Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ended up choosing Paros, Greece

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
bkkite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 9/12/19m (switched from Slingshot Rallys). Slingshot Misfit 146cm, North Nugget 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ended up choosing Paros, Greece

Postby bkkite » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks everyone who commented on my previous post about where to go in July ( viewtopic.php?f=83&t=2403126&p=1059200#p1059200 )

I ended up choosing Paros, Greece, and I'm going to go there for a week with my wife at the beginning of July. She's taking off after that first week, and my question is whether I should go check out other parts of Greece, or whether I should stay put?

Suggestions I've heard are Naxos, Limnos, Kos, Rhodes, etc

Qiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Mostly foil

Re: Ended up choosing Paros , Greece

Postby Qiter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:27 am

Naxos is a good choice as an alternative. Its not far from Paros, you can go on the ferry with your kite gear as a pedestrian for a few Euros, it takes you in 45min to Naxos and then just rent a scooter at the harbour and drive about 8km to the spot (Mikri Vigla). Can be done as a day trip or stay a few days (lots of accomodation around the spot). Naxos is a more quiet island compared to Paros due to its tiny airport, so less tourism, but plenty of other things to do in addition to kiting. In july, its rather windy so make sure you take the 7m..

The other islands are also nice, but involve some major traveling..

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:10 pm

bkkite wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:52 pm
Thanks everyone who commented on my previous post about where to go in July ( viewtopic.php?f=83&t=2403126&p=1059200#p1059200 )

I ended up choosing Paros, Greece, and I'm going to go there for a week with my wife at the beginning of July. She's taking off after that first week, and my question is whether I should go check out other parts of Greece, or whether I should stay put?

Suggestions I've heard are Naxos, Limnos, Kos, Rhodes, etc
Should you check out other parts of Greece ... for kiting, or in general?

Greece is amazing. It's not that the kiting is the best in the world, but in combination with the scenic beauty, culture, history, it is unbeatable. Ranking in my top 5 remarkable places I have visited in my life would be Thira (Santorini). Very busy with tourists, obviously. in July, but still worth visiting. However, really a place to go with your significant other.

bkkite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 9/12/19m (switched from Slingshot Rallys). Slingshot Misfit 146cm, North Nugget 5'2
Been thanked: 0

Postby bkkite » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks!

Naxos seems like a no brainer, because it'll probably be worth a change after a week. My wife is leaving after the week in Paros, so I'll be on my own and I just wonder if its worth the effort to get to some of these other places to see different islands and different kite spots?

I'd like to kite in those spots, but I'm also interested in history and relaxing :)

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha beach, Le Morne, Silver Rock
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, and Slingshot (wow I have a lot of stuff...)

Re: Ended up choosing Paros, Greece

Postby Eduardo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:40 pm

Your wife will love Santorini. Otherwise, I don't think it would be worth it (time, hassle, ...) to go island hopping.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:19 pm

bkkite wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:32 pm
Thanks!

Naxos seems like a no brainer, because it'll probably be worth a change after a week. My wife is leaving after the week in Paros, so I'll be on my own and I just wonder if its worth the effort to get to some of these other places to see different islands and different kite spots?

I'd like to kite in those spots, but I'm also interested in history and relaxing :)
A memory that stands out in mind : taking the ferry from Paros to Naxos (on my way to Santorini, I believe). Wind was a typical summer Meltemi - perhaps 20 - 25 knots). The ferry leaves the port moving more or less with the wind direction. I was on the side of the ship completely sheltered from the wind. As the boat came about it turned directly into the wind ... instant 40 knot wind on deck. Everything on deck that wasn't battened down: hats, clothing, umbrellas etc. immediately blew over-board.

Good times! :D

Return to “Travel”