Fonte Da Telha, Portugal
Lagoa de Obidos, Portugal
Favorite Beaches: Lagoa de Obidos, Guincho Portugal
Style: waveriding
Gear: Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: North, Naish, Mystic, Ride Engine Portugal

Pensacola and around/ summer time

Postby Stefan1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Aloha! Does anybody around Pensacola, U.S. could describe me the wind condtions from March up to November?
I was trying to check with the archieve on windguru, but looks like no previous info about it. Thank you in advance!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pensacola and around/ summer time

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:55 pm

March is considered the end of Florida's kiting season and can be okay, but after that, you'll generally have very light wind, except in connection with storm systems. The Atlantic hurricane season extends from June 1 through November 30, so tropical systems can move through the Pensacola area during that period. If you kite around storm systems, you're taking a risk, but many people do it. Most of the time, however, the wind will be very light -- i.e., not kite-able unless you ride a foilboard.

Stefan1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Fonte Da Telha, Portugal

Postby Stefan1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:14 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:55 pm
March is considered the end of Florida's kiting season and can be okay, but after that, you'll generally have very light wind, except in connection with storm systems. The Atlantic hurricane season extends from June 1 through November 30, so tropical systems can move through the Pensacola area during that period. If you kite around storm systems, you're taking a risk, but many people do it. Most of the time, however, the wind will be very light -- i.e., not kite-able unless you ride a foilboard.
Thank you so much for the clear information. I have noticed that there are couple of kite schools which are operated even during the summer, must be only XL size are used.

Kees
Medium Poster
Weight: 200lbs
Local Beach: Panama City beach, Fl
Style: Freeride
Gear: Lieuwe shotgun, lite wave wing, LF overdrive, pivot, core xr6

Postby Kees » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:27 am

March is good, april can be good, after that it’s mostly afternoon sea breeze good for large kite/board or foil, some years better than others. You will need bigger than a 12 rpm. TD, TS and hurricane are hit or miss, hurricane Michael wiped Panama City out, but Fort Walton and Pensacola had a blast I’m guessing :-?

Stefan1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Fonte Da Telha, Portugal

Postby Stefan1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:18 am

How about some kite schools there? Do they operate during the summer season?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:47 pm

Stefan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:18 am
How about some kite schools there? Do they operate during the summer season?
Hi Stefan1, I think you and I were talking via our Facebook page a few days ago. Just like I told you then, in July, it's going to be either 17's with a big lightwind board or *maybe* make your 12m work with a foilboard. I can understand if you're hoping that FLandOBX, kees, and I are all wrong, and that your 12m and twintip will work. I wake up every day in the summer and wish that were true! :lol: The only caveat to that might be if, as has already been mentioned, we have some sort of tropical disturbance going on. At that point, all bets are off. And to answer your other question, yes we teach through the summer. Big kites are the rule and you can't get out every day. Hope that helps.

SENDIT!
These users thanked the author SENDIT! for the post:
Stefan1 (Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:51 pm

Kees wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:27 am
March is good, april can be good, after that it’s mostly afternoon sea breeze good for large kite/board or foil, some years better than others. You will need bigger than a 12 rpm. TD, TS and hurricane are hit or miss, hurricane Michael wiped Panama City out, but Fort Walton and Pensacola had a blast I’m guessing :-?
Yeah, we got lucky over here, Kees. While you, Dale, Wayne and the crew were ducking for cover, we had wind in the low 20's. Amazing what 75+ miles difference made. I just drove through Tallahassee a couple of weeks ago on my way to Crystal River. It was very sobering indeed to see the amount of destruction with just the trees that I could see from the interstate. I'm glad you guys made it out ok! :thumb:

Nageil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montrose, Waukegan, St. Joseph, SoHa
Gear: Ozone 7-13 qm, RLboards.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nageil » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 am

and adding to the bad summer wind statistics, there is now a kitesurfing ban for pretty much every beach around the Pensacola area between April 1 through September 1. Yes, that includes Big Sabine, unfortunately.

https://www.nps.gov/guis/learn/manageme ... g4Veb5O6Ek
(scroll down to section Section "1.5 - 18 Kite Surfing Closures")

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SENDIT! » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Nageil wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 am
and adding to the bad summer wind statistics, there is now a kitesurfing ban for pretty much every beach around the Pensacola area between April 1 through September 1. Yes, that includes Big Sabine, unfortunately.

https://www.nps.gov/guis/learn/manageme ... g4Veb5O6Ek
(scroll down to section Section "1.5 - 18 Kite Surfing Closures")
Actually, that's not completely true. That ban is only in the National Park Service areas, mostly the Gulf Island National Seashore Areas. Though it is annoying how the bird areas seem to be getting a little bigger every year, there are still plenty of places to kiteboard that are NOT in the banned areas. Anyone wanting further info on this can contact me and I'll be glad to help.

SENDIT!

Return to “Travel”