Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Traveling to Cuba as a US citizen?

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:28 am

It's looking like I might get the month of December off so I'm starting to research where Id want to go and Cuba is on top of my list. Looking for something inexpensive, where I can kite or hydrofoil everyday, peaceful, and on the water. Looks like Cuba might fill that but I'm unsure if I can go as an US citizen. Anyone have any experience or info on this? Looks like I'm unable to go as a tourist but are there other means? Also always looking for other suggestions on where to go. Thinking also Peru, Sri Lanka, or Thailand but I've been to those countries already and itching for something new.

=Jason-

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Re: Traveling to Cuba as a US citizen?

Postby elguapo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:42 pm

it's not as easy to travel as it was during the last admin (trump ended the people-to-people category....which everyone used for legal travel)

if you wanted to enter legally...
as someone that does youtube videos/blogging..."Journalistic activity" is probably the category you would want to select.
you dont need pre-approval anymore...your visit simply should match a category to stay "legal". i never heard of anyone every being asked the category (but you need to fit in something...to be legal)
there are like 10 cities with direct flights nowadays.. and the airline should direct you for the cuba tourist card...costs vary by airline.
easiest thing.... pay cash and stay in local "casas"

legal travel:
https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... qs_new.pdf
americans should not spend $$$ here:
https://www.state.gov/cuba-sanctions/cu ... y-26-2019/

the "illegal"...and traditional way folks would go to cuba..
you simply travel to a gateway city 1st (protip: merida...not cuncan is usually the cheapest direct flight)
it is the usa that doesnt want citizens there...cuba doesnt care...and they will stamp the card(not passport) regardless if you come from usa or mexico
when you return to usa you're asked about where you came from (mexico)
thats it

no comment on the hypocrisy of the land of the free's travel restrictions to cuba...
:-/

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:28 am
It's looking like I might get the month of December off so I'm starting to research where Id want to go and Cuba is on top of my list. Looking for something inexpensive, where I can kite or hydrofoil everyday, peaceful, and on the water. Looks like Cuba might fill that but I'm unsure if I can go as an US citizen. Anyone have any experience or info on this? Looks like I'm unable to go as a tourist but are there other means? Also always looking for other suggestions on where to go. Thinking also Peru, Sri Lanka, or Thailand but I've been to those countries already and itching for something new.

=Jason-
Where are you traveling from?

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque
Style: awkward
Gear: 15m Core XR3, 12 & 7 m Core XR4, 10, Core XR5.
LF Wow 3, 12/10/8 m
CF Raptor Pro Ltd, Ocean Rodeo Jester.
Nobile Foil

Postby windybrit » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Just an FYI , if you fly to Cuba from Canada the flights transit through US airspace, Dept of Homeland Security is given a passenger manifest.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:46 pm

My girlfriend and I went to Cuba last year as part of a cruise line trip (Royal Cab). A few things to keep in mind if you do plan on going there.:
1) "Traveling" to Cuba from the US is still prohibited and yes, you have to be there based on one of the 12 categories. For us this meant that we could not simply get off the boat and walk around; we were required to be part of specific tourist groups. This of course meant no kiting for me since the spots were pretty far from Havana but assuming you go there based on one of the 12 you should be fine.
2) For currency exchange is rough so really do your homework here. There are 2 types of currency - I think its CUP and CUC. You want CUC currency.
3) It's really safe - at no time did we feel uncomfortable and the people are awesome as is the food.
4) Remember, as soon as you step into the country your cell phone service will be off (at least mine was) so plan accordingly. If it were me I probably wouldn't travel to kite there unless I was with a local.

patrelsa
Rare Poster
Gear: kite

Postby patrelsa » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:22 am

Just fly to cancun then buy your ticket to cuba....like someone said they dont stamp passport.....its a short cheap flight....usa will never know.....you can now donate me a couple of beers for the free info :)

Goavegas
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grado
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Tarifa ,
Gear: Cabrinha FX 10 - 8 X-Caliber

Postby Goavegas » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:35 pm

It is funny that in 2019 the land off freedom prohibit It's Citizen to travel,maybe they are worry american's can see the truth.

Shiki
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kalapitya
Favorite Beaches: Kalapitya, Boracay
Style: Free ride
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Faith kite boarding.elements resort. Kite center srilanka
Been thanked: 0

Postby Shiki » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Hello There Adventure Log! if you are wish to go to Sri Lanka and have a tranquil vacation with kite surfing and kite safari also have some dolphin watching a privacy within your own accommodation you can check out https://www.elements-resort.com/ they are located on a great spot which is very close to the lagoon and beach.
if you are interested on more info let me know so I give you the contact of someone I know that works there.

Return to “Travel”