Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cape Town in november

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Rigodon
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Riumar, Estany Gelat
Favorite Beaches: Quebramar (Paracuru), Taiba, Le Morne, Woodmans Point WA, Coronation Beach WA
Style: Wakestyle and waves
Gear: Duotone Dice SLS 2023 8m, 10m, 12m. Dice 2022 6m. Duotone Team Series 2022 (with boots, of course) and custom surfboard H. Maker
Brand Affiliation: None

Cape Town in november

Postby Rigodon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi!
I'm planning a Kite trip to Cape Town.
I know that the season starts in December. But, I wonder whether november would be a good month as well.
Has anyone been in november in Cape Town for kitesurfing? Is it a good month as well? or are we at high risk to not have wind enough?

Thanks a lot!

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cape Town in november

Postby North_Wind » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:44 am

Hi there -

The wind in Cape Town is different to Brasil because the season doesn't "start" or "end" suddenly, it just gradually gets windier and windier (starting in September) and then at the end of the season less and less windy (April … May). Then in winter we get storms (windy for a couple of days then nothing).

November is definitely windy maybe a little bit less than Jan/Feb but still pretty good. Plus it is less busy ... it gets quite busy here from 27 December to end of the first week in February, each year.

Thinking about it I think "the year" makes more difference than "the month". This year has been a bit less windy than 2017/2018.

If you like a fun vibe but a bit less competition for space on the water then November to mid December or February 8/9th onwards are great times to visit.

November is also better value ... flights are cheaper, car rental is cheaper. And our own lodge (Cape Town Kite Club) offer early season specials/discounts as well.

Here are some wind statistics. The actual totals are a bit misleading since the wind is compressed into the afternoon most days but the averages are calculated over a longer period, but focus instead on the relative amounts of wind each month. It gives you a good idea.

Statistics for "Big Bay"

https://www.windfinder.com/windstatistics/big_bay

Statistics for "kitebeach"

https://www.windfinder.com/windstatistics/kitebeach

Any other questions let me know.

BA
Cape Town Kite Club
Last edited by North_Wind on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:06 am

I have a friend living here,two years ago they had strong winds nearly every day in november ,not so much last year .very few in the water .
We are in vacation here in cpt .....too many,so many everywhere specially during red bull .cannot say but maybe thousand all over the bay.it is fun anycase , twintip and yumping is no problem.catching the wave there is a queue and regulations ...attention is needed.
Up to your preference and expetation .

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:49 pm

piccio wrote:catching the wave there is a queue and regulations
Cape Town is in my travel list as a goofy wave rider. How bad are the queues? Are there not other breaks without crowds if you ride or drive a bit?

kaioe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: capetown
Gear: 7m

Postby kaioe » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:08 pm

sure If you just go a bit up or downwind of the rigging space it is not that bad...well not so on main beach though ;-) from dolphin to doodles it is a nightmare...a lot of beginnes with twintip just ruining waveriding ...turning before the whitewater...

you can try sunset ...a bit more gusty there and sometimes packed with windsurfers....or downwind of bigbay...

I like the natural selction from shorebreak and gusty wind ;-)

piccio
Frequent Poster

Postby piccio » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:18 pm

It is not a real big problem....yust pay attention.....ocean is big enough for all .anycase is fun .....coming here it is a must for kiters ....snow yesterday in rome ....so worth paying the queue!!!!!!

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:07 am

piccio wrote: It is not a real big problem....yust pay attention.....ocean is big enough for all .anycase is fun .....coming here it is a must for kiters ....snow yesterday in rome ....so worth paying the queue!!!!!!
ha! well I was not choosing between snow and kiting but wondering if I should go to Cape Verde or Cape town :)
kaioe wrote: sure If you just go a bit up or downwind of the rigging space it is not that bad...well not so on main beach though ;-) from dolphin to doodles it is a nightmare...a lot of beginnes with twintip just ruining waveriding ...turning before the whitewater...

you can try sunset ...a bit more gusty there and sometimes packed with windsurfers....or downwind of bigbay...

I like the natural selction from shorebreak and gusty wind ;-)
this is what is great about wave places that are only wave riders. there is a nice rotation. but very true about natural selection. if they can't get out there, they can't ruin a good wave.

At most wave spots I've kited, twin tippers and new wave riders will turn around when they see someone riding a wave as they aren't sure what to do (most wave riders won't have been coming at you in the first place as they anticipate the wave and already are upwind or downwind of the break).

piccio
Frequent Poster

Postby piccio » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:03 am

Been in cape verde once for a week .....no more .....not worth ....good for woman catching sun every day.not verywindy .nothing to do other than kiting or snorkeling.
We came here cpt jan 27 ,we had every day full of kiting ,visiting ,going around ,shops,restaurants any kind,red bull,shark cage,table mountain,waterfront, today biscuit mill market and thanks god there is no wind.enough yesterday at witsands with the 5 ful depowered .my legs today walk out of control! Biggestdifference you have to consider is flight time and days of vacation .
7 8 days cape verde
More than 10 days absolutely cape town

kaioe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: capetown
Gear: 7m

Postby kaioe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:20 am

Cape Verde or Cape town!!!

well no second thought ...CAPETOWN!!!! I was in Cabo Verde once, about 10 years ago ...was already expensive than ...nothing to other than kiting ...
if there is no wind you get crazy ....there is literally nothing on this island of sal...
it´s is even worth going for a week to CPT depends where you come from ...if you have a direct flight you just spend the night in an aircraft....I just checked for me it is more travel time to Sal than CPT ...

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:31 pm

I think November and early December are some of the best times to come to Cape Town - it's quieter on the water, a little cooler and the wind can be great. This November was probably some of the best conditions we've seen all season for both twintips, surfboards and foiling both in Blouberg and Langebaan. You just need to come prepared with big and small kites, a selection of boards and then you can make the most of whatever conditions you get.

Return to “Travel”