Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to go for three weeks end of 2019 (Nov.-Dec.)?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
blablubb1234
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Parajuru (one and only :D)
Style: Beginner - No style at all :)
Gear: None of my own.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Where to go for three weeks end of 2019 (Nov.-Dec.)?

Postby blablubb1234 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:33 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:10 pm
Where are you flying from?
Zurich (ZRH) or Frankfurt (FRA). Other options in central Europe might work as well.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:51 pm

flights with TAP to Brazil shouldn't be too expensive.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
blablubb1234 (Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:43 pm

blablubb1234 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:34 pm
Thanks for all the tips. Still, I am entirely confused now... :D Some say Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, etc.) is good in winter despite (or even because of) the winter monsun, others say I should not do that at all...

I agree that Brasil would probably be best, but the connections are kinda shitty, take very long and are quite expensive. That's why I'd still like to go somewhere else.
yeah.. there was some confusion/misinfo in this thread

december is not monsoon season in philippines (more or less)
In the Philippines, Amihan refers to the season dominated by the trade winds, which are experienced in the Philippines as a cool northeast wind.[1] It is characterized by moderate temperatures, little or no rainfall in the central and western part of Luzon and Visayas, and a prevailing wind from the east. On the east coast of Luzon it brings drizzling rainfall and squalls. The effect on Mindanao relatively less than in the northern part of the country.

As a rule of thumb, the Philippines' amihan weather pattern begins sometime in November or December and ends sometime in May or June. There may, however, be wide variations from year to year.[2]

Throughout the rest of the year, the Philippines experiences the west or southwest wind; south west monsoon,[1] which in turn is referred to as the Habagat. The habagat season is characterized by hot and humid weather, frequent heavy rainfall, and a prevailing wind from the west.

in thailand....it varies.
The rainy season in Thailand varies depending on the region and is influenced by the monsoon. In most of Thailand rainy season is experienced from May to October. The rainy season on the east coast of Southern Thailand (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan) normally starts later and can last until the beginning of December.
https://www.thai.lt/thailand-travel/wea ... iny-season
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
blablubb1234 (Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:36 pm)

blablubb1234
Rare Poster

Postby blablubb1234 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:59 pm

Havre wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:02 pm
A friend of mine went to Cuyo. Loved it, but it is in the middle of nowhere. If you like that kind of stuff then it works.
I can't find a single flight/way to get to Cuyo. Wouldn't be too bad to be in the middle of nowhere kiting :) But how did your friend get there?

blablubb1234
Rare Poster

Postby blablubb1234 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Eduardo wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:56 pm
By December, the entire Caribbean is on. choose your favorite island and it will work. At this time, further east and south is a bit more steady and reliable in my experience. most islands are good for flat water and beginners with the exception of Barbados. these islands are also great for snorkeling, scuba, ... many options.

if you would like an epic wind blast, costa rica is also on by then. this area is great for hiking, jungle, monkeys, adventure, ... I went twice in my big air days. wow.

both of these areas are warm - no wet suit.
Why is Barbados not suitable (just asking because it would be quite easy to get there from here)? Any particular recommendation for Costa Rica? I know it's amazing for surfing, haven't really considered it for kiting.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:04 am

I wasn’t too impressed with Costa Rica. Cold water, too many stingrays, and not much around. If you are thinking of that area check out Ometepe in Nicaragua. Same winds but warm fresh water, awesome area(it’s an island made of three volcanos) with plenty of night life, and cheaper.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
blablubb1234 (Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 pm)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:19 am

Barbados is generally wavy. Costa Rica is an amazing place to visit in general. There are only two well established places to kite due to wind direction (east to west): Lake Arenal & Bahia Salinas. Both can be VERY windy - 30 knots plus, so not really a place for a beginner/intermediate.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
blablubb1234 (Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:52 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am

blablubb1234 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:59 pm
Havre wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:02 pm
A friend of mine went to Cuyo. Loved it, but it is in the middle of nowhere. If you like that kind of stuff then it works.
I can't find a single flight/way to get to Cuyo. Wouldn't be too bad to be in the middle of nowhere kiting :) But how did your friend get there?
Ferry from Puerto Princesa - which looks like an amazing place in itself.

As I said - it is in the middle of nowhere.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
blablubb1234 (Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:53 pm)

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Postby North_Wind » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 am

elguapo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:30 pm
Havre wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 pm
Caribbean is better a bit later if you ask me - not that I have the full overview of all the Caribbean. Tanzania if that is Zanzibar is too early. Wind is better mid January.

Personally I wouldn't even consider anything else than Brazil. Jericoacoara is just magical.

Not sure when the season starts in SA? Cold water, but Cape Town area is brilliant. Langebaan is close to perfect for inexperienced riders.
i like the idea of south africa..
(but maybe water is too cold for OP)

but yeah... there is a reason brasil is so popular.
you wont find anywhere better or kiteboarding.
We have two lagoons near Cape Town ... water not too cold maybe a 3/2 shorty or board shorts and rash vest is fine. Langebaan is 1h 10m drive North of the Blouberg "kite beach" area and Hermanus 1h 20m the other way. The wind gets up around midday so you can leave late morning and be there for the wind and pack up at 5pm and be home for drinks by sunset. The lagoons get a bit busy after Christmas (27 Dec) through mid Feb but at the times you are talking about (Nov to just before Christmas) they are peachy.

We have lower rates and special offers on from now until mid December as well :)

James / BA
Cape Town Kite Club
These users thanked the author North_Wind for the post:
blablubb1234 (Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:37 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:34 pm

"Too cold" is subjective of course. I'm not saying it is impossible for someone to be comfortable kiting with a board shorts in the Cape Town area, but I would say that is the exception rather than the norm. I'm not sure if I saw a single kiter in Langebaan without a wetsuit - so I wouldn't plan on going without. But as stated earlier I don't think kiting with a 3/2 without gloves and booties is an issue at all (also subjective of course).

As for the wind. James would know this a lot better than me, but when I was there it didn't really pick up until between 14 and 15:00 in Langebaan. Plenty of time for a couple of hours before the sun gets low, but I didn't have a single day with wind so early that I could kite, eat and then go out for a second session. It was always one long session or two shorter with a small break to have some water or whatever.

Still think the CT area sounds like the best alternative to Brazil.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
blablubb1234 (Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:38 pm)

Return to “Travel”