Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Miami in Oct and Nov

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:41 am

beebad wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:44 pm
I was there last winter and i think you have to have an IKO card and i think some kind of liability insurance for Crandon...29th street i guess i met some really nice kiters....really groovy folks and a happening scene. I think they all wanted you to have an IKO card so you dont ruin it for everyone.
Not sure why’d I need a iko for outside Crandon. Been kiting for a decade so no newb, we shall see how it goes this weekend I guess.

gonexrt
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 65
Gear: XRT
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gonexrt » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:33 am

I always check with a locals before riding anyplace new to me. Looking to find the locals.. vidmate save insta
Last edited by gonexrt on Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:22 pm

To ride in Miami Beach, one must register with the city and use a streamer (and must prove Level III riding through PASA/IKO card). There are lots of restrictions because the beaches are full of people. You can also kite in Miami at Crandon Park and Matheson Hammock Park. Both require Level III certification and some fees. North of Miami Beach on the beaches, you should talk to locals to better understand the risks and their local rules. If it's windy and you don't see any kiters, chances are that it's not allowed.

As others have stated, please talk to local people to ensure that the rules are followed. We have struggled in Miami with a very large numbers of careless transient and tourist riders over the years that have greatly contributed to the restricted access, but it all seems to be working quite well now. We welcome all that follow the rules.

October is super hit or miss and still storm season. November should have cold front wind from the NE and might require a shorty if you hate anything remotely luke warm or cold (I am like this). There are no permitted nor feasible launches between 235 and 0 degree wind directions. We get super butter flat water through maybe head high surf and 15-20 knots normally, but occasionally a bit more. It all depends on the spot. The FL Keys are a close drive and offer more options as are places like Marco Island on the west coast during a NW wind. Your foil is going to be an essential piece of gear to get you on the water during all of your days off.

Todd

Return to “Travel”