Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thailand: Hua Hin vs Rawai (Phuket)

Postby mariamaria_anna » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Hey guys,

I need an advice regarding two kite spots in Thailand - Hua Hin vs Rawai (Phuket).

The thing is, I am going to move for a couple of months (most probably 6 to 8 months) to one of these places, but I have to decide to which one. I have read a lot of posts comparing both places, but I still feel a bit lost. So far I have come across the information that Hua Hin is less touristic and cheaper compared to Phuket, but on the other hand Phuket has more beautiful beaches and it is easy / fast to access them.
However, from some photos and videos I have an impression that Phuket (I would be going to Rawai or Friendship beach which is at the south end of Phuket) is more more chill and beach lifestyle, with nice bars just by the beach, but the beach at Hua Hin seems surrounded by rather big hotels.

I have not found a good comparison regarding kiteboarding conditions, but seems that in Phuket most popular kites are bigger ones, for example 14 m2.

Do you have any experience with these locations?
Which one would you suggest for a "longer"' trip?

Thanks in advance! :)

Anna

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thailand: Hua Hin vs Rawai (Phuket)

Postby mikewang » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:13 am

Phuket is a tourist town, dirty, very run-down, dirty (again, air pollution, traffic, litter). All tourists at beaches. Food not good. It all depends on your standards. It's not a water sport place. There's no beach culture because the locals don't frequent the beach. There can only be beach culture driven by locals. If 90% of the tourists come from places where there is no warm beach, they can't really just suddenly appear on a warm beach and have a beach culture.

I can understand the budget advantages of being a tourist in SE Asia, but very difficult to assimilate into the local culture. You will feel like an outsider. Most people go there because it's dirt cheap and sunny.

I been all over Phuket, not one memorable place. Locals cannot speak English. You can get by learning Thai or broken english, but cannot make connections with local culture.

Try Ubud in Bali, one of the most beautiful places I've been with good surf (no kiting).

Try Maui if you're serious.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 am

If u want some wind go hua hin ..phuket some wind only in summer monsoon...

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:40 pm

If you prefer more quiet place, I would go to pranburi close to hua hin. The same wind.
I have been to Phuket but I didn't go kiting. Won't go again there :) It's overcrowded

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:38 pm

I just came from spending 3 weeks in Phuket and I absolutely loved it. I stayed at the Friendship beach resort which is right on the beach for 45 USD. There’s a kite center right next door but I was on the wrong side of the island for the season. Good thing about the island is there’s a beach for every direction of wind and if you want to get around yourself I’d recommend renting a scooter with a side car to carry your gear. Rawai is pretty close to where I was at and I preferred the south part of the island because it’s auieter and really laid back. Easy to get to Patong if you want the crazy night life or bar scene. If you hydrofoil, you’ll be able to kite almost everyday and I thought the people were really friendly everywhere. I would absolutely go again and hopefully will this spring. PM if you have any specific questions.

=Jason-

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:23 am

Phuket is a lot bigger than Hua Hin so you need to understand where you stay oh Phuket will greatly influence what you think of it. There are some great beaches and you get the option to surf. Patong is a bit crazy but can be a lot of fun, still lots of sex tourism but no where near as bad as Pattaya. If you want to hang out in a English/Irish pub with other ex-pats Patong is hard to beat.

Hua Hin has much better wind and the option of the cable park and water park for non-windy days.

In Phuket you'll need a scooter, in Hua Hin you can get by walking for the most part.

ARK
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby ARK » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 am

What months will you be there? But Hua Hin is a way better kite option... if anyone says Phuket is better place to kite then they have zero idea .....FACT

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 am

jyka wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:40 pm
If you prefer more quiet place, I would go to pranburi close to hua hin. The same wind.
I have been to Phuket but I didn't go kiting. Won't go again there :) It's overcrowded
Totally agree, I spent 4 months in Pranburi/Pak nam pran. Better wind than in Hua Hin. Empty beaches, lots of space, very nice food and people. Hua Hin is 30 minutes ride away. Two seasons, Nov-Jan morning north wind usually gusty 10-20 knots. Second season March - May south wind, thermal afternoon, stable, around 15 knots. Bring your biggest kite, you will have lots of light wind days. For 80 kg rider 15 and 10 M kites if you are on twintip.

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 am

I Will go to Thailand in december. 12dec-3jan. Is hua hin good option? Or Phuket?

ARK
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby ARK » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:24 am

kiteswede wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 am
I Will go to Thailand in december. 12dec-3jan. Is hua hin good option? Or Phuket?
Hua Hin, although Hua Hin is at its best in feb.

Return to “Travel”