doesn't burn as much in spring, only used sun screen for first few days and later didn't bothered.
Well, thats it. All in One. Shallow, flat, deep for foiling. Hotel and food is OK for me. Stayed in Movenpick two times, but it is too far away from the non broken wind by the palms of Palm Royale. Had to ride by boat. Or walk. Basically staying in Palm Royale, lets you have access to the whole bay.
We have a tourist agency here, that buys out a god number of rooms and price is fair. me, wife and daughter + flight in all inclusive around 1800 euros.

tanre
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, CT
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park, FL
Style: freestyle
Gear: Best, Core, LF
Has thanked: 0

Postby tanre » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:41 pm

xfact wrote:
We spent time up and down he entire coast. The German owned Kite school in Soma Bay charges 3 times for a beer than in Hurghada. Soma Bay hotels are nice, but again...NOT a kite spot. Only for short term vacationers willing to pay $$.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:25 pm

7 Bft? German run, Egyptian owned.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Aleza (Wed May 10, 2023 9:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

xfact
Rare Poster

Postby xfact » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:43 pm

tanre wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:41 pm

We spent time up and down he entire coast. The German owned Kite school in Soma Bay charges 3 times for a beer than in Hurghada. Soma Bay hotels are nice, but again...NOT a kite spot. Only for short term vacationers willing to pay $$.

What would be the perfect hotel/spot according to you?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:13 pm

The thing is, that Soma Bay gets wind when others of the area won't, like Hurghada or El Gouna. So if you are in El Gouna with no wind, share a ride with some people and go there in the morning for a session.

finchtime
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 88
Local Beach: UK South Coast
Gear: Switchblades 12/9/7
Shinn Ronson 141/42
Been thanked: 0

Postby finchtime » Wed May 10, 2023 11:59 am

I'm heading to Egypt end of September / beginning of October. No hotel booked, only return flight to Hurghada.

Going with my non-kiting wife. We're thinking of Soma Bay staying in the Kempinski, next to 7 Bft KiteHouse.

Any other recommendations?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed May 10, 2023 12:24 pm

good time to go, wind should be excellent.

Kempinski is really nice, but not really "animated". The Robinson Club next to it is way more fun, specially for non kiters. It is a German Club, but all speak English...good fitness program and courses, fun animation, amazing food. Not cheap though. For all hotels in Soma Bay you need to take the shuttle...you will hate it after a while because mid day it does not go and you are stuck...
If you stay at Kempinsiki, make friend with a kiter from Robinson guest, and grab a drink there at night, they have fun parties.

El Gouna you need transportation as well (not all place, but most). But a tuktuk is normally fast to get at any time. El Gouna in general is more animated, with a village to go to.

Let us know where you went and why at the end.

have a great trip!

Partydk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: Sweden - Malmö, Lomma(Habo Ljung)
Denmark - Lynæs
Favorite Beaches: Sweden - Malmö, Lomma(Habo Ljung)
- Väg 100
- LA (Lundåkra)

Denmark - Lynæs
Style: Jumps and freestyle,
Gear: Eleveight RS - XS Series
North Reach and Orbit series
Boards - Eleveight Master C+
- North Atmos Carbon
- Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight, North Kiteboarding, Mystic, Ride engine.mm
Has thanked: 0

Postby Partydk » Wed May 10, 2023 12:24 pm

I can recommend that you try Makani beach club in Elgouna.

Best regards
Kent Ellegaard
Team Eleveight (Woo World)

Kitesurf Amager - windsurfing kurser - Kite skole - sup kurser - kiteskole

Return to “Travel”