Favorite Beaches: Pismo Beach, California
Style: All
Gear: All
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

St. Croix

Postby XtremeBigAir.com » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:20 pm

Been searching for info about kiting in St.Croix but found very limited information. What is the best month to kite there? Is kiting friendly there with big beaches?
I have been to St. Thomas, St. Vincent and these 2 islands sucks for kiting!

michaelb1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Outer Banks, NC
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Moto, Cabrinha Contra. North Wam directional. Spleen Session TT. Shinn Bronq TT.

Re: St. Croix

Postby michaelb1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:12 am

St Croix kitesuring info is like a black hole on the internet. I can't find anything useful and yet I know there has to be good spots there. The winds blow from the east just like its neighbors to the north, BVI and Dominican Republic.
Why is there no good info about kiting in St Croix?!?!?!?

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:31 am

I’m in the BVI right now. I assume the wind in St. Croix is about the same but I don’t know the spots. I’d sail over and check it out but then I can’t come back here because of quarantine rules. It’s been windy lately, though.

rjkritzer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lakes Bay
Favorite Beaches: OBX, TCI, Jersey Shore, St. Croix
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kitelement split board, Cabrinha SB (6, 9, 12) Contra 15m. LF Impulse Foil, Clouds

Postby rjkritzer » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Just stumbled across this topic and I'll add my experiences. I have been to St. Croix twice for kiting and it was great both times.

I was there in March 2014 and February 2021. In 2014 I had my first lessons and learned to kite with Leading Edge Kite school. It was a great place to learn kiting, and also have a lovely vacation. St. Croix is not overrun with tourist and has a very laid back island vibe. A hike to the tidal pools is well worth the effort but be prepared for a pretty strenuous outing!

I think the strongest winds are December - March. The February trip had amazing wind and I kited everyday on 9 and 12m kites. I will definitely plan on a January/February trip in the future for best wind chances.

On this 2021 trip I did supervised rides with Leading Edge Kite school since I was kiting solo. I happily kited on both the north and south sides of the island due to changes in wind direction, and the water was beautiful on both sides - colorful, crystal clear and very little seaweed. Both areas were protected by reefs so the water was flat, but out by the reef there were small waves to play around in. I didn't venture outside the reef. I'm sure wave riders could find suitable waves somewhere on the island, but I was only interested in flat water. There was also some foiling going on but the water is not super deep in either of the 2 locations where I kited. On the north side I kited at Breezez Resort area and there were a few other kiters. On the south side I kited toward the east-end, before the Divi resort.

I have kited on several other Caribbean islands but liked St. Croix enough that I will go back for a 3rd time. That said, each place also provides its own wonderful experience too - depends on what you like personally, but there are definitely good kiting options on St. Croix.

Return to “Travel”