Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Windward Islands in June - What Kite Sizes?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
snmhanson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The gorge
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windward Islands in June - What Kite Sizes?

Postby snmhanson » Sat May 07, 2016 12:35 am

We are starting to get organized for a trip we are taking to Antigua and St. Martin this June. I asked a while ago here a bit about the trip, but I am still having difficulty deciding which size kites to pack. Part of the problem is that I need to pack gear for my son and myself. He is 125 lbs and I am about 190 lbs. And I need to fit kites, two boards, pump and harnesses into one bag. I've read that winds are generally light to moderate that time of the year, but last year in the BVIs during the same time we saw several days of 20 mph winds too (we weren't kiting on that trip though). In any case, our kite sizes are 6, 8, 10 and 12. If we can fit three kites I'll pack the 8,10 and 12, but what if I can only fit two? Should I go with 8-12 or 10-12 in order to maximize both his and my time on the water? Our boards are just all-around wake style and we don't have a light wind board, but we could possibly borrow one if necessary. Any help or advice from people familiar with this area (especially at this time of the year) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SpunMonkey
Medium Poster
Style: Directionals, foils, and sailing
Gear: Foils, underwater and in the air

Re: Windward Islands in June - What Kite Sizes?

Postby SpunMonkey » Sat May 07, 2016 1:48 am

Reach out to the crew at 40 knots in Antigua. They're one of the best outfits in the Caribbean and can sort out whatever help you need planning or kiting while there. As the Azores high starts moving north the direction of breeze becomes more random- so spots you can't normally kite in the winter can be possible.

snmhanson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The gorge
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Re: Windward Islands in June - What Kite Sizes?

Postby snmhanson » Tue May 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks for the reply SpunMonkey. I reached out to 40 Knots and Max got me squared away as far as sizes to bring. Looking forward to get some tropical kiting in.

Return to “Travel”