Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why Peru is not a more popular kite destination?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
thekitemonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA)
Favorite Beaches: Waddel Creek
Style: Foil, waves
Gear: Surfboards and 2016 Moses 550/325
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why Peru is not a more popular kite destination?

Postby thekitemonster » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:21 am

Eduardo wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:01 pm
jyka wrote: Just came two days ago from Peru (paracas). Yes, it is very windy and water is "cold", need to use a wetsuit. I liked to kite there.
Peru is quite far from Europe and expensive to fly to.
My stomach still hurts. I felt everyone in Paracas got some infection from food. The food wasn't that good in general, compared to Brazil for example..
My wife still hasn't forgiven me for making her spend two weeks in Pacasmayo. She got sick...

The food IS great in Lima though - some of the best in the world in my view. I would go back just to eat. Mancora also has some excellent food but not at the level Lima is famous for. The small random towns though will probably not be kind to your stomach. But those waves are sweet for goofy riders like me...
About this food issue: What foods have made you sick? What is good to order that won't make you sick? What dishes are really good? And what do you pay to go out for the really good food you mention in Lima? Any veteran Peru travellers or Peruvians out there have any advice on how to find the goods? Eating new and exotic food is a huge part of travelling. Food poisoning is always a hazard anywhere.

Worst I ever got was on Kauai. Salmonilla. Spraying mud in every direction. I was certain I was dying. Ask your wife what exactly got her sick so we can all try to avoid it! You got me worried, I'm all queezy now.

My buddy went last year to Pacasmayo, he reckoned it was so crowded he didn't want to surf. Said he'd stay home and surf next time for thinner crowds. Heard other reports from hardcore surfers that for surfing Pacasmayo has been ruined by crowds. But I've heard the kiting is good, that the wind blows solid 10m about half the time. Apparently not solid 7m every day like La Ventana or something. True?

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong but A) you'll get sick B) You can't foil as there's fishing nets all over C)If you lose your board to the beach it will get stolen D)Too crowded for surfing when the wind doesn't blow which is half the time. True or False?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:38 am

Friends went from NZ and said it was surprisingly cold.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Has thanked: 0

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:27 pm

Hello,

Peru is a 3rd world country. We have crime and other social issues. You are correct, Pacasmyo the water is cold (side note: Larry Hamilton surf it without wetsuit all winter

In Pacasmayo the wind is only good between the end of April and the start of June (12 or 10-meter kite). I travel to Pacasmayo in May for many years because I know I will ride incredible waves on a kite

You can stay home, travel to Australia Gold coast or Hawaii) the ocean water is warm, has perfect waves and you would not get sick eating at McDonald's.

Everyone is welcome but you need a guide or be careful where you eat. To travel to a 3rd world country is an adventure, sometimes the trip is not what you hope would be, hence everything else is life like a marriage or a new lemon car.

I have a great time every time I go back home. I am going again in 43 days if the coronavirus issue improves if not I will reschedule for May 2021.

cheers

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Sounds good. maybe peru is gonna be the next kite hotspot. Don't be mad when everyone starts going there.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:17 pm

thekitemonster wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:21 am
Eduardo wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:01 pm
jyka wrote: Just came two days ago from Peru (paracas). Yes, it is very windy and water is "cold", need to use a wetsuit. I liked to kite there.
Peru is quite far from Europe and expensive to fly to.
My stomach still hurts. I felt everyone in Paracas got some infection from food. The food wasn't that good in general, compared to Brazil for example..
My wife still hasn't forgiven me for making her spend two weeks in Pacasmayo. She got sick...

The food IS great in Lima though - some of the best in the world in my view. I would go back just to eat. Mancora also has some excellent food but not at the level Lima is famous for. The small random towns though will probably not be kind to your stomach. But those waves are sweet for goofy riders like me...
About this food issue: What foods have made you sick? What is good to order that won't make you sick? What dishes are really good? And what do you pay to go out for the really good food you mention in Lima? Any veteran Peru travellers or Peruvians out there have any advice on how to find the goods? Eating new and exotic food is a huge part of travelling. Food poisoning is always a hazard anywhere.

