Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding Kauai

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Paule_S
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording
Favorite Beaches: Kailua Bay, Cabarete Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit III 8 & 15 m; F-One Bandit VIII 10 & 12 m; Ocean Rodeo Mako 150 (2013); RL Boards Carbon 145x45; Duotone Clickbar 2019
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboarding Kauai

Postby Paule_S » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:17 pm

Aloha,

I‘ll be on Kauai for five weeks starting next Saturday, Feb. 23rd. Info on kite spots on Kauai is scarce so I would be glad for any hints as to where it is possible. I'll be staying in Kapaa.
Thanks a lot and aloha

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboarding Kauai

Postby elguapo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 am

well.
i believe nearest kapaa on the east shore lae nani and wailu beach are your best spots..
just be aware this is a rivermouth(sharky?) with strong currents and stronger waves.

on the north shore you'll find:
anini:
...is huge, shallow protected flat water....but lots of snorklers and kids everywhere in the water. ..drift launch(?).
tunnels:
the epic surf spot.. the kind of place its not unusual to see big wave legends like laird hamilton on the water

south..
you have poipu
west...
kekaha

just be aware that kauai is not maui.
the whole island is probably best for experienced kite SURFERs only.

and kauai is an island of small towns..with small town type kite communities
an easy rule.. do *not* kite there if there are no locals kiters already on there. (
and you must be aware when/where the fisherman and swimmers have exclusive access to ocean

..they have rules that are "understood"...but may not published anywhere (so just talk to locals before rigging up)

rleshem
Medium Poster

Re: Kiteboarding Kauai

Postby rleshem » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:51 am

I was in kauai 2 years ago and kited tunnels and Mahaulepu Beach.

Tunnels:
There is a nice lagoon in a wind shadow with good snorkeling and a reef break 100-200m out. Walk right (east) to the point of the beach and you will start feeling the wind filling in. You will most likely need to self launch there are done palm trees to do a tethered launch. Try to get in between the reefs where there a channel.

Mahaulepu

This spot is amazing but you will have to drive 15 minutes on a dirt road starting near the Hyatt . Drive to the last part of the beach by the cliff. Walk towards the beach where there is plenty of space to launch. Once you launch walk with the kite down the beach (west) just past the point and you will see a nice Channell between the reefs - enter there.

Return to “Travel”