Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why Peru is not a more popular kite destination?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Why Peru is not a more popular kite destination?

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:03 pm

home location Australia Peruvian born. It takes me 24 hours from Melb to LIma and a Bus drive all night to Pacasmayo. Happy to do it anytime . Pacasmayo has a long waves, side off shore wind and the food in Peru is amazing.

see you soon Pacasmayo.
These users thanked the author ciscokitesurfer for the post:
wildk peru (Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Easy. I would never go to Pacasmayo for kiting. Cold water, offshore wind and especially no professional rescue service I guess...
Ever broke a line after the breaks with offshore winds?
:o

On top of that possible criminality and a very long trip..

Sorry..

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:27 am

Would love to go, but flight costs and basically two days to get there (two days to get back) take its toll.

Would really love to get on that wave tho' being goofy #heaven ;)
These users thanked the author SonnyRider for the post:
wildk peru (Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:34 pm)

wildk peru
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mancora, Peru
Favorite Beaches: Lobitos, Mancora
Style: waves
Gear: cabrinha, firewire

Postby wildk peru » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:41 pm
20 degree water in Peru vs. 30 degree water in Brazil ... pretty easy choice.
23 degree to be exact :naughty: At least in the north of Peru, this is the average water temperature and 27 outside temperature, endless summer. I personally kite and surf with a good spring suit in the winter (July - October) and just a jacket during spring (May - July) and Automn (November - December). This is between Warm & Cool, exactly like the types of wax we use here :thumb:

I could not answer before, because I was doing a surf & kite in the south of Chile, where the water is truly cold. With the wetsuit quality nowadays, I must say the experience in cold water has changed a lot.

Personally I prefer cool, or even cold water, and a good adventure than being among crowds.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:48 am

wildk peru wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:37 pm
Hello,

Why everybody goes to Brazil for their kitesurf holidays ? You will tell me : maybe because the wind is strong and like a fan all day everyday, because there are amazing infinite downwinders, because it is relatively cheap, the water is warm and there are palmtrees. OK that's true! I must reckon Brazil has most advantages every kitesurfers are looking for! :thumb:

But in Peru we also have so many pros too:
> First the wave riding 100 times better than Brazil, with the north shore (Mancora) and Pacasmayo, the longest waves in the World to be ridden with a kite,
> There are all type of spots (waves, flat lagunes, choppy, downwinders possible too)
> There is wind all year depending on the spot
> the statistics of wind are super high!
> we also have palm trees in sunny beaches in the north
> And last but not least: you can kite mostly alone, or with very few other kitesurfers, which mostly make a kite spot very special!
Now yes the water is colder than Brazil. Need a 3/2 for the south and a springsuit for Mancora.

If you want more info about Peru, I have released a complete guide:
https://www.wild-kitesurf-peru.com/kite ... s-in-peru/

Hope you like it! :heartface:
First time I hear someone complain why their (very good) spots are not more popular unless all they really care for is the business...

wildk peru
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mancora, Peru
Favorite Beaches: Lobitos, Mancora
Style: waves
Gear: cabrinha, firewire

Postby wildk peru » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:02 pm

windmaker wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:48 am
wildk peru wrote:
Hello,

Why everybody goes to Brazil for their kitesurf holidays ? You will tell me : maybe because the wind is strong and like a fan all day everyday, because there are amazing infinite downwinders, because it is relatively cheap, the water is warm and there are palmtrees. OK that's true! I must reckon Brazil has most advantages every kitesurfers are looking for! :thumb:

> First the wave riding 100 times better than Brazil, with the north shore (Mancora) and Pacasmayo, the longest waves in the World to be ridden with a kite,
> There are all type of spots (waves, flat lagunes, choppy, downwinders possible too)
> And last but not least: you can kite mostly alone, or with very few other kitesurfers, which mostly make a kite spot very special!
Now yes the water is colder than Brazil. Need a 3/2 for the south and a springsuit for Mancora.

First time I hear someone complain why their (very good) spots are not more popular unless all they really care for is the business...
My business name being clearly stated as my profile name and the link coming from a website with the same name, I must recognize your perspicacity :thumb:

I have been kitesurfing the Peruvian North shore on my own and with a few friends or guests for 10 years, and I do not mind sharing it with other kitesurfers who come here either with us, or on their own, and this guide I just release will especially help the second category. I know that it can sounds weird when you live on spots close to megalopolis, but it is obviously not the case here, plus most Peruvian people surf and don't kitesurf, that's we still ride mostly alone the big part of the wind season here. With an infinite coastline and being so far from the occidental countries, there is - fortunately - still a big margin before it gets overcrowded here. So, no we don't mind a few more riders more :)
These users thanked the author wildk peru for the post:
SonnyRider (Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:48 pm)

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 pm

wildk peru wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:02 pm
windmaker wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:48 am
wildk peru wrote:
Hello,

My business name being clearly stated as my profile name and the link coming from a website with the same name, I must recognize your perspicacity :thumb:

I have been kitesurfing the Peruvian North shore on my own and with a few friends or guests for 10 years, and I do not mind sharing it with other kitesurfers who come here either with us, or on their own, and this guide I just release will especially help the second category. I know that it can sounds weird when you live on spots close to megalopolis, but it is obviously not the case here, plus most Peruvian people surf and don't kitesurf, that's we still ride mostly alone the big part of the wind season here. With an infinite coastline and being so far from the occidental countries, there is - fortunately - still a big margin before it gets overcrowded here. So, no we don't mind a few more riders more :)
Wildk is on the money. To get even close to Peru waves in Brazil, you have to go to the south of Brazil in Florianolpolis and it's still not as good. Southern Peru in Paracas also kicks ass. Peru is it's own animal and definitely should be on the bucket list for any adventurer. Make no mistake, Peru is gaining in popularity.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:52 am

off shore winds...and cold water?

michaelb1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Outer Banks, NC
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Moto, Cabrinha Contra. North Wam directional. Spleen Session TT. Shinn Bronq TT.

Postby michaelb1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Pacasmayo has been on my list for years. From where I live near Washington DC it’s an 11 hour flight and then a 14hr bus ride.
Still, those long clean lefts are so tempting.

hellomaui
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 170
Local Beach: Maui Kite Beach,Kihei
Favorite Beaches: Maui Kite Beach,Kihei,Sherman Island,PEru,DR
Gear: Naish

Postby hellomaui » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:20 pm

Did 2 trips to Peru from Maui, Hawaii.
Trip 1---Took a 4/3 wetsuit...could have used a 3/2...9m and a 12m kite
Visited Machu Pichu--WOW!!! Worth it for sure..epic train ride...train breaks down on the way back..classic-demon clown on the train to entertain in case of break down...!!!
-Kited Pacasmayo...1 day epic long rides...next day kite falls..caught on buoy...lost my bar...found by fisherman after return to Maui..they held and returned it for a $100 ransom...Paid local kite resort for rescue services..glad I did...
-Surfed Longest wave at Puerto Chicama
-Checked out surf at Huanchaco and Chan Chan ruins...
Longest Bus Rides of my life..carry a crucifix for sure...

Trip 2 Worked World Bank meeting Lima Audio Visual..took trip to upper Amazon Jungle to see animals at URKU animal rescue...

Hike through jungle at dusk by myself to get back to town...made it alive!!
Back to Lima on way to Paracas National Park for kitesurf...explored Balesstas islands, drank Picso,went to desert oasis at Huacachina ..
Fun kitesurf epic people food...
Would go again!!!
These users thanked the author hellomaui for the post:
rw30 (Thu May 06, 2021 10:03 am)

Return to “Travel”