Worst I ever got was on Kauai. Salmonilla. Spraying mud in every direction. I was certain I was dying. Ask your wife what exactly got her sick so we can all try to avoid it! You got me worried, I'm all queezy now.

My buddy went last year to Pacasmayo, he reckoned it was so crowded he didn't want to surf. Said he'd stay home and surf next time for thinner crowds. Heard other reports from hardcore surfers that for surfing Pacasmayo has been ruined by crowds. But I've heard the kiting is good, that the wind blows solid 10m about half the time. Apparently not solid 7m every day like La Ventana or something. True?

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong but A) you'll get sick B) You can't foil as there's fishing nets all over C)If you lose your board to the beach it will get stolen D)Too crowded for surfing when the wind doesn't blow which is half the time. True or False?
Crowds in Pacasmayo? No way. I can't imagine what your baseline would be to consider that crowded. Yes there are other kiters but it's an orderly rotation and the surfers prefer morning before wind builds. The wind there is very light. Enough wind maybe 1/2 of days at most and some of those you will need to loop your kite to keep it in position while on the wave. I SUP'd on no wind days and always had my choice of waves, June in peak season.

As for getting sick, the supermarket has cats wandering around, there is garbage everywhere, etc. so you can't expect high hygiene. I didn't get sick but my wife did. We travel many under-developed places and know how to be careful, but our stomachs are not as good as the locals. Not sure what did it...

Crime: yes Lima is an issue and locals warned not to show a purse in a car as thieves might break windows at a stop light. But Pacasmayo seemed chill and everyone knows everyone so if someone takes your board, someone will know who did it. make some friends and no worries.

Foiling: I didn't do it. had not started at the time. yes fish nets but they are marked. I saw Hamilton there. he is amazing. with the light winds, this might be the best spot in the world for goofy wave foilers. it is also a great spot for multi-sport mixing surf/SUP/foil/kite. If you go to kite only without a foil, you might be disappointed.

JayTC
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Currently Brazil Parajuru
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa - Spain
Prea - Brazil
Sakalava Bay - Madagascar
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Pro Whip
Dutotone Neo 6, 8, 12m2

Postby JayTC » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:17 pm

We did most of the spots between Tatajuba and Parajuru in Brazil. Peru only Paracas as it was not the season for the north.
We will definitely come back to go to the North to hit the waves.

I think it comes down to preference as they are very different types of destinations.

From my time their I don't share the same view as few of the guys above:
- Food in Peru is amazing, I've found it much better than in Brazil
- I've spent 1 months in Peru and 2 months in Brazil. Never felt unsecured in either one
- You do need a wetsuit in Paracas, but with my 3/2 it was all good in (+water close to shore is warm). So didn't feel it was really a hurdle with warm air temperature

Definitely agree that Peru is underrated. But yea, tough one when you get 30°C in Brazil.
Next destination in South America will be north Peru for us though.

michaelb1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Outer Banks, NC
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Moto, Cabrinha Contra. North Wam directional. Spleen Session TT. Shinn Bronq TT.

Postby michaelb1 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:45 pm

"Why Peru is not a more popular kite destination?"

Man I have been asking myself that question for years. It has been on my travel list for a long time. I was finally going to head down there to celebrate leaving the military after 26 years. I was going to do a month and hit up all the spots, especially PACASMAYO. Then COVID hit and it all got cancelled.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm

michaelb1 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:45 pm
"Why Peru is not a more popular kite destination?"

Man I have been asking myself that question for years. It has been on my travel list for a long time. I was finally going to head down there to celebrate leaving the military after 26 years. I was going to do a month and hit up all the spots, especially PACASMAYO. Then COVID hit and it all got cancelled.
So..........shut up!

Mars is a way better place. GO SPACE EX!

Return to “Travel”