Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Headed to Lake Erie this weekend

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Headed to Lake Erie this weekend

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:26 pm

Hey guys, heading up to the Angola, NY area and want to connect with someone who kites on Erie near Hamburg or Bennett's beach who can point me in the right direction and give me some guidance. I have a 9/11/15m quiver and will bring my foil and twintip with me.

Any advice on best spots to launch or what to look out for? My 11 and 15 are both foil kites, so if there's a preferred beach that has lots of launch/land area, that'd be ideal.

-Tim

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Headed to Lake Erie this weekend

Postby salvino » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Hey that's my local area so here's the info. Hamburg is experienced and up wind only place. You must rig, launch and ride on the upwind part of beach. There is a culvert which divides the kiter area from public town beach. Down there is a swim zone that is sooooo off limits. The people are quite ornery so local kiters are very strict.
2 miles to East is Woodlawn state park which is huge beach with easy spots to launch and ride with no hassles. Also all sand bottom there. Hamburg is hard shale rock. Waves are better at Woodlawn. Park fee is about 8$. Hamburg will be 20$ parking ticket unless town resident.
Bennett beach is nice and sandy as well and closer to Angola.
Water is warm now so no rubber needed. I'll be back up there at end of weekend and have been foiling just this season. Hope to see another foiler around!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Headed to Lake Erie this weekend

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:02 pm

salvino wrote:Hey that's my local area so here's the info. Hamburg is experienced and up wind only place. You must rig, launch and ride on the upwind part of beach. There is a culvert which divides the kiter area from public town beach. Down there is a swim zone that is sooooo off limits. The people are quite ornery so local kiters are very strict.
2 miles to East is Woodlawn state park which is huge beach with easy spots to launch and ride with no hassles. Also all sand bottom there. Hamburg is hard shale rock. Waves are better at Woodlawn. Park fee is about 8$. Hamburg will be 20$ parking ticket unless town resident.
Bennett beach is nice and sandy as well and closer to Angola.
Water is warm now so no rubber needed. I'll be back up there at end of weekend and have been foiling just this season. Hope to see another foiler around!

Thanks! Which is the best spot to launch/recover a foil kite from? Ideally there'd be a nice wide sandy beach with nothing sharp or pokey sticking out since I generally self-launch and land from the side of the wind window. I wouldn't call myself 'expert' but am fully competent on the foil, so would you say Hamburg is off limits? Being able to rip upwind might make it an ideal spot for foiling.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None