seand
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

St Lucia in March

Postby seand » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:48 am

Hi,

I'm looking for somewhere to stay in St Lucia for a week in March. I'd like to be close to the kite beach, and she'd like a comfortable hotel to relax in ! We looked at the Coconut Bay Beach Resort but saw some mixed reviews about it. Has anyone been there ? Or suggest somewhere else to stay in Vieux Fort.

Are there any other good spots for kiting on the island ?

Many thanks

Oclatworthy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cas En Bas, St Lucia
Favorite Beaches: Uk Beaches: South Coast - Poole Harbour, Southbourne, Lancing, Shoreham, Hove.
Caribbean: St Lucia - Cas En Bas, Veux Fort, Grand Anse.
Style: Freestyle, Unhooked, Big Air, Board Offs
Gear: Epic Screamers 7,9,10,12,14, Epic Renegades 6,9,11, Cabrinha Custom 133 LF Bindings, Cabrinha Thruster 6.1
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites Team Rider

Re: St Lucia in March

Postby Oclatworthy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:05 am

Hi

There are 3 spots on the island. You can see all of these here http://www.kitesurfbeaches.com/?Level=st-lucia You can read all about the local facilities, accommodation and beach info.

I'm currently out here so if you get stuck please PM me!

Cheers Olly

juhanile
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Laulasmaa, Estonia
Favorite Beaches: Nabq bay, Sharm el Sheikh
Style: freeride
Gear: North Evo 2009 12m

Postby juhanile » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi,

I would recommend Caribbean Dream, preferrably in a separate house (which is, of couse, a bit more expensive that a room in the main building). We spent there a week in the main building and were quite pleased. It is a 10 minute taxi drive to the beach (the Reef).

Out of the 3 places, we tried out both the Reef and Cas en Bas in the north, and liked the Reef more for its lively atmosphere and stronger winds. However, be prepared for choppy waters! The third place, 2 Elements, is not far from the Reef, and the water is much flatter there.

Have fun!

seand
Rare Poster

Postby seand » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:05 am

Thank you very much for your suggestions but it now looks like it's easier for me to get to Barbados and I think the conditions around the Silver Sands area look similar for wind. I'll let you know once I've been.

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:42 pm

March is time for the st lucia kite fiesta.
well worth checking out .. 12 / 13 th march
all the info on the spots you will find on www.kitesurfbeaches.com
There is some great kiting to be had.

islandbound
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Postby islandbound » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:05 pm

We just returned from 10 days in St Lucia, riding at both the Reef and 2 Elements. The staff and owners of both establishments are outstanding. The Reef offers a nice bar restaurant and very nice feel. The kitestoke is greater at 2 elements, the water in front of 2 elements has much more to offer as you can ride upwind for miles, the bay just up from the 2 element center offers a nice section of flat water, caution must be used when going out over the coral and reef but it offers some nice breaking waves and larger rolling waves once you ride past, the water conditions directly in from of 2 elements can be choppy. The Reef center has no coral or reef and can be choppy to smooth chop depending on wind direcection, it all seems the same and doesnt offer the varied water conditions. The Reef can direct you to a small hotel up on the hill that we heard was very nice for the price and offered breakfast as well. Coconut bay seemed nice but spendy, to spendy for us to stay at. In comparing ST lucia to Barbados you will find the water conditions very different, Barbados will appeal more to the wave riders as it offers nice breaking waves, but can be a tough shorebreak for the less advanced riders. ALso it has shorter beach and more limited riding area if you are not wanting to ride out past the breaking waves or in the waves. We enjoyed the nightlife much more in Barbados, much more varied culture in Barbados as well. We love both places for different reasons. ST lucia is hard to top for kiteboarding varied conditions with unlimited beaches upwind of 2 elements - enjoy!

Return to “Travel”