Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to go for three weeks end of 2019 (Nov.-Dec.)?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where to go for three weeks end of 2019 (Nov.-Dec.)?

Postby downunder » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Sure CT sounds like it. Except....

There is no drinking water heaps of time, stolen gear is a norm, etc

Sounds harsh, but hey, each to his own.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
blablubb1234 (Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:24 pm

What? No denying CT is rough, but Langebaan certainly isn't. And let's not exaggerate the problems in CT.

Showering in a bucket is a bit odd, but drinking water is hardly an issue.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
blablubb1234 (Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:08 pm

kmagill
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kmagill » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:47 am

Check out Freedom Kitesurfing Philippines, they run Liveaboard kitesafaris an an amazing 44ft catamaran.

camiri
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fergusson Park
Kulim Park
Maketu Estuary
Little Waihi
Bay Of Plenty, New Zealand
Gear: Airush Ultra 17M
Airush Ultra 12M
North Carve 10M
North Carve 8M
Airush Apex Team
Airush Sector V4

Postby camiri » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:37 am

Couldn't be bothered reading the thread but try Perth, Australia.

blablubb1234
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Parajuru (one and only :D)
Style: Beginner - No style at all :)
Gear: None of my own.
Been thanked: 0

Postby blablubb1234 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:52 pm

So, to whoever might be interested, I decided to go for My Hoa lagoon (Vietnam) from 25th of November to 22nd of December 2019 and this is my very short report:

I got there (Saigon) from Zürich (Switzerland) super cheap (600 EUR) with Edelweiss Air (luggage is no problem with them). After a few days in Saigon I took a train (yes) to Phan Rang - Thap Cham (around 3 EUR) and a cab (around 15 EUR) to my hotel (Phan Rang Kite Center, see URL above). On my way back I flew from Cham Ran airport to Ha Noi and back to Saigon (the national flights are basically for free, 20 EUR if you book ahead of time; the flights are reliable, though Vietjet has quite a reputation for being late - and they live up to the expectations).

The place is really nice, the hotel rooms are very new, clean and huge. I stayed on my own so it was a bit more expensive for Vietnamese standards, but if you stay with two people, 25 EUR a night incl. breakfast is a steal, giving you live on the kite spot.

The wind at the spot was blasting around the clock during my stay, though a bit choppy at times (mostly getting better after noon). The temperatures were very nice (never too hot, never too cold, no rain, few clouds). The water unfortunately was too shallow/non-existent during some days of my stay. Therefor, you should definitely check the tidal levels during the days you plan to stay before you actually book your trip. Still, even with no water around there is enough to do (cruise around on a motobike, relax on the beach, drive to Phan Rang, ...). There are unfortunately some hazards though, in my opinion the linked report does not emphasize them enough: You can very easily scratch your whole body on the coral remains (it is getting better indeed, but not good yet), hit one of the pipes going from the open water to the shrimp farms or smash into some concrete pillars holding them down so the pipes don't float (this is what happened to me) or get dragged over a reef if you're out too far. You should definitely wear booties (or be a more experienced rider than I am).

All in all, you will have a great time in the lagoon, especially if you check the tidal levels upfront (this will of course reduce the possibility of injuries dramatically). I'm still curing one of the bruises now, but I can recommend it still.

In case you have any questions, feel free to PM me or ask in the thread. Thanks at this point to all the other suggestions here :)

Return to “Travel”