Gear: airush
cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Central/South America in March to June

Postby krebsouille » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:12 am

Hi everyone !

I'm planning a trip to Central/south America from March to June .

I'm starting by Costa Rica, I think Bahia Salinas is the best spot for what I've read.
Any recommendation for budget accomodation? Or any contact for good schools ? Good people over there?

Then I was thinking about Peru and...no more ideas.

so if anyone has experience, tips on location, spots, accomodations...will be helpful ! :)

I'm a girl, I'm travelling by myself. I'm an independant kiter (can go upwind and can do basic jumps) and have my own gear but I'm don't have a lot of experience. But I'm completely fond of this sport and sooo motivated !!!

I'm currently in Vietnam, do you have any recommendation about airlines compagnies? Cause I've been in Philippines with Philippines Airlines and it was a f....mess with by boardbag !!! Don't want to have this experience again. :evil:

Cheers ! :D

zact
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Manly, Queensland
Style: Kook
Gear: Naish Cult '08 - 9 and 12

Re: Central/South America in March to June

Postby zact » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:46 pm

If you head to Peru, Mancora is my recommendation. I went there a couple of years ago, and am thinking about heading back again this year. I loved it. Not sure that Peru is really what you're after though. For me, the drawcard was the waves. There was plenty of flat-water kiting, too. But there are better flat-water spots if that is what you are looking for. The water is cool, but go any further South and it becomes cold very quickly.

Alex from Wild-K is probably the main kite tour guide in town, but I didn't have a good experience with him. If you do head that way, PM me and I'll put you in touch with Freddy, a really cool and helpful Venezuelan dude that is setting up tours there.

If you're on a budget, I'd highly recommend Casa Naranja for good quality, cheap accommodation. Not super close to the beach, but very comfortable and great people. They really make you feel like part of the family.

I loved Mancora, but, to me, it sounds like you'll have more fun a bit further North where the water is warmer. No point freezing if the waves aren't your thing. Maybe Ecuador?

krebsouille
Rare Poster
Local Beach: south beach WA
cabrinha

Postby krebsouille » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:56 am

hey, thanks for all the tips, really useful.

I've seen that Mancora is good, I like waves :wink: ...I just didn't want to focus JUST on the waves, that 's why I'm planning Costa Rica before...

cheers :)

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:24 pm

I just returned from my first visit to Bahia Salinas and kited at Playa Copal daily. This trip was made without any preplanning but from what I've learned since is that Nov-April is their windy season...yet I believe they have wind year round.

In my opinion, not the top of my list as a location to learn; but since you're an experienced rider - you will love it. Rented a house from Bob...Facebook search "Cometa Copal" and send him a message. Yet google search the "Kitehouse Playa Copal" or "Blue Dreams Kiteboarding Bahia Salinas". Everyone I've mentioned offer lessons/rentals/etc.

The beach is under high-tide from 6pm-9am...after 9am the tide goes out and a few sand-bars appear in the bay...not exactly butter conditions behind those yet better than the chop off the beach.

I loved it there and it was one of the most affordable kite-trips I have ever taken...Great food, great kiting, great people.

Seaplus (Tim)

zact
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Manly, Queensland
Style: Kook
Gear: Naish Cult '08 - 9 and 12

Postby zact » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:37 am

If you do like waves, but don't want just waves, then Mancora is a good option. I was there for a couple of months and only saw waves for probably less than a dozen days. Apparently this was a particularly bad season and isn't normal. The waves I did see where awesome, though. And even if you get a season with heaps of swell, there's still a good flat-water beach nearby at Los Organos.

The best of the waves are further south at Lobitos. It is a couple of hours away by public transport and you'll probably need Spanish. If you want to get down there, Wild-K is probably your best option (although I didn't like his service) or possibly Freddy, if he is set up for tours. Or to go down and stay for a few days or longer. There's not a lot down there, except the waves, so you probably only want to do that if the forecast is good. Not that there is THAT much in Mancora either.....

The water is cold. The wind is fairly off-shore and gusty. But the waves are magic... when they come in.

superpedro
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo beach
Style: Crappy
Gear: Wainman kites
North select
Slingshot celeritas

Postby superpedro » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:18 pm

+1 to mancora I was there last summer, in theory that's not the best season for waves but I was lucky/unlucky cause it was huge! They even have a big wave contest in lima... Anyhow I had a blast but it was really scary big for my skills! So no way I would have gone out if it wasn't for Alex from wild k... We did a downwinder from los organos to mancora i was a bit over power at times with my 9m and on a twin tip ( I chicken out going out strapless cause the swell )then we went to an awesome spot near lobitos... Beautiful huge swell .... And I have it all on my own! I wish I was better at strapless so I did have a session on my twintip and then man up and switch to my strapless flying my 7m. Bottom line is that I'm going again for 4th of July and will hook up wit Alex at wild k cause... The place is perfect surf in the morning kite after lunch everyday!

krebsouille
Rare Poster
Local Beach: south beach WA
cabrinha

Postby krebsouille » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:32 am

Thank you guys for all the tips I love the kite community :)

I will start by Bahia Salinas and probably head to Mancora afterwards

Cheers !

Return to “Travel